[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

iphones on ebay

Randall

$900 for a cell phone that plays MP3s. If this was the first one that could do that, that's one thing. It's still obscene, but if you got the money, I'm not going to tell you how to spend it. But it's not the first MP3 phone on the market. It's probably not even one of the first 100 phones on the market. If your cell phone doesn't play MP3s, have a camera, and make a double expresso these days, you probably haven't upgraded your phone in quite a while.

I would be surprised to see this stand up. Apple has traditionally been very, very strict about price controlling products, particularly with the top end prices. They won't even let Walmart discount the heck out of iPods.

Apple also has a long history of over-pricing their products. As much as I'd like an iPhone, I'll wait until they come down to a reasonable price.

Apple also has a long history of over-pricing their products. As much as I'd like an iPhone, I'll wait until they come down to a reasonable price.

$499 with a 2 year contract, IIRC. Apple's stance is that the price is what you would pay for a smartphone (treo, etc.) plus what you would pay for an iPod Nano. And that is what you are getting, but better.

I'll pay the $499 for it. I wouldn't expect to see the price point come down too much, though...more to see feature/capacity creep at the same price.

Apple has a history under Steve Jobs of making an insane amount of money doing it.

For a while in the 90s, Mac made boring beige boxes and tried to be affordable and gain market share.

Then they brought Jobs back, and he made innovative exciting overpriced products. The market share probably hasn't improved, but you can't argue with lots of money as a business model. :D

Clearly... somebody wants that thing... badly.

$499 with a 2 year contract, IIRC. Apple's stance is that the price is what you would pay for a smartphone (treo, etc.) plus what you would pay for an iPod Nano. And that is what you are getting, but better.

I'll pay the $499 for it. I wouldn't expect to see the price point come down too much, though...more to see feature/capacity creep at the same price.

My bad, I thought that it was closer to $700. It's nice to see that Apple isn't pricing themselves out of the market like they did in the '90s.

I'd like to get one eventually. The problem is that I don't talk on the phone much am I'm at the age where I'm not constantly listening to music anymore.

Apple has a history under Steve Jobs of making an insane amount of money doing it.

For a while in the 90s, Mac made boring beige boxes and tried to be affordable and gain market share.

Apple overpriced the hell out of their products in the '90s (not to mention refusing to license their OS) and that was their downfall. IIRC, that was right around the time that Jobs was forced out. Remember that Apple was in enough financial trouble around '97 or '98 that there was talk of Microsoft buying them. If it weren't for anti-trust laws, they'd be part of the Bill Gates Empire right now.

Apple really didn't get their market share back until Jobs returned and they began putting out computers that were comparable in price to PCs (the iMac). And, of course, the iPod is where they really took off again.

Apple overpriced the hell out of their products in the '90s (not to mention refusing to license their OS) and that was their downfall. IIRC, that was right around the time that Jobs was forced out. Remember that Apple was in enough financial trouble around '97 or '98 that there was talk of Microsoft buying them. If it weren't for anti-trust laws, they'd be part of the Bill Gates Empire right now.

Apple really didn't get their market share back until Jobs returned and they began putting out computers that were comparable in price to PCs (the iMac). And, of course, the iPod is where they really took off again.

No I think you ahve it backwards: Jobs was forced out in the mid-80's. THEN they began licensing their systems around 1990 or so under Gil Amelio's leadership - Jobs never believed in licensing. When that didn't work, and they began to flounder they brought Jobs back in 97/98 by purchasing his company NeXT, who's operating system then became OSX. They were unable to get around the POS that OS9 was at that point, which was basically a series of patches from their earliest OS.

No I think you ahve it backwards: Jobs was forced out in the mid-80's. THEN they began licensing their systems around 1990 or so under Gil Amelio's leadership - Jobs never believed in licensing. When that didn't work, and they began to flounder they brought Jobs back in 97/98 by purchasing his company NeXT, who's operating system then became OSX. They were unable to get around the POS that OS9 was at that point, which was basically a series of patches from their earliest OS.

Yes, that's correct. Forgot that Jobs was forced out that early, although Amelio wasn't in until the mid-'90s. I don't remember them licensing their OS per se, although I guess that's technically what PowerPC was (despite that it was only with IBM and Motorola... not quite the same as MS licensing Windows to 20-30 PC manufacturers).

Edited by Bill Swerski

Yes, that's correct. Forgot that Jobs was forced out that early, although Amelio wasn't in until the mid-'90s. I don't remember them licensing their OS per se, although I guess that's technically what PowerPC was (despite that it was only with IBM and Motorola... not quite the same as MS licensing Windows to 20-30 PC manufacturers).

http://www.everymac.com/systems/powercc/in...mac-clones.html

Here's a link to a mac os licensee I remember at the time. Note it says apple bought them and put them out of business in 1997, that's about the time Jobs reapeared.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/powercc/in...mac-clones.html

Here's a link to a mac os licensee I remember at the time. Note it says apple bought them and put them out of business in 1997, that's about the time Jobs reapeared.

Wow, I had completely forgotten about that.

I vaguely remember some company making an Apple IIE/IIC clone back around '87 or so (and I'm sure that they payed licensing fees to Apple). That never took off either.

Apple did try licensing their OS. I remember trying to tech support the clones. It was a huge failure.

And Bill Gates did buy a large stake in Apple. It was largely because if Apple went out of business, then Microsoft WOULD be slammed by anti-trust laws because they would literally have zero competition.

You speak as if you know things that you do not actually know.

Did you work for one of the clone companies, or Apple in Colorado?

I was building and servicing video editors in CT. The big players in the industry only made products for Apples (or SGI). We used 8600s and 9600s, with anywhere from 2 to 6 PCI cards that controlled all the video processing. We tried out the clones for customers that wanted to save some money. For some reason, they just never worked right. Something about the PCI architecture. The hardware wouldn't play nice together.

It's a good thing to have total control of your hardware specifications.

My bad, I thought that it was closer to $700. It's nice to see that Apple isn't pricing themselves out of the market like they did in the '90s.

I'd like to get one eventually. The problem is that I don't talk on the phone much am I'm at the age where I'm not constantly listening to music anymore.

Exactly how I feel. Not to mention that I like my phones a little more compact. My next phone I would love to have a schedule callendar on it.

I was building and servicing video editors in CT. The big players in the industry only made products for Apples (or SGI). We used 8600s and 9600s, with anywhere from 2 to 6 PCI cards that controlled all the video processing. We tried out the clones for customers that wanted to save some money. For some reason, they just never worked right. Something about the PCI architecture. The hardware wouldn't play nice together.

It's a good thing to have total control of your hardware specifications.

9600's were Boss.

I would be surprised to see this stand up. Apple has traditionally been very, very strict about price controlling products, particularly with the top end prices. They won't even let Walmart discount the heck out of iPods.

Didn't take too long. :D

This listing (230128782267) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.

If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

300 MHz never kicked so much ass. :doh:

Seriously though. They were damn good at the time. They held a lot of RAM for a desktop computer in those years.

The lack of video card was kinda funky. A buddy of mine still has his in his closet all tricked out. It's a ProTools machine and he's sure that the early proTools sessions created on those Macs will need a machine like this in the future. :D:D

Shi-it - I remember when the Quadras came out and 33MHz was like stuff through a goose. :tup:

The lack of video card was kinda funky. A buddy of mine still has his in his closet all tricked out. It's a ProTools machine and he's sure that the early proTools sessions created on those Macs will need a machine like this in the future. :D:D

Shi-it - I remember when the Quadras came out and 33MHz was like stuff through a goose. :tup:

And, yes...I actually did administer the original Apple Workgroup Server running A/UX. The hardware was Quadra 95. It was frickin' enormous! Netware ran circles around it at the time...

And, yes...I actually did administer the original Apple Workgroup Server running A/UX. The hardware was Quadra 95. It was frickin' enormous! Netware ran circles around it at the time...

My old company is still processing credit cards on a Performa.

500MB HD, 4x 8MB RAM sticks, 50 Mhz processor. It was juiced.