[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tax and Spend Lib...Typical

Bocephus

Casey wants higher tax on oil profits

Thursday, April 26, 2007

By Jerome L. Sherman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Bob Casey today called for a hefty new tax on oil company profits that would fund a program aimed at helping low-income families pay for their transportation costs.

The Pennsylvania Democrat also said he would seek the repeal of major tax breaks for oil companies. That money, he said, would help finance research into alternative fuel sources.

Mr. Casey, joined by fellow freshman lawmakers, was critical of President Bush's handling of energy issues, saying the administration has been too close to oil companies and had done little to help families struggling with high gas prices.

"Here's what you hear from the Bush-Cheney big oil conglomerate: They say you have it wrong. Everything is wonderful. We have to continue the tax breaks for millionaires," Mr. Casey said. "And if you happen to be a billionaire who owns an oil company, you get another break -- you get big oil tax credits and subsidies."

Mr. Casey said gas prices have risen by 20 cents a gallon in the past month.

His proposed tax, part of legislation introduced today, would kick in when oil prices top $50 a barrel. At that point, the government would tax 50 percent of an oil company's profits. Oil prices currently are about $65 per barrel, Mr. Casey said.

The new tax revenue would fund a program that the senator compared to LIHEAP, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. It would help low-income families pay for gas for their cars.

I wonder what happens to those poor low income people when the price of gas doubles because of this propoesed tax. Great idea libs.

Edited by Bocephus

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same people that are for this crap are the same people that biTch and moan about companies moving over seas and the loss of jobs!! Lets cripple US companies so they aren't as competitive as foriegn oil companies... :D Sarbox has already screwed US companies, lets add a little more! They should focus on AMT, Medicare and SS before they start throwing this monkey poo...

Poor people shouldn't need cars. Their welfare checks are mailed to them.

The real alternative energy is if we could invent a way to power America with lazy, poor people.

Edited by TimC

Point one ... subsidies (lazy people, oil companies, etc) and punishing taxes (hard working citizens, oil companies, etc) are generally bad ideas.

Point two ... Just like "you can't judge me by the color of my skin" you also "can't judge my tax my company by the nature of its industry".

Sarbox has already screwed US companies

This is flat wrong. Sarbanes-Oxley is a HUGH pain in the ass but companies brought this entirely on themselves by flagrantly breaking the law and having pathetically lax practices. You give the government a chance to legislate, then you can bet your ass it will. If companies had got their $hit together as they should, no legislation would have been forthcoming.

Gawd-danged people that suckle on the Federal Gubment for everything. The Feds should only be in the business of National Defense and Treasury. Let the states handle the rest and kill off the SS and other junk and let the people take care of themselves.

If you can't make it financially and want to retire...keep working. If you can't find a job because you are too lazy or greedy...die in the streets.

How the hell the human population survived the last 5,930 years before welfare and Social Security, I'll never know.

Gawd-danged people that suckle on the Federal Gubment for everything. The Feds should only be in the business of National Defense and Treasury. Let the states handle the rest and kill off the SS and other junk and let the people take care of themselves.

If you can't make it financially and want to retire...keep working. If you can't find a job because you are too lazy or greedy...die in the streets.

How the hell the human population survived the last 5,930 years before welfare and Social Security, I'll never know.

but what would business do that need welfare :D