[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

broncos shopping al wilson?

Azazello1313

:D

Linebacker Al Wilson, the Denver Broncos' defensive captain, could be playing elsewhere soon.

A New York Giants source confirmed the team is talking with Denver about trading for Wilson. Peter Schaffer, Wilson's agent, said he is talking with the Broncos about brokering a Wilson deal, and several teams are considering the Pro Bowl middle linebacker.

"We are involved with the Broncos and a number of teams about Al's future," said Schaffer, who is based in Denver and is serving his first full week representing Wilson. "No decision has been made on whether or not Al will be playing in Denver or elsewhere, but we are exploring all options. Our first priority is to put our clients in the position to further their playing careers in the best possible situation."

Denver's motivation to deal Wilson appears to be mostly financial. The team has spent more than $30 million on bonus money while acquiring nine new players this offseason.

Wilson, who will be 30 in June, is due to make close to $6 million this season. If he is not traded, the Broncos likely will ask him to take a pay cut.

Wilson was named to his fifth Pro Bowl team last season, but didn't play in the game because of a broken thumb.

Schaffer said he will continue to talk to Denver and other teams in attempts to work out a deal for Wilson, who has played eight seasons in Denver.

"Al is not upset with the Broncos," Schaffer said. "They have paid him a lot of money. He understands business."

i don't know if he's still worth 6 million a year, but i would HATE to see him go. :D

Why trade for Wilson, when you have Pierce who is younger, and better. They need a outside LB. Not another mike.

:D

Terry Pierce was cut a long time ago. He sucked. I don't think he's still in the league. The end.

DJ Williams value goes way up if Wison is moved - he'll most likely move into the MLB slot. I would imagine DEN would be looking for a LB in the draft to fill his spot, and might bring in a cut vet to shore up the spot until a kid is ready.

I'd be damn sorry to see Wilson go. His value goes way beyond tackles and he's a top MLB.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Just heard on 850 AM KOA out of DEN that Al Wilson has been sent to the Giants per Adam Schefter. He said the deal is done & will be announced either today or this weekend, and that it is absolutely a sure thing.

Not sure what this means for Antonio Pierce owners - they now have 2 very good MLBs on the roster.

No link, of course, from a radio show.

Just heard on 850 AM KOA out of DEN that Al Wilson has been sent to the Giants per Adam Schefter. He said the deal is done & will be announced either today or this weekend, and that it is absolutely a sure thing.

Not sure what this means for Antonio Pierce owners - they now have 2 very good MLBs on the roster.

ugh. now what, do they put DJ in the middle? nate wayne? suddenly we have a hugh f'n hole in the middle of the defense.

ugh. now what, do they put DJ in the middle? nate wayne? suddenly we have a hugh f'n hole in the middle of the defense.

They'll move DJ Williams into the middle. I wonder what the Giants are giving back?

Look for DEN to be filling the SLB slot with a 2nd round pick (I hope - they still need a stud DE with that 1st rounder) or their first of 2 3rd rounders - or they could fill with one of the FA LBs still hanging around - K Michell, Hartwell, etc

I think DJ will be able to play the middle. But still, Wilson was one of the defense leaders and DJ is not yet. I just hope they got a 2nd rounder for him; he was too valuable to that D to get anything less.

Edited by Jo

I hate this move. If it was done for money reasons, then they should've worked on getting their own to help, like Rod Smith who's scheduled to make about 8 mil. this year. Willson is an absolute stud at linebacker. I haven't seen a better hitter and cover LB in awhile. He is easily one of the better LB's in the league. This D just got significantly worse instead of better so far this offseason.

I hate this move. If it was done for money reasons, then they should've worked on getting their own to help, like Rod Smith who's scheduled to make about 8 mil. this year.

link

Broncos, Smith reach agreement

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

Article Last Updated: 03/09/2007 04:41:35 PM MST

The Broncos and Rod Smith have agreed to a stop-gap restructuring of his contract that ensures the team will not cut him at this time. Smith, however, still could decide to walk away from the deal.

The move saves the Broncos significant cap room as Smith's salary is reduced to $1.5 million in each of the next two seasons.

The move was made because Smith was due a roster bonus of $1 million on Thursday, but he had other personal business to attend to. Instead of rushing to a final resolution, his agent Tom Mills said this temporary agreement was reached.

The two sides have until later this month to agree upon a new restructuring or settle on this deal.

The Broncos announced Tuesday that Smith underwent surgery on his left hip and will not participate in team drills for four months. He is expected to be ready for training camp. Smith will turn 37 in May.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I don't see any mention of this anywhere else online.. you'd think someone would have picked up on this.

I don't see any mention of this anywhere else online.. you'd think someone would have picked up on this.

I'll put the caveat on it that it is Schefter reporting it. That's the same guy who said Bush was locked up & signed by HOU 2 days before last year's draft.

The DEN coaching staff has also used him as a dupe on numerous occassions in the past when he was the Bronco beat writer.

We'll see, but he was extremely adament that the deal was done already.