[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brick steps - DIY or no?

TimC

The builder gave me two lousy wooden steps from the garage to the house. Only pic I have is under construction before the wooden steps were put in. Needless to say, brick is 1,000 times better. The retired neighbors across the street paid someone to do it. I think it was around $200 or so per step so I'm probably looking at under $500 if I pay someone. I think I can do this myself. I have a nice level and trowel and some common sense. I can copy the design of the front steps to lay it out. I think it'd be a nice, fairly easy project but don't know the pitfalls.

Is there more to it? :D

The builder gave me two lousy wooden steps from the garage to the house. Only pic I have is under construction before the wooden steps were put in. Needless to say, brick is 1,000 times better. The retired neighbors across the street paid someone to do it. I think it was around $200 or so per step so I'm probably looking at under $500 if I pay someone. I think I can do this myself. I have a nice level and trowel and some common sense. I can copy the design of the front steps to lay it out. I think it'd be a nice, fairly easy project but don't know the pitfalls.

Is there more to it? :D

Easy enough, if you are careful. THe easiest error to make is getting mortar all over the bricks, leaving a glaze you have to use muratic acid to get off. Keep it all neat and tidy, and take it sloooowww.

As far as pitfalls, make certain the bed is flat, level and solid. That is probably the most important part. Any settling of the underlying dirt will spell disaster. If you are good with concrete and forms, you could pour a pad for them.

There's a solid base of concrete to work on. I like the look of bricks more than concrete is all. At worst, a sledgehammer will fix it. :D

As far as pitfalls, make certain the bed is flat, level and solid. That is probably the most important part. Any settling of the underlying dirt will spell disaster. If you are good with concrete and forms, you could pour a pad for them.

The steps are going from the garage to the house. Even though Timmay lives in the backwoods, he does have a concrete garage floor. :D

I do almost everything mahself around mah house, but don't think I'd go there. For $500, pay someone.

+1. Is a weekend day worth paying $500 for? Sure it is. Plus rounding up all the materials and the multiple trips to Home Depot for the stuff you forgot.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

How about the concrete steps you can buy put together? I mean it's not as nice as the brick steps but easier. two 3 foot steps and two risers will cost you about $125 or so?

+1. Is a weekend day worth paying $500 for? Sure it is. Plus rounding up all the materials and the multiple trips to Home Depot for the stuff you forgot.

Plus mixing mortar, cutting bricks, etc. It's messy, and a lot of work, and for $500, hire a speedy to do it.

For $500 I'd probably have it done, assuming that includes materials and labor. If he is wanting you to buy the materials, then you might consider doing it yourself if your not going for anything to fancy. By fancy I mean something with a bunch of angle cuts for the brick. Masonry is not rocket science and really pretty easy if there isn't a lot of cutting involved. If you do it yourself though you will probably have to rent a mortar mixer and a masonry saw, which may set you back $100 or more.

The beaners down the road had a brick mailbox put in and they still haven't cleaned up the cut bricks and stuff. We're about to go green card on them.

stamped concrete. colored etc...

That's the patio that's coming up in the backyard. I do love stamped concrete. Not for the garage though.