[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dad's, father figures, and Puddy...

SuperBalla

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this wine thing...should I get a bottle of Red? Does it last better? Completely ignorant to storing wine. I got the dark and low humidity part...any Red wine suggestions from the 06 year? I'll spend $50-$75 bucks on it if you think I could pull it off.

Did I forget to mention than booze might not be the best gift as he may not end up drinking, therefore not appreciating the thought that went behind the purchase and careful storage. Hell, my grandfather and dad both drink and I don't, so thankfully they never saved those types of gifts for me.

you must spend all of your free time sitting around and thinking of new kinds of threads you can find a new, inventive way to take a dump on. ya know, so that everybody can see what a cool guy you really are.

That wine idea kicks a$$. Doesnt wine usually take a couple of years to come out? Like the '05's should be selling this year right? So thats more of a two year olds gift.

Agreed, quite a few of our friends do this and my Uncle did this for his 2 daughters that were born in 89 and 92.

you must spend all of your free time sitting around and thinking of new kinds of threads you can find a new, inventive way to take a dump on. ya know, so that everybody can see what a cool guy you really are.

Wurd. Pretty annoying. Not trying to pile on here, but was going to post something similar. :D

So this wine thing...should I get a bottle of Red? Does it last better? Completely ignorant to storing wine. I got the dark and low humidity part...any Red wine suggestions from the 06 year? I'll spend $50-$75 bucks on it if you think I could pull it off.

Get a red and you may want to hold off another year before you buy the 06.

I think it would more meaningful if it was something personal like a video or something designed to be shared at the time of giving (like a bottle of wine).

Not to be a wet blanket but a letter or video would still be meaningful and impactful if for some reason you were not around when he turned 18.

Doesnt wine usually take a couple of years to come out? Like the '05's should be selling this year right? So thats more of a two year olds gift.

That's a good point and certainly anything that has a chance of still being good in 20 years will not be released until at least 2 years after harvest. So, yes, this is a gift for another year. Also, do some research and figure out what part of the world had a great vintage in 06. Off the top of my head, I can't recall as the only 2006 on the market right now are simple everyday wines for early consumption. Most importantly, like Bier said, you'll need to find a cool dark place to store it.

Frankly, I don't even know how much this makes sense unless you, yourself are also into wine. If that isn't something that you all take seriously at the house, then it might be lost on him. For starters, your average 21 year old isn't going to really care that much about aging wine, so unless there's some background to it, like tasting good wines on Sundays with you as he grows up, it might be wasted on him. Hell, I'm even a wine geek and I busted out all the juice my mother put aside for my 21st B-day at some rager I had at my house when I was like 17 anyway.

That's a good point and certainly anything that has a chance of still being good in 20 years will not be released until at least 2 years after harvest. So, yes, this is a gift for another year. Also, do some research and figure out what part of the world had a great vintage in 06. Off the top of my head, I can't recall as the only 2006 on the market right now are simple everyday wines for early consumption. Most importantly, like Bier said, you'll need to find a cool dark place to store it.

Frankly, I don't even know how much this makes sense unless you, yourself are also into wine. If that isn't something that you all take seriously at the house, then it might be lost on him. For starters, your average 21 year old isn't going to really care that much about aging wine, so unless there's some background to it, like tasting good wines on Sundays with you as he grows up, it might be wasted on him. Hell, I'm even a wine geek and I busted out all the juice my mother put aside for my 21st B-day at some rager I had at my house when I was like 17 anyway.

I understand...but there would certainly be a setting to it. I was thinking of letting him open the gift tomorrow and have a picture of me and him with it and then show him that picture during that special evening, 21 years from now. I like the idea and I am going to check into a wine company to see if they will store wine for a fee? Maybe if I buy it and pay X dollars I can pick it up in several years...I don't know. I was going to talk to someone locally.

I totally hear you Detlaf...good thought. :D

Edited by SuperBalla

You did that too? :D

My parents were pissed.

My dad is pretty much a pragmatist. He basically told me it was my wine but also my loss that I didn't hold on to it until I was 21. I'm also sure there was plenty of things about that weekend that he was far more pissed about then the fact that I drank that wine.

I'm also sure there was plenty of things about that weekend that he was far more pissed about then the fact that I drank that wine.

Mine was a shoulder sized hole in the drywall downstairs along with someone carving their initials into the new kitchen cabinets. :D