[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raiders WILL draft Russell...

kpholmes

Raiders hope to get it right at No. 1

By Adam Schefter

Special to NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10092097

PHOENIX (March 27, 2007) -- No one knows for sure what the Oakland Raiders will do with the first overall pick. But Raiders coach Lane Kiffin and owner Al Davis provided two hints Tuesday, one more revealing than the other.

Over breakfast, after stating how honest he was, Kiffin was asked to honestly assess whether he expected the Raiders to use the No. 1 pick or trade it.

Kiffin said the Raiders would do whatever was best for their team -- how's that for an honest and clichéd answer? -- and then, sarcastically, added this gem: "If we do pick there, we'll pick a guy on offense or defense."

So that eliminates Colorado kicker Mason Crosby.

Davis, on the other hand, was more far revealing. When discussing LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell, whom many expect to be the No. 1 overall pick, Davis compared him to Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway.

Davis said Russell's arm strength is like Elway's, and so is his side-to-side movement.

And to this day, Davis still is miffed that he failed to land Elway when he thought he had struck a deal with the Baltimore Colts. Davis recalled Tuesday to a small group of reporters that, back in 1983, the deal to acquire Elway was just about done.

The Raiders were going to send quarterback Marc Wilson and two No. 1 picks to the Colts for Elway. The Raiders were going to have their quarterback for the next decade. Davis said he thought the deal was agreed to.

And then according to Davis, the NFL -- which was annoyed at him for getting ready to move his franchise back to Los Angeles -- stepped in and somehow blocked the trade. Davis struggled to recall the exact details Tuesday, but he did remember, rather clearly, that he didn't get the quarterback he wanted.

This year, he has a chance to remedy that. By no means does this assure that the Raiders are going to draft Russell at No. 1. But for anyone looking for the strongest hint to date as to what the Raiders would do with the top pick got it Tuesday.

It's going to be hard for Davis to pass up a quarterback that reminds him of Elway.

Schefter hit this one on the head I think.

Al Davis has regretted not getting Elway since the day it happened. Every Raider fan knows it. To make matters worse, Al had to play Elway twice a year.

If he's comparing Russell To Elway, consider Detroit on the board. :D

Edited by kpholmes

And then according to Davis, the NFL -- which was annoyed at him for getting ready to move his franchise back to Los Angeles -- stepped in and somehow blocked the trade. Davis struggled to recall the exact details Tuesday, but he did remember, rather clearly, that he didn't get the quarterback he wanted.

:D

"I don't know who it was, or how they did it, but someone screwed me over..."

Hell, at his age, I'm surprised he even remembers who Elway is.

"I don't know who it was, or how they did it, but someone screwed me over..."

Hell, at his age, I'm surprised he even remembers who Elway is.

It's very well known that Schefter and Al Davis hate each other.... hence the cynical writing. I would have loved to have been there to watch this interview. :D

translation: tampa's not going to give up the ransom they want for the first pick to grab calvin, so they'll try real quick with cleveland and russell. but ultimately, yeah, they probably stay put and take russell.

Yeah I just don't see the Bucs or anyone else for that matter moving up to the #1 pick. Raiders take Russell at #1 and then the fun begins at the #2 slot.

I'll bet he and Madden remember exactly where(now in the parking lot) the Immaculate Reception took place too. They never forget.

(Rotoworld) ESPN's John Clayton reports the Raiders intend to draft Calvin Johnson with the No. 1 pick if the Dolphins acquire Trent Green from Kansas City.

Impact: Clayton's theory is that the whole top part of the draft depends on the future of Trent Green. If Green goes to Miami, Daunte Culpepper will be cut and Oakland would then sign him. Clayton says if a Green trade can't be worked out, the Raiders will be forced to draft JaMarcus Russell.

Al Davis loves John Elway -> Al Davis loves Russell

However, just as much as Al Davis would love to have another shot at Elway, he loves athletic freaks, specifically fast WRs and DBs.

He also made attempts to get Cullpepper last season, which makes this situation more believable..

So, Al Davis has his two greatest wishes on the table in front of him, a second chance at Elway and one of the most talented athletic super-freaks to ever enter the draft.

But, we'll never know who he would have chosen, because Clayton is right, the deciding factor of the Raider's entire future lies in the hands of.... Trent Green :D

(Rotoworld) ESPN's John Clayton reports the Raiders intend to draft Calvin Johnson with the No. 1 pick if the Dolphins acquire Trent Green from Kansas City.

Impact: Clayton's theory is that the whole top part of the draft depends on the future of Trent Green. If Green goes to Miami, Daunte Culpepper will be cut and Oakland would then sign him. Clayton says if a Green trade can't be worked out, the Raiders will be forced to draft JaMarcus Russell.

Al Davis loves John Elway -> Al Davis loves Russell

However, just as much as Al Davis would love to have another shot at Elway, he loves athletic freaks, specifically fast WRs and DBs.

He also made attempts to get Cullpepper last season, which makes this situation more believable..

So, Al Davis has his two greatest wishes on the table in front of him, a second chance at Elway and one of the most talented athletic super-freaks to ever enter the draft.

But, we'll never know who he would have chosen, because Clayton is right, the deciding factor of the Raider's entire future lies in the hands of.... Trent Green :D

interesting. another side note is that Oakland picking CJ would increase miami's chances of getting Quinn.

Jaws is frickin' awesome. The guy knows his stuff & backs it up with tons of homework. That he's on the wrong side of 15 for you shouldn't be something you hold against him.

Totally agree with you.

Oakland has been sending out more propaganda than Dick Cheney's office.

Tampa isn't going to give up a 2 and a 3 to move up. I would trust Clayton and Jaws more than anything coming out of Oakland.

This is the week of mis-information after all.

Davis will draft Calvin Johnson....especially now that Denver is rumoured to be interested in trading with the Lions (as well as Tampa) for the chance to snag CJ. The grudge between the Oakland and Denver alone will force Davis to snag CJ at the one spot.

The Raiders still have confidence in Walter, and in a new offense that won't rely on 7-step drops (new offense will be a modified West Coast Offense) Walter deserves another chance. Walter was a 3rd rounder who was a projected 1st rounder (in 2005) before his shoulder injury his Senior year in College. He still has potential, he just needs to be put in an offense that is more QB friendly that last years....former USC offensive coordinator Kiffen will bring that.

Of course the Raiders will continue to attempt to snag a veteran QB (Culpepper, Rattay, McCown...) to compete with Walter but Calvin Johnson is the BEST player in the draft....Al Davis will not pass on CJ.

Edited by Return Of S&B

Davis will draft Calvin Johnson....especially now that Denver is rumoured to be interested in trading with the Lions (as well as Tampa) for the chance to snag CJ. The grudge between the Oakland and Denver alone will force Davis to snag CJ at the one spot.

The Raiders still have confidence in Walter, and in a new offense that won't rely on 7-step drops (new offense will be a modified West Coast Offense) Walter deserves another chance. Walter was a 3rd rounder who was a projected 1st rounder (in 2005) before his shoulder injury his Senior year in College. He still has potential, he just needs to be put in an offense that is more QB friendly that last years....former USC offensive coordinator Kiffen will bring that.

Of course the Raiders will continue to attempt to snag a veteran QB (Culpepper, Rattay, McCown...) to compete with Walter but Calvin Johnson is the BEST player in the draft....Al Davis will not pass on CJ.

I agree with everything you've posted here.

Now why do I feel that I'm badly in need of a shower?

I also agree with this. Unfortunately, I think John Clayton has gone a little overboard with his recent "Trent Green is the key to the draft" campaign.

The Dolphins don't need to trade for Green before the draft -- it won't affect their pursuit of Quinn in the slightest. Also, whether the Dolphins release Culpepper before the draft or afterward, it won't affect Oakland's draft decisions.

It's not a matter of "if" the Fins will release C-Pep, but "when." And for those who think it's crazy to think Culpepper will be ready to play this season, I don't think Oakland would be necessarily relying on that. Even if he isn't ready till the beginning of '08, he'll still have three or four good years before he starts declining for good.

I also agree that Walter would have at least looked adequate in a real professional offense. Everbody who played under Tom Walsh gets a total pass in my eyes. That guy was a joke, and no NFL player should be judged on their performance within the high-octane "Bed & Breakfast Bonanza" offense.

I can't see Davis passing on a once-in-a-decade player like Calvin Johnson -- the exact type of player Davis loves, no less -- just because he has a perceived "need" at QB.

Davis will take CJ. He can't afford to take Russell & wait 3-4 years for his development - Davis' timeline on this Earth is coming to a close.

How can he afford to take CJ either? Oakland is a disaster and it's going to be a couple years before they have a real chance to be a serious contender for anything. If you take CJ, is he going to throw the ball to himself? You already have 2 WR (well, one sometimes injured and another that wants to be traded) and adding CJ would just be a 3rd person out there not being passed too. Draft Russell. Start your team there and build around him.

How can he afford to take CJ either? Oakland is a disaster and it's going to be a couple years before they have a real chance to be a serious contender for anything. If you take CJ, is he going to throw the ball to himself? You already have 2 WR (well, one sometimes injured and another that wants to be traded) and adding CJ would just be a 3rd person out there not being passed too. Draft Russell. Start your team there and build around him.

Walter can be a starter-quality NFL QB. His problem last season was that he was put into 7 step drops every passing down & the line collapsed before receivers could get into their patterns. No QB could have performed well given those conditions - no matter who was back there. Put Walter into 3 & 5 step drops like Kiffin says he'll be using and he'll turn out just fine. Pick up a vet to compete for the starting job with him - Culpepper is looking more & more like he'll be that guy - and OAK can afford to use the pick elsewhere.

Plus given what the #1 pick will be paid, Johnson is a much better risk than Russell.

Edited by Bronco Billy

i'm not really buying the "trent green holds the keys to the draft" theory either. you're gonna pass on the chance to draft a franchise QB because daunte culpepper might be available and might be healthy enough to play at some point this year? you never know with al davis and his old age dementia, but...eh, i don't think so. it's possible they value CJ over russell, in which case that's who they'll probably take, but i am convinced 90% of all this crap we're hearing is hot air to pump up potential trade offers and keep people guessing.

Keep in mind that the Moss to Green Bay trade rumours are not dead either...and Kiffin does like Rogers...so if that trade did go down Calvin would be a logical choice because he would immediately step into the WR-1 spot and Rogers would be brought in to compete with Walter.

Like some have said, last year's offense was a disaster primarily because of Walsh's outdated offensive scheme that he brought to the team. While Kiffen is young, he'll bring a modern offense to the Raiders (like Gruden did in 98) that will better utilize the players he has.

I agree with everything you've posted here.

Now why do I feel that I'm badly in need of a shower?

They say full lunar eclipses occur once every 20 years or so....guess we have to agree on something once in a while.

Edited by Return Of S&B