[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colin Cowherd on the state of Rust Belt Pro Sports Teams

spain

The Southwest is nicer weather-wise, but you basically have to live in or right on the border of a suburban sprawl or your house won't have running water.

Quick Question: Have you ever been outside the state of Indiana? Just curious because I lived in the southwest for a number of years and can tell you have no idea of what you speak.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick Question: Have you ever been outside the state of Indiana? Just curious because I lived in the southwest for a number of years and can tell you have no idea of what you speak.

:D Lives in Oregon now and had lived in Texas.

Then perhaps you'd like to comment on the ample groundwater supply in Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and Western Texas.

Then perhaps you'd like to comment on the ample groundwater supply in Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and Western Texas.

I lived in west Texas for several years and always had running water in my house. And I didnt live on the edge of suburban sprawl. So, I have no idea what you meant about having no running water out there.

I lived in west Texas for several years and always had running water in my house. And I didnt live on the edge of suburban sprawl. So, I have no idea what you meant about having no running water out there.

He means it's running out and the ability of the water supply to sustain further development is in doubt.

It was obviously a generalization. And Texas isn't nearly as bad as NM, AZ, or NV. Vegas, Reno, and Phoenix wouldn't exist without extensive irrigation systems. It isn't a region where you can just move out into the country (say, 100 miles from a major metro area or large body of water) and tap groundwater.

Well, when everyone leaves Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Minnesota, and upstate NY no one will be around to care that the southwest is sucking the Great Lakes dry.

Water problem solved!

Well, when everyone leaves Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Minnesota, and upstate NY no one will be around to care that the southwest is sucking the Great Lakes dry.

Water problem solved!

Not only that, you can bring your beer truck and life will be even better! :D

ahh Billy Boy - there is penty of water in NV and AZ- cmon- I am in Arizona now, and I can tell you that...... we have good running water, an excellent economy, great weather and beautiful women.

I am originally from Seattle, where believe it of not we have had water rationing in the summers........ have seen no such thing here-

Heard Colin as well- he makes good points, we shall see what comes of it. Makes sense to me, I mean, just look at the transofrmation in Vegas and Phoenix the last 25 years- mind boggling. Although I think football is a different animal than the other sports, I mean, I have a hard time believing the Bills, Steelers etc will ever move. Hoops and baseball are another story though.

ahh Billy Boy - there is penty of water in NV and AZ- cmon- I am in Arizona now, and I can tell you that...... we have good running water, an excellent economy, great weather and beautiful women.

Yep, so much water that Vegas is almost tapped out and Phoenix is facing potential problems...

:D

And my point was that most of this water is artificially-pumped in.

I am originally from Seattle, where believe it of not we have had water rationing in the summers........ have seen no such thing here-

The Northwest is dry in the summer, so I'm not surprised. We had summer water-rationing in the Chicago area in the late '80s as well.

This article is dead on, IMO. I'm not happy to say that but really it is pretty clear to me that this is the truth. I am only 41 and I already look forward to moving to a climate that will support year round golf and I swear I am one of the last to admit to it. I can very easily see myself in the Carolinas in 15-20 years.

I've always wondered why more people aren't moving away from the cold weather, non-atlantic ocean cities. I think their family systems keep them there, but beyond that I am not sure that these people realize what they are missing. If most just knew that you don't have to wake up for 4-6 months of freezing cold and snow, maybe it'd be a different story...

And Spain, for once, is right about this.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I've always wondered why more people aren't moving away from the cold weather, non-atlantic ocean cities. I think their family systems keep them there, but beyond that I am not sure that these people realize what they are missing. If most just knew that you don't have to wake up for 4-6 months of freezing cold and snow, maybe it'd be a different story...

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that those same people don't want to live in 4-6 months of mid-upper 90's temperatures, high humidity, and bugs all over the place? People who grew up in "freezing cold and snow" tend not to see it as a temendous negative.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that those same people don't want to live in 4-6 months of mid-upper 90's temperatures, high humidity, and bugs all over the place? People who grew up in "freezing cold and snow" tend not to see it as a temendous negative.

23 years of living in cold weather and my only 2 regrets about moving away from the northeast is that I miss my family and my sports teams being close by. Otherwise, the freezing cold and snow is a negative. In heat, even extreme heat, I can at least hop in my car without fear of getting stuck, crashing or being stranded.

You do have a choice of living in a super hot zone such as Florida or Arizona where the heat is extreme for about 4 months and then great weather. Or you can move to a place like California or the Carolinas where for 0 to 3 months you may get a little cold weather, but it's rather moderate.

Edited by TDFFFreak

This article is dead on, IMO. I'm not happy to say that but really it is pretty clear to me that this is the truth. I am only 41 and I already look forward to moving to a climate that will support year round golf and I swear I am one of the last to admit to it. I can very easily see myself in the Carolinas in 15-20 years.

I have been dreaming of moving to Arizona for years now...would have done it 3 years ago but the father-in-law got cancer which made us stay...will probably look to move down there in the next 3-6 years...its paradise down there...

I have been dreaming of moving to Arizona for years now...would have done it 3 years ago but the father-in-law got cancer which made us stay...will probably look to move down there in the next 3-6 years...its paradise down there...

yep- I am seriously considering relocating from Sea to Phoe/Scottsdale- it is so nice, economy is great- place is thriving. The thing for me, is I cant take any more Nov-March Seattle winters- not cold, just rain and gloom. I will gladly take a hot June- Sept in Phoe- you can still get out and golf, and do sh1t. Seattle is the best city in the country July- Sept. but the rest blows. Sitting here in AZ right now, gonna be mid 80's today and perfek.

and compared to Seattle, cost of living is not bad at all.

23 years of living in cold weather and my only 2 regrets about moving away from the northeast is that I miss my family and my sports teams being close by. Otherwise, the freezing cold and snow is a negative. In heat, even extreme heat, I can at least hop in my car without fear of getting stuck, crashing or being stranded.

Agreed, but I'd take the Midwest over the South. I lived in SE Texas for a while and, man, living in air conditioning for six straight months sucks. I'd rather deal with four months of freezing temperatures and be able to enjoy a summer where it isn't 97 and humid every day. Then again, that's just my personal preference. There are some people (like my gandfather) who can't stand the cold and bolt for Florida as soon as they retire. I'm pretty much the opposite, as I can't stand heat and humidity.

I love the Northwest's weather. The summers are mild (highs in the low 80's) and very dry, with lows in the 50's at night. The winters are mild (30's and 40's), with the only downside being the rain. It's almost laughable to listen to the whiners out here complain about the constant clouds and rain in November and December. They have no idea how good they have it for 8 months each year.

Or you can move to a place like California or the Carolinas where for 0 to 3 months you may get a little cold weather, but it's rather moderate.

Good luck finding an affordable house in California, especially the Bay Area and Orange/San Diego Counties. I'd love to live in less-expensive Northern California (Redding, Eureka, etc.), but there aren't any jobs out there.

Agreed, but I'd take the Midwest over the South. I lived in SE Texas for a while and, man, living in air conditioning for six straight months sucks. I'd rather deal with four months of freezing temperatures and be able to enjoy a summer where it isn't 97 and humid every day. Then again, that's just my personal preference. There are some people (like my gandfather) who can't stand the cold and bolt for Florida as soon as they retire. I'm pretty much the opposite, as I can't stand heat and humidity.

I love the Northwest's weather. The summers are mild (highs in the low 80's) and very dry, with lows in the 50's at night. The winters are mild (30's and 40's), with the only downside being the rain. It's almost laughable to listen to the whiners out here complain about the constant clouds and rain in November and December. They have no idea how good they have it for 8 months each year.

Good luck finding an affordable house in California, especially the Bay Area and Orange/San Diego Counties. I'd love to live in less-expensive Northern California (Redding, Eureka, etc.), but there aren't any jobs out there.

I can't argue with the cost of housing in California (at least the places that have good job markets), but I got into the market 4.5 years ago so at least I am in as opposed to the newcomer. As long as there are no earthquakes, California is great living once you get past the high cost and traffic.

There are sacrifices no matter where you move. For me personally, getting out of the cold, while not my original reason for moving, is worth a lot for me. Others may be willing to live in the cold. I guess my argument is simply that people should see how living a few years in a warmer weather environment works for them before they knock it. You've done it and have an informed opinion.

I know many others who talk crap about Arizona, California, Florida, etc. without having really lived there. I believe that many complain or put down other places because they need to feel better about where they live and are stuck there for a variety of reasons.

Complete opposite- NW weather sucks, and I am born and raised there- take away the summers- and it is not good at all. This past winter was miserable- clouds and rain for days on end, and this will go on until the end of June. Personally, I am active, I like the sun, getting out and doing stuff. I will take the dry heat of the desert all day long over the NW weather.

Like mentioned above- there are sacrifices in every place, no doubt. 8 months out of the year? what the he11 are you talking about- the weather sucks 8 months out of the year- u got it backwards like usual Swerski.

I know yer a transplant from Indiana- so I will give ya a break there, but let's not go overboard on NW weather.

depends on were u go but most of it looks good but sucks to live there

anyone from flagstaff....i hear that is nice as well

flag is great but u would hate it.... so many smart hippies