[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jason David signs offer sheet with Saints

rajncajn

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

By Adam Schefter

NFL Analyst

The frenzied free-agency action from March has slowed, but there are still signings in the works. Meanwhile, teams are also turning their attention to the draft and finalizing their draft boards. Take a glance at the latest activity.

Thursday, April 19

Attempting to address their biggest need before next weekend's draft, the New Orleans Saints reached agreement Thursday morning with Indianapolis' restricted free-agent cornerback Jason David on a four-year offer sheet.

The offer sheet will be signed Thursday afternoon and then presented to the Colts. It is expected to be the largest offer sheet signed during this offseason's free-agent signing period.

The Colts will have seven days to match the offer sheet that will be frontloaded, with most of the money included in years one and two of the deal. If they decline to match -- and it's going to be difficult for them to match -- the Colts would receive a fourth-round pick from the Saints.

But the Saints do not view that as a tremendous loss. They now have three fourth-round picks and, if they land David, would still be left with two.

If this turns out & David does come to the Saints that would blow the doors wide open for the Saints in the draft. The most glaring need is obviously CB, but if they fill that need they can pretty much take the BPA with the first pick and fill some depth at CB in the 2nd round or later.

I'm really not sure what the Colts will do here . . .

My first inclination would be to dump Simon to free up more cap space. His five-year, $30 million deal only included a $5 million signing bonus. So, unless he's due some roster bonus that I'm unaware of or the contract info I'm citing is incorrect, the cap hit to dump him would be doable.

That said, I don't have the details of the offer that the Colts would have to match for David, and it's possible that the Saints are vastly over-paying for him. Then again, do the Colts want to go out there with Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden? Tough call. I'm optimistic about Jackson, but Hayden's pretty much an unknown at this point.

David has been an incredible value for the Colts. As a fourth round pick, to be a starter, pretty much from day one of his career, the Colts have got their money's worth. I actually have felt kinda bad for him, because he has played well enough to deserve more money. Looks like he'll get it from the Saints. I am very curious to see what the terms of this deal are. It's hard to say if he's worth it without knowing that.

David has been durable. Especially for his size. He was the smallest cornerback in the NFL his first year, but has worked to add muscle each season. He gets a lot of safety help in the Colts system, but occasionally does get burned. What cornerback doesn't? What I like about David is his willingness, even though he's not very big, to step in for run support. I'd say he's average in coverage, and above average in run support. Like I said, for the money he was making, he was a great deal for the Colts.

I'll tell you this, he's a huge upgrade for the Saints over that suck-ass corner they've had for a few years now. . . Fred Thomas is his name, i think.

My first inclination would be to dump Simon to free up more cap space. His five-year, $30 million deal only included a $5 million signing bonus. So, unless he's due some roster bonus that I'm unaware of or the contract info I'm citing is incorrect, the cap hit to dump him would be doable.

Getting Freeney signed to a long-term deal would also free up some space this year. . .

Last I heard, Simon's health is still an issue, and the Colts are still waiting for a resolution to the grievance he filed before making any decisions on him this year.

Edited by CaptainHook

What crack are some of you smoking? Last year was the first year David didn't outright suck, and he still wasn't amazing. Harper was a MUCH bigger loss. Not saying I would mind keeping David (I think) but to hell w/paying him a ton of money.

Let him go and dump fatty Simon too (we already have an aging truckload in McFarland). Heck maybe a good CB (given their draft position) will fall in the draft, although I still much prefer a LB or DT.

Last year was the first year David didn't outright suck

My thoughts as well, and I think a good portion of his not sucking was due to the fact that pretty much every team the Colts played was running the ball down their throats (at least during the regular season).

Prior to last year, Jason David and Rob Morris were the two players most commonly ripped on in local sports radio.

David has been an incredible value for the Colts. As a fourth round pick, to be a starter, pretty much from day one of his career, the Colts have got their money's worth. I actually have felt kinda bad for him, because he has played well enough to deserve more money. Looks like he'll get it from the Saints. I am very curious to see what the terms of this deal are. It's hard to say if he's worth it without knowing that.

David has been durable. Especially for his size. He was the smallest cornerback in the NFL his first year, but has worked to add muscle each season. He gets a lot of safety help in the Colts system, but occasionally does get burned. What cornerback doesn't? What I like about David is his willingness, even though he's not very big, to step in for run support. I'd say he's average in coverage, and above average in run support. Like I said, for the money he was making, he was a great deal for the Colts.

Completely agree about David being a good team player and deserving of a substantial raise.

I'll tell you this, he's a huge upgrade for the Saints over that suck-ass corner they've had for a few years now. . . Fred Thomas is his name, i think.

:D Yeah, holy crap, that guy is terrible. I remember that catch that Berrian made in the playoffs where he fell on about the three-yard-line. And his coverage was so bad that he didn't even touch Berrian - so Berrian just rolled right over into the endzone. It wasn't even a good pass by Grossman, either.

What crack are some of you smoking? Last year was the first year David didn't outright suck, and he still wasn't amazing. Harper was a MUCH bigger loss. Not saying I would mind keeping David (I think) but to hell w/paying him a ton of money.

I don't know. Are you confident with Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden as our starting corners? I'm not. Remember that the Colts also don't have a second-round pick this year and the fourth-rounder that they'd receive from the Aints isn't going to land them a top CD in the draft, either. I suppose it all depends on how much the Saints are willing to over-pay for David.

Plus, David has gotten progressively better since he's been in Indy. And unlike Harper, he's entering the prime of his career.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Are you confident with Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden as our starting corners? I'm not. Remember that the Colts also don't have a second-round pick this year and the fourth-rounder that they'd receive from the Aints isn't going to land them a top CD in the draft, either. I suppose it all depends on how much the Saints are willing to over-pay for David.

Plus, David has gotten progressively better since he's been in Indy. And unlike Harper, he's entering the prime of his career.

All valid points. I just question if he's worth the $ N.O. will give and "rolling the dice" with Jackson/Heyden would be exactly that. I don't get why Jackson didn't win the job last year.

Let's re-sign Macklin and Harris :D

Somebody on ColtFreaks.com posted that the NFL Network is reporting the Saints' offer to be 4 years, $15.7 million. If that's true, it was nice knowing you, Jason. Thanks for the memories.

I know it's for 4 years, but none of the numbers have been released to the public. Unfortunately that may be about what it's going to take though.

How long do the Colts have to make a decision?

Somebody on ColtFreaks.com posted that the NFL Network is reporting the Saints' offer to be 4 years, $15.7 million. If that's true, it was nice knowing you, Jason. Thanks for the memories.

that is stupid money for a player no better than a nickel CB. Even if the Saints sign him, they better draft a CB to start in front of him. :D

I know it's for 4 years, but none of the numbers have been released to the public. Unfortunately that may be about what it's going to take though.

How long do the Colts have to make a decision?

They have seven days and from what I heard it's not likely to be matched, which means it's probaably right about that. this should make the opening game even a little more interesting.

that is stupid money for a player no better than a nickel CB. Even if the Saints sign him, they better draft a CB to start in front of him. :D

whoever is back there we will still whip the cowboys again. :D

On the contract amount..

POSTED 8:44 p.m. EDT, April 19, 2007

DAVID OFFER SHEET WORTH $15.6 MILLION

An industry source tells us that the offer sheet signed on Thursday by Colts cornerback Jason David with the Saints is worth $15.6 million over four years. (The numbers were previously reported by Adam Schefter of NFL Network.)

The kicker is that the deal pays out $6.5 million in year one with a cap charge of $5.25 million, making it virtually impossible for the cap-strapped Colts to match it.

But the deal contains no poison pill, which likely means that the device that the NFL tried to get the NFLPA to take out of the CBA was used by not one team in crafting a 2007 offer sheet.

Hey, why should the NFLPA care? They've got agent regulations that they're diligently enforcing on an inconsistent basis.

From ESPN today

Colts refuse to be cornered: The early read is that the Indianapolis Colts, who don't have to make a decision on Jason David until late next Friday, will not match the four-year offer sheet the starting cornerback signed with the New Orleans Saints on Thursday afternoon. The deal is worth $16.5 million and is severely frontloaded, with $6.5 million in compensation in the first year and a 2007 salary cap charge of $5.5 million. All those numbers would be tough swallow for the Colts, who made David a one-year qualifying offer at the lowest level, $850,000, to retain a right of first refusal on him.

The Colts like David a lot, and eliciting just a fourth-round pick in return for a guy they drafted, nurtured and developed in their system is a difficult tradeoff. But the Indianapolis coaches, in part because of the Tampa-2 scheme the Colts play, don't value cornerbacks the same way some teams do. Coach Tony Dungy once noted: "The further away from the ball you get, for us, the less your (financial) value." In any Tampa-2 scheme, including the one Indianapolis plays, cornerbacks don't have to be great cover defenders. That's not to diminish the value of David, who is a terrific young player whose potential departure is compounded by the exit of the team's other starting corner, Nick Harper, to Tennessee as an unrestricted free agent. The Colts don't panic, though, and as noted here in the past, general manager Bill Polian and Dungy trust their drafts more than most guys in their positions.

Indianapolis has three young corners it has been grooming, all of them chosen in the first two rounds of the past two drafts, and Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden and Tim Jennings are all going to get a chance now to step up when the Colts convene for minicamp on May 18. Jackson, recall, clinched the AFC championship game comeback over New England with an interception. Hayden had an interception that he returned 56 yards for a touchdown in Super Bowl XLI. And Jennings, despite a lack of size and an ankle injury that severely limited his contribution as a rookie, is a good prospect as well. Plus, the Colts still have the upcoming draft in which they might further address the cornerback position. If the Colts don't match the offer sheet on David, he definitely will be missed, but Indianapolis will move on. Because it's just what the Colts do.

Let him go and dump fatty Simon too (we already have an aging truckload in McFarland). Heck maybe a good CB (given their draft position) will fall in the draft, although I still much prefer a LB or DT.

All valid points. I just question if he's worth the $ N.O. will give and "rolling the dice" with Jackson/Heyden would be exactly that. I don't get why Jackson didn't win the job last year.

Let's re-sign Macklin and Harris :D

seriously, you may be the least knowledgeable Colts fan ever . . .

If the reported offer sheet is correct, then there is no way the Colts will match, and New Orleans severely overpaid . . . a $5.5 million cap charge for David this year???

Edited by CaptainHook

seriously, you may be the least knowledgeable Colts fan ever . . .

Seriously, you may one of the dumbest people on these boards. Which is more than a little scary.

I was (mostly) joking about Macklin and Harris, although I'd take either for vet min over David for all that $.

Still going too fast for you?

Surprise, still going too fast for you

Once more: I'd take Macklin for vet min and LOL @ Davis "twice the corner Macklin ever was" given he could dust David in coverage (admittedly David narrowed the gap this past year).

Edited by BeeR

:D Macklin couldn't cover me! :D He was let go by the Cardinals, who are dying for cornerback help, and nobody has signed him! And David signs a $15 million offer sheet. I guess NFL GM's agree more with me than you . . .Good job scout! :tup:

Edited by CaptainHook