[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oil prices staying high?

Randall

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love high gas prices. :D

I mock your SUV. I deride your truck. I laugh in the direction of your totally uneccesary 4 wheel drive.

So, luxury sedans and mopeds are ok?

Creeping over $3.50 a gallon in San Jose, CA. I could care less. If anything, I think gas should be more expensive than it is. As long as its relatively cheap, there is little incentitive to make alternative fuels more than just "alternatives."

Yup. I wonder what the magic number is for the average Joe? 7, 8, 9 dollars a gallon? :D

I'd say they do - they have what amounts to a necessary item, and a very friendly government that asks "how high" whenever they say "jump" (this is directed at both parties, though I'd say the current admin might as well go yachting on the Exxon Valdez, since they truly appear joined at the hip with big oil).

And i thought this was just a coincidence. :D

And I ain't buying no gas on May 15th either. :D

What we really need to do to stick it to the oil companies is eveyone boycot buying gas for a year...that'll show em!

Either that or lets all open our OWN gas stations...and give gas away for free!

Edited by alexgaddis

Yup. I wonder what the magic number is for the average Joe? 7, 8, 9 dollars a gallon? :D

I think that the "shock effect" is gone from 3 bones a gallon - we've seen it before. Plus the run-up this time wasn't a quick one like post-9/11 or Katrina - it was more like slowly turning up the burner on the frog in the pot.

I'd lay money that the rise stalls just over $3.50, maybe they'll try pushing it to $4. That's uncharted territory and will have people going :D

Going from $1 to $2 was a 100% rise in price.

Going from $2 to $3 was a 50% rise in price.

Going from $3 to $4 will only be a 33% rise in price.

Going from $4 to $5 will only be a 25% rise in price.

...so, if the price rise happens slowly enough, it'll hardly impact our day-to-day lives...but, slowly, over time, the average citizens will make decisions against "petroleum / natural gas" consumption, whether it's through moving to more moderate climates (less expensive winters), driving less or driving more fuel efficient cars, or changing their jobs (or proximity to their jobs).

Edited by muck

Going from $1 to $2 was a 100% rise in price.

Going from $2 to $3 was a 50% rise in price.

Going from $3 to $4 will only be a 25% rise in price.

...so, if the price rise happens slowly enough, it'll hardly impact our day-to-day lives...but, slowly, over time, the average citizens will make decisions against "petroleum / natural gas" consumption, whether it's through moving to more moderate climates (less expensive winters), driving less or driving more fuel efficient cars, or changing their jobs (or proximity to their jobs).

I understand your analysis but the rise hits those "below average" citizens extremely hard. When you're making $20K a year (before taxes) and have to pay $60 to fill your tank, that's got to hurt.

I understand your analysis but the rise hits those "below average" citizens extremely hard. When you're making $20K a year (before taxes) and have to pay $60 to fill your tank, that's got to hurt.

The probability that I'm saying it hurts the guy making $20k / yr is probably about the same as you saying that the guy making $20k / yr is the typical consumer of gasoline and other petroleum products in the US.

I've heard that the typical increase in gas from the low winter prices to the high summer prices is usually in the 50-60% increase range. SO, if we were at $2.50a gallon in the winter (Nov-Jan), we can expect prices to get towards $3.75-$3.90 a gallon mid-summer if the normal trends continue.

I've heard that the typical increase in gas from the low winter prices to the high summer prices is usually in the 50-60% increase range. SO, if we were at $2.50a gallon in the winter (Nov-Jan), we can expect prices to get towards $3.75-$3.90 a gallon mid-summer if the normal trends continue.

If that is the case I am going to kill myself...

I think the big oil companies are getting nervous about May 15th. Gas came down here this morning from $3.03 to $3.02! :D

Yeah, especially since that e-mail that goes around tells people to fill up the day before or wait until the day after.... so they see bigger sales the day before and after, but slum on the 15th.

The net-net is the same at the end of the week/month.

It'd be 1,000x the inconvenience to the typical American than it would be to the filling station, the gas companies or anyone else involved in the petroleum industry.

The only people you're holding down are yourselves! LoL!