[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A quick fish question

wiegie

What's the easiest way to get skin off of a fish filet?

I've got some fish filets that I'm going to cook for dinner tonight and they still have the skin on one side. This isn't going to be a problem if I just bake or broil them, but if I decide to batter them up and fry them, do I need to remove the skin--and if so, what is the best/easiest way to do so?

I'll be cooking around 8:30 EDT, so any advice prior to that would be most appreciated.

TIA!

What's the easiest way to get skin off of a fish filet?

I've got some fish filets that I'm going to cook for dinner tonight and they still have the skin on one side. This isn't going to be a problem if I just bake or broil them, but if I decide to batter them up and fry them, do I need to remove the skin--and if so, what is the best/easiest way to do so?

I'll be cooking around 8:30 EDT, so any advice prior to that would be most appreciated.

TIA!

Filet knife. Cut down to the skin about an inch from the end of the tail (so you have something to hold onto) and then just slide the filet knife down the skin....should come off pretty easy. What kind of fish?

A good, sharp fillet knife. If you don't have one of those a very sharp non serrated knife will do the trick. Also if you want the whole skinless fillet to deep fry etc. then you must be careful. If you want smaller sections then just go for it. Filleting and skinning is much easier to do when the fish is "in tack". As Law Dawg said something to hold on to is key. Though all in all a good knife makes it much easier.

For some maybe. I still prefer a nice sharp fillet knife when preping perch, bass, etc.

I like a good electric for skinning but I'll use a non-electric for cleaning and trimming. I got a rapala cordless electric filet knife that is the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen. A spoon would be more effective.