[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HDTV questions

rhippens

so we're moving next week and i currently don't have hdtv yet. we will have cable service in our new area and i currently have a toshiba tv that is hd ready. my wife doesn't care what i do so i'm asking the following questions. i know a lot of you are really proficient in this area so i'd take any and all advice. the questions i have right now are:

1. do i need it or care?

2. is it worth the extra money per month?

3. should i buy my own receiver for the house to avoid "renting" one from the cable company?

4. if yes, what would you recommend for a reasonably priced model?

5. am i going to regret buying this stuff when something better comes out? basically, is the technology still advancing enough that i should just wait until things are rather standard?

let me know what you guys think. i'll probably be trying to make a decision later this week.

I have 3 HD sets and cant live without it. I have a Pioneer Elite Plasma hanging on the wall that is the f'n bomb! But I am no expert. Kid Cid is the resident audio-videophile around here and I usually listen to his advice...

1. do i need it or care?

2. is it worth the extra money per month?

3. should i buy my own receiver for the house to avoid "renting" one from the cable company?

4. if yes, what would you recommend for a reasonably priced model?

5. am i going to regret buying this stuff when something better comes out? basically, is the technology still advancing enough that i should just wait until things are rather standard?

let me know what you guys think. i'll probably be trying to make a decision later this week.

1. Yes. After I got it I wondered how I ever lived without it.

2. Yes (see answer to #1)

3. Doesn't matter to me. I "rent" my HD receiver from Directv. Whatever you get is eventually going to get outdated so why not rent and upgrade as better receivers come out.

4. I like the Tivo HD receiver more then Directv's HD receiver but last time I looked the price tag was about $800 for the Tivo so I couldn't justify the price over getting one for free from Directv.

5. No. Like any technology you eventually just need to take the plunge. New stuff will always come out but I don't feel upgrading in the future is going to break the bank.

Edited by myhousekey

Not that this well help you make your decision, but I don't have HDTV and I don't miss it.

cant miss what you dont have....i pretty much was the same way...HDTV it cant be all that blah blah blah...now I find it hard to watch normal SD channels

so we're moving next week and i currently don't have hdtv yet. we will have cable service in our new area and i currently have a toshiba tv that is hd ready. my wife doesn't care what i do so i'm asking the following questions. i know a lot of you are really proficient in this area so i'd take any and all advice. the questions i have right now are:

1. do i need it or care? I put it off for years. Now I won't go back.

2. is it worth the extra money per month? I think so. I pay $9.95/mth for a dual tuner HD Box. A pittance to the overall bill. Yeah, I have the Max package. :tup::D

3. should i buy my own receiver for the house to avoid "renting" one from the cable company? I don't think that's an option for ComCrash, but not sure about others. Besides if you own and have a problem, you're leaving the door open for the cable co. to say "It's your box, we can't help you!" Same reason why I rent my cable modem. I consider it insurance as I got caught in that trap. :D

4. if yes, what would you recommend for a reasonably priced model? See #3

let me know what you guys think. i'll probably be trying to make a decision later this week. The tech will change, the prices will drop, guaranteed! But no matter what or when you by tech stuff, it's "Latest and Greatest Attributes" will only last 3-6 months anyway!

Edited by rocknrobn26

my bad--I skimmed over the part where you said you had a hi-def TV already. In that case, it seems like a few dollars extra a month might be worth it. (If you don't like it, you can always cancel the service.)

$5/ month for HD and $4.99/month for DVR. As I mentioned before, a bud just wanted HD, but they ran out of HD boxes w/o DVR, so he gets the DVR for free. :D But he doesn't use it much and when he does he calls me to help him use it. :D

Just took the plunge and bought a 50" Panasonic plasma TV with a JVC surround/sound set up. It's like night and day compared to what we had (34" Zenith w/no HD). The price was right, we waited a long time, and this was the biggest bang we could make with the available $$$$ we had. Just make sure you get quality HDMI cabling, and I'd definitely get a surge protector (1 with a component guarantee). We upgraded to the HD cable box, and couldn't be more pleased. JMO. :D