[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sinus sufferers

darin3

So my wifey recorded a segment with "Dr. Oz" on Oprah :D from a few days ago where they discussed "nasal washing" with a "Neti pot".

I, for one, have horrible sinus issues. Breathe Right strips have alleviated some of my snoring, but I have constant sinus pressure and I know that things could be MUCH better.

I do NOT want to do the surgery that clears your sinuses out. A buddy of mine had it done and said the pain was beyond compare - but did note the results are nearly life-changing.

So, anyone here of this? Here's some info...

Chargerz, I know you're not a ENT doc (you deal with a different hole :D) but do you have any input here? Any of your colleagues have anything to say about it? Dr. Oz strongly recommends it. Is this similar to using saline solutions?

My sinuses (and my wife) thank you in advance for your input. :tup:

Even though I "deal with a different hole" ( :D ), I have suffered with sinus problems for years and studied the remedies extensively.

There is nothing really special about the "Neti pot". It is just one way of irrigating the sinuses and nasal cavity with a saline (salt) solution. I have irrigated my sinuses for years but use an 8 ounce bottle made by Neilmed. I mix 8 ounces of warm distilled water with a packet of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate (easy to use but you can use plain salt) and shoot it up my nostrils at least every night. It's made a hugh difference in my ability to breathe clearly through my nose as well as ELIMINATING my sinus infections! I also get far fewer viral nasal infections than I used to before irrigating. There are well-designed scientific studies showing this same effect in large groups of patients.

As to the surgery to clear out your sinuses, I can speak from personal experience that it hurts like a mofo when the doc takes out the packing, but the surgery can help. My maxillary sinuses were completely blocked with infection on CAT scan and antibiotics were ineffective. My ENT doc drilled holes from my nasal cavity into these sinuses to facilitate drainage. (He also straightened my deviated septum and cauterized my turbinates (the tissue lining the nasal cavity) to help me breathe.) Now when I irrigate my nose I'm also irrigating my maxillary sinuses.

I underwent surgery as a last resort. There can be complications. I recommend you exhaust all your medical options (decongestants, CPAP machine for sleep apnea, etc.) first before considering it. Your ENT doc should go through all of them with you.

If you do finally opt for surgery, be aware that there are many different sinus cavities in the skull. Each patient's sinus problem needs to be fully evaluated first and the drainage procedure tailored specifically to his needs. My ENT doc was meticulous. Yours should be too.

Hope this helps. :D

+ 1 with the Doc on sinus irrigation with Neilmed sp? it works well, and you can pick it up at Walgreens. While I have never had serious enough problems for surgery, it does work well for me on clearing the sinus' out and keeping them clear.

I know people with sever sinus problems that swear by it as well. Pretty easy to use, can be annoying, just feels like getting saltwater up your nose out in the surf/ocean.

As to the surgery to clear out your sinuses, I can speak from personal experience that it hurts like a mofo when the doc takes out the packing , but the surgery can help.

Had the same surgery done as well, and Chargerz is right, it's the removal of the packing from your nose that hurts like a mofo!!!!!! :D:tup:

I also had a deviated septum and my upper left sinus cavity above my left eye was completely closed off and full of infection. The strongest antibiotics would barely make a dent. So didn't really have an option, so they went in and did the ole roto rooter treatment on my nose......

Don't know that I would want to go through it again, but I can tell you I haven't had a sinus infection in 2.5 years, and only a few colds. And to add to that.......my allergies are also not nearly as bad as they used to be. So, all in all, while the means to get here sucked, the end is pretty good.

Also, I was able to pop vicadin for the pain for a month or so which helped!!! :D

This is a most useful thread. I get sinus infections a lot and they produce a headache nightly for weeks on end, usually starts either at 10:00 at night or two hours after I've gone to bed, lasting about 90 minutes. I told my doc after the last lot of antibiotics that I'm done with that and want a referral to ENT, so the next time I get an infection, I'll be seeing the ENT guy.