[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

300 Movie Review

DMD

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were by all accounts 100's of thousands of Persians though some were out on boats, some still in camp, etc.. Only smaller groups could try to try to fit through the pass near the sea. The Persians could have had a billion soldiers but only a small amount at any time could be involved in the fight.

It was definitely different in the graphics.

Kind of like stop action photography.

The 15 year old I took really liked it.

There was two times during the movie when the audience clapped and cheered.

A lot of stop action and slow motion to be sure. They could have shaved off 10 minutes from teh movie if there was no slo-mo I think.

There were by all accounts 100's of thousands of Persians though some were out on boats, some still in camp, etc.. Only smaller groups could try to try to fit through the pass near the sea. The Persians could have had a billion soldiers but only a small amount at any time could be involved in the fight.

A meat grinder for sure!!

I liked this film, a lot. Many historical accounts have the Persians at WELL over a million men, which may or may not seem improbable now but at the time was necessary if you were going to conquer known civilization.

What I liked about this film: watching Rome has forced me to pull out my history books and do online reading about the period again. One thing that has struck me is how little we share with pagan civilization. This film is a strong artistic attempt at the visceral bloodthirstiness of ancent warfare. No more, no less. The battle is set up in about half an hour, and goes on for 90 minutes. The 'story' of what happened back in sparta is somewhat irrelevant since we know greece won eventually, and if I'm not mistaken there wasn'ta traitor in Sparta, although the greek traitor the showed the past existed.

I was actually surprised in reading accounts of the battle that this filmwasn't MORE over the top: Leonida was killed away from his main force, and a contigent of Spartans apparently fought their way to his body, then fought their way back to the final battle point which was on a hill. Also, his last words to his queen were appraently "Marry a good man and raise good children." That would have been the best line in the film, except they gave it to the queen.

I liked it, although the green screen reliance impaired the ability of the director to get necesary distance shots: the close ups were fine, and the super wides were eye candy, but when the hunchback first appears to talk to the king he literally pops out of nowhere. Also, I felt like we could have understood the geography of the terrain a little better, as I didn;t quite follow the flow of the battle out of the pass and into the open area when it first happened. So it seemed liek wide, but not too wide shots weren't possible, or weren't done for some reason.

I loved it and will probably see it again before too long.

A lot of stop action and slow motion to be sure. They could have shaved off 10 minutes from teh movie if there was no slo-mo I think.

They could have, but i wish they had left it as is but instead ADDED 10 more minutes to the battles.

Excellent movie, very well acted and the battle scenes are intense. In my showing, there was also 1 scene of applause (the Queen final move in the Councel).

The cinematography is unique, a deliberate attempt to capture the flavor of the graphic novel by Frank Miller (not only did he create Sin City, but he is famous for creating 2 of the greatest and highest selling Batman stories ever: The Dark Knight Returns and Year One, but also transforming Daredevil form a C-Rate character into the Hell's Kitchen, gritty, Ninja influenced character he has been ever since. There are scenes in this movie that are direct recreations of the graphic novel, and the character design is pretty spot on to the book. The washed out color of yellow-orange hues is also a direct nod to the graphic novel. This book has been a long favorite of mine, and I suggest anybody who enjoyed this flick to go out and read it!

I liked it, although the green screen reliance impaired the ability of the director to get necesary distance shots: the close ups were fine, and the super wides were eye candy, but when the hunchback first appears to talk to the king he literally pops out of nowhere. Also, I felt like we could have understood the geography of the terrain a little better, as I didn;t quite follow the flow of the battle out of the pass and into the open area when it first happened. So it seemed liek wide, but not too wide shots weren't possible, or weren't done for some reason.

Budget for the film was $60 million.

Anyway, I had to digest this a bit.

I thought the movie was terrific - great entertainment, if not necessarily achieving the level of "art." The intrigue in Sparta helped anchor the movie and give it weight that a gore-orgy wouldn't necessarily have; the voiceover and a lot of the dialogue were clunky as all hell, though. I have to give credit to Gerard Butler - he held the screen pretty well - not on the level of Viggo Mortenson or Bernard Hill in LOTR, but not bad. I'll certainly be recommending it to anyone in earshot.

My favorite line came at the very end - "the enemy outnumbers us a paltry three to one" - I love the arrogance in that line.

My favorite line came at the very end - "the enemy outnumbers us a paltry three to one" - I love the arrogance in that line.

Oh, also Leonidas' "you, Ephialtes - may you live forever" is the greatest kiss-off ever.

Oh, also Leonidas' "you, Ephialtes - may you live forever" is the greatest kiss-off ever.

I paraphrase, but a great line was "Here is where we fight, here is where they die"

The more i think about this movie today, themore I have to see it again in the theater. Gerard Butler was ferocious in his part, great casting as another actor could have easily delivered those lines with no authority or aggressiveness.

This movie is probably going to clear its totla cost by the weekend (usually, marketing is abotu 50% of production costs for a film), and you know the word of mouth will keep this going hard until Spiderman 3 comes out and DVD sales will be king-sized.

I paraphrase, but a great line was "Here is where we fight, here is where they die"

The more i think about this movie today, themore I have to see it again in the theater. Gerard Butler was ferocious in his part, great casting as another actor could have easily delivered those lines with no authority or aggressiveness.

This movie is probably going to clear its totla cost by the weekend (usually, marketing is abotu 50% of production costs for a film), and you know the word of mouth will keep this going hard until Spiderman 3 comes out and DVD sales will be king-sized.

I plan on going to see it again, with the intention of watching Only the backgrounds, and ignore what the frame for my attention. There was crazy Sega! going on whenever I pulled from the 'main action.'

A buddy of mine pointed out his frustration with some of the crappy dialogue since the rest of the film was so strong.

Oh and if anyone thinks it's homoerotic, it's because you're probably gay. Just sayin' NTTAWWT.