[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

getting a pickup truck

muck

Here's the deal.

As mentioned on the "Harvesting Lumber" thread, the wife and I are potentially looking at buying some dirt out in the sticks.

If we get it, I'd like to get a reliable truck (probably a pickup).

It can be a diesel or gas; don't care.

Will consider something that could function as my "drive it to work" vehicle (and therefore would like it to be a bit nicer and get the best gas mileage as possible) or "farm only" vehicle (and therefore could be really of any quality from nice to beaten up and gas mileage would be less important).

I'd need to haul stuff. Possibly double as a snow plow for what would be a long driveway in bad weather. Maybe/probably four-wheel-drive. The more I haul, the better the low-end torque I think I'd need.

I've never owned a pickup, so I don't know the market.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Edited by muck

Here's the deal.

As mentioned on the "Harvesting Lumber" thread, the wife and I are potentially looking at buying some dirt out in the sticks.

If we get it, I'd like to get a reliable truck (probably a pickup).

It can be a diesel or gas; don't care.

Will consider something that could function as my "drive it to work" vehicle (and therefore would like it to be a bit nicer and get the best gas mileage as possible) or "farm only" vehicle (and therefore could be really of any quality from nice to beaten up and gas mileage would be less important).

I'd need to haul stuff. Possibly double as a snow plow for what would be a long driveway in bad weather. Maybe/probably four-wheel-drive. The more I haul, the better the low-end torque I think I'd need.

I've never owned a pickup, so I don't know the market.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

F250 Superduty is by far the best truck on the market. We have had this discussion here before and I stand by the Ford. They can be a little tough to find used as once people buy them they dont tend to get rid of them!

F250 Superduty is by far the best truck on the market. We have had this discussion here before and I stand by the Ford. They can be a little tough to find used as once people buy them they dont tend to get rid of them!

I went to "FordDirect.com" and they had all sorts of specs, but nothing on mileage. Any ideas?

F250 Superduty is by far the best truck on the market[/b[. We have had this discussion here before and I stand by the Ford. They can be a little tough to find used as once people buy them they dont tend to get rid of them!

I have an F350 diesel that says otherwise :D

I went to "FordDirect.com" and they had all sorts of specs, but nothing on mileage. Any ideas?

Mileage is tough...

I can say that I generally get in the vicinity of 500 miles to the tank, sometimes more and sometimes less depending on what I am doing. 35 gallon tank. I also don't have good tires for gas mileage...more like knobby all terrain tires. My dad bought a computer and tuned his engine to get better milage, which I believe cost in the $500 range. He says he gets roughly 20 miles to the gallon in a similar truck.

My truck is hugh...extra cab with an 8' bed. If you don't need an 8' bed, a quad cab is more comfy. It can be a difficult vehicle to drive as your main vehicle because parking and maneuvering are tough. quad cab and a short bed will be almost as difficult to maneuver, but will be much mroe comfy if you have passengers.

get the dodge diesel, it gets 15-18 mpg and can haul skins ego

My brother had a dodge a few years back. nothing but problems...but then again that doesn't mean that they have the same problems today. He also had an avalanche that gave him a ton of headaches. There have been several ford trucks in my family, and never a problem.

First off, you are an American. Thus you will not buy a Toyota truck.

Second, I have an F-150 for sale. 4 wheel drive. Smaller V-8 motor, so gets good gas mileage. Hell, you've seen it.

I'll call you in 10 minutes.

First off, you are an American. Thus you will not buy a Toyota truck.

Second, I have an F-150 for sale. 4 wheel drive. Smaller V-8 motor, so gets good gas mileage. Hell, you've seen it.

Toyota - made in Kentucky

I'd look at an older F-150 or Ram Diesel. My pops always had ford trucks, but now he's got two Dodge simply because of what he read/found about the cummins. He gets 20-22 mpg with his 2WD truck, and it just keeps going and going and going. Great truck.