[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How would you play this hand?

Big Country

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, again, there is a big difference between tourney poker and a cash game.

A cash game, Pat calls each and every time. Right?

There is no situation I can fathom where you would fold aces preflop in a cash game... well, no realistic situation.

+1

here's my take ...

if the smooth button pre-called the re-raiser with his big pocket pair in hand, then i'm thinking that i'm going to lessen the odds by flopping to avoid my hand getting cracked. if that doesn't float and i'm having a hard time reading him, then i push all in, but only if i've got ladies in the bag. if all else fails, i push hard with the Big Slick and then lay it down.

:D

interested in your thoughts. i know it's a bit unconventional.

Another reason why I love stealing pots at bubble time in a tourney. Everyone is tight as a drum

Yup... agreed 100%. Hard to do if you hit the bubble as a real shortstack, but, if you are not afraid to miss out on the money it is the best time to really grow your stack with well times pushes as a short stack, and lots of position raising as a medium to large stack.

In fact, in the last 4 tournies where I finished in the top 3 (150-200 player tournies), I made my biggest strides right before the bubble, where I was picking up the blinds probably 4 out of 10 hands. The other one I actually got crippled right before the bubble when my KK ran into aces, but, through some luck and right cards at the right time, came back to make a strong run at the final table.

Edited by Big Country

here's my take ...

if the smooth button pre-called the re-raiser with his big pocket pair in hand, then i'm thinking that i'm going to lessen the odds by flopping to avoid my hand getting cracked. if that doesn't float and i'm having a hard time reading him, then i push all in, but only if i've got ladies in the bag. if all else fails, i push hard with the Big Slick and then lay it down.

I have no idea what you are talking about, sir. I simply agreed that there is no conceivable time that I would ever lay down AA pre-flop in a cash game. I could most definitely lay down the rockets pre-flop in a tournament if it was close to the bubble and I was trying to money.

here's my take ...

well played - that is some funny chit. Maybe the most solid poker analysis in the thread............

Correct, never have and never would.

Well, if my opponent pushes in ahead of me then shows pocket jokers :D just kidding.

The only situation I can think of is when multiple (like 5 or 6) opponents have pushed in ahead of me, and they all show their cards, one has the other aces, and the others all show combinations of pairs and suited connectors that I am virtually guaranteed of having no shot to win the pot that I may consider laying it down. But, like I said before, no realistic situation in a cash game would have me laying down AA preflop.

here's my take ...

That's f'n funny dude. :D:tup::doh:

I slipped down to The Grand in Tunica last night for a few hours after work. Bought in for $500 in the $2/$5 NL cash game. We had a full table for the 4 hours or so I was there. About half the table was regulars who all know each other. About 4 or 5 of us were not regulars and I was leery of playing at this table but it was the only 2/5 game going when I go there.

Cashed out with a $650 profit so it was a nice night at the table. Couple memorable hands. I have been playing for an hour or two and am down to $350. On the button I get the Hooks. I make the standard raise at this table to $20. 2 callers, one of which is a horrible player that I have waited the whole time to get into a hand with. He had been calling down everything so I am anxious to connect on the flop or bet 3 unders hard. The other guy in the hand is a very tight solid player who is sitting next to me. Flop comes J 8 3 rainbow, giving me top set. I ask the guy next to me that I have been joking with the whole time, "what will it take for me to be to get you to lay this hand down". He says "$75". So, I say, " I bet $70" and he laughs out loud and immediately folds. I then pretend like I am going to scoop the pot and then announce, " OH, I sorry I thought we were the only ones in the hand or I wouldnt have been talking". Total f'n act on my part. The bad player immediately calls. Turn is an 8 filling up my boat. Against this calling station, no way to check to trap. I bet out $100. He immediately calls. I dont recall the river but I push the rest of my stack in for ~$150. This idiot immediately calls but doesnt show when he sees he is beaten, AGAIN.

Another hand again on the button, I pick up 77. I just call. Flop comes 7 3 10 rainbow giving me a set. I check/call a $15 bet. Turn comes another 3 giving me the boat. I check/call a $50 bet. River is a blank. I bet out $50. The guy thinks about it and raises me another $50. I re-raise him to $100. he goes all in for another $150. I call. He had a 3 7 giving him 3's full of 7's, while I had 7's full of 3's! Those were my 2 largest pots of the night. I lost several smaller ones but left up $650 so I am not complaining.

Let me also add that I have found the 1/2 and 2/5 NL games in Tunica to be fairly soft, most of the time. If any of you guys are ever heading that way, send me a pm and I will give you the lowdown on the poker rooms there.