[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

REM

gilthorp

DO you count HLG as even a side project?

sure. decent stuff, not great.

Talking about side projects.

If anyone is interested in some instrumental work, Peter Buck was involved in a project called Tuatara.

Their first CD was called Breaking The Ethers and it's unique.

saw them live a few years ago. it was alright, kinda dull but yeah, somewhat unique and interesting.

1985 Fables of the Reconstruction IRS - still just as good as it gets

The songs may be, but the production is terrible. You can barely hear the freaking drums. Feeling Gravity's Pull, which sounds GREAT live, sounds absolutely awful here. Good thing that Natalie Merchant taught Stipe how to sing shortly after this one, because this is easily his worst vocal performance.

1991 Out of Time Warner Bros. - total f*cking dreck. easily their worst album, IMO

LOL, you honestly think that the last two were better?

1992 Automatic for the People Warner Bros. - not my favorite, but still really good, and the most hardcore REM fans usually call it their fave

I may be in the minority here, but I think that this is their most overrated album. For some reason, people tend to treat acoustic ballads as more serious and artistically important than more mainstream rock or pop. While it definitely contains some GREAT material (Drive, Try Not to Breathe, Find The River, Man on the Moon), there are some serious clunkers as well (Ignoreland, Star Me Kitten). Definitely in the Top 5, but I'd put Pageant, Murmur, and maybe even Green in front of this one.

yes. the last two make me like :D

out of time makes me like: :doh::D:tup:

I think that Shiny Happy People and Radio Song ruined Out of Time for a lot of people. IMO, Half a World Away, Low, Belong, and Country Feedback make it a pretty decent album. And if Losing My Religion had not gotten completely over-played, it would be an even better album.

I think that Shiny Happy People and Radio Song ruined Out of Time for a lot of people. IMO, Half a World Away, Low, Belong, and Country Feedback make it a pretty decent album. And if Losing My Religion had not gotten completely over-played, it would be an even better album.

I just put this on itunes and had not listened to it in a long time. IMO, doesn't hold up. I'd say Texarkana, Belong, and LMR are about all it's worth.

So, who else saw the show last night?

TiVOed it. Just watched it. I'm not the biggest fan of that Andy Kaufman song (I found him annoying, not funny) but it was better with Eddie Vedder singing. I thought Begin the Begin was a nice choice. Gardening at Night is one of my favorite songs. I never realized it was their 1st song. I agree, it was a real ass kick IMHO.

Country feedback is a great tune. I disagree with pretty much everything else Swerski had to say. :D

IMO a sign of a good band is that they take enough risks to put out songs that may be klunkers...but, its by taking these risks that the stellar ones see the light of day.

I'd rather listen to a band taking risks than a band sticking to an archaeic formula.

Haven't read all posts in this thread, so can't directly comment to what you all have said.... but on average, I can't stand REM. They do, however, have a couple of songs I absolutely love. No other band can I say I truly loathe one song (Losing my Religion) and then say I truly love one song (The One I Love).

Edited by darin3

IMO a sign of a good band is that they take enough risks to put out songs that may be klunkers...but, its by taking these risks that the stellar ones see the light of day.

I'd rather listen to a band taking risks than a band sticking to an archaeic formula.

I'd rather listen to R.E.M. be R.E.M. than try to be Sonic Youth (Monster, Hi-Fi) or Radiohead (Up).

underrated

Pageant is their best, IMO.

Haven't read all posts in this thread, so can't directly comment to what you all have said.... but on average, I can't stand REM. They do, however, have a couple of songs I absolutely love. No other band can I say I truly loathe one song (Losing my Religion) and then say I truly love one song (The One I Love).

D, then obviously you haven't spent enough time with Murmur, Reckoning, or Fables of the Reconstruction.