[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do you play this hand?

Grits and Shins

If this guy plays as loose as Blitz says, I know I'm gonna win back a ton more money than I lose on the stray hand when he hits the nuts. I don't beat myself up over the way I play my kings.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup... limit it pays to be a tight player. in NL, it pays to be a tight player, but can pay more if you find ways to get in cheap to see flops with hands that have the potential to stack off a player, things like medium suited connectors and even one gappers.

Now, in addition to NL and limit being different, tourney and cash are very different. So, with just hold em, you could have the exact same hand and play it 4 different ways based on the situation (limit vs. NL and tourney vs. cash) and have each of those different decisions be the best play in terms of EV for that given situation.

Nod.

Almost all the guys at our table play in the NL tournament the same way they play in the cash limit game. In addition some of them haven't figured out that the game changes with fewer players.

We have some very solid cash game players that haven't really figured out how to play in the NL tournament. And we have some players that are more adept at playing tourney style that haven't figured out the cash game.

I am one of the few at the table that tends to fair well in both games, this last week being one of the few exceptions. I attribute that to the ability to play mostly tight.

In our game I am percieved as a very tight player and generally come out ahead.

Now lets talk about how your table image as it relates to the hand in question. Everybody there knows you and plays with you regularly. You are perceived to be 1. a Very tight player and 2. a consistent winner. Your table image is very important. Presumabley, your loosey-goosey opponet knows how tight you are. So, HE knows you probably have a HUGH hand to raise pre-flop and then continue to raise and re-raise on every street. If it was me, I would definitely put you on a big pair the way YOU, with your image, played it. Now I am assuming he isnt a complete idiot here. But he aint going to keep re-raising a player with your table image under those circumstances unless he has a monster. You not only disregarded the information you were getting back from him, but you disregarded what he had to have in order to keep re-raising against a 'very tight" winning player.

Bottom line, there are alot of factors to consider here. Not only your cards, his cards, but what he thinks you have and how you are perceived by him. All these things lead me to believe that you fell in love with your Cowboys are were semi-tilting since you were card dead.

Now, in addition to NL and limit being different, tourney and cash are very different. So, with just hold em, you could have the exact same hand and play it 4 different ways based on the situation (limit vs. NL and tourney vs. cash) and have each of those different decisions be the best play in terms of EV for that given situation.

:D I agree with this completely, although most folks cant tell the difference. I feel like my cash game is ALOT better than my tournament play. And my NL game is probably better than my limit game. But thats just the way I play and due to leaks in my game that need to be corrected.

:D I agree with this completely, although most folks cant tell the difference. I feel like my cash game is ALOT better than my tournament play. And my NL game is probably better than my limit game. But thats just the way I play and due to leaks in my game that need to be corrected.

Funny you say that. I used to be a very strong limit cash game player. Was poor at tourneys. Did okay in SNGs, but my bread and butter was the limit cash games (speaking online). Then about 18 months ago I started focusing on my tourney play as that was what my cousin and his group liked to play. Now, my tourney game is fairly strong, and I have had quite a few good finishes in MTTs and regularly do well in SNGs. But my cash game has suffered, although I think that is because I am playing more no-limit cashgames than the limit games. Part of it is variance I am sure (got stacked twice yesterday, one when my AK hit a K only to lose to a flopped set of 7's.. guess 5 times the BB preflop wasn't enough to get him to laydown the medium pair from the SB, then in another I got stacked when my AQ was up against and AJ on an A79 board (same as grits), the money al lgoes in with me about an 80-20 favorite, only to see the board come down 8 and the river was the 10 to give him the straight.

So, my note to myself, is that in the few instances I do play the cash games, I'll stick with the limit game as I tend to do well there, plus online you can pretty much play on autopilot and make 1-2BB/100 long run.