[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

golf

Thews40

Guest ksu70

I've went to a local golf store, used the simulator, and determined I want this club. So what's wrong with saving $150?

Nothing wrong with saving money at all my friend, I encourage it. It's just part of my business. Spend a lot of time and energy on people trying to get them in the proper equipment and then they go buy something online that isn't right for them. I am just a big PGA guy but I don't question anybody looking to be financially sound.

Do you play only one brand of ball?

I have never really put much faith in the ball. I mean I play decent balls most of the time but I can't justify ProV 1's or any of the balls that are selling at ProV prices. However, I have played plenty with all the high end balls but can't seem to find one that I think does me any better than any other. Currently I am playing the Callaway HX Hot since I got a boat load of them for free. They play fine for me but they don't feel quite as soft as the crappy shoes from spammers One's that I got as a gift. If I was willing to pay ProV prices then I would be in the crappy shoes from spammers One ball.

I wish that I knew what ball would make a real difference for me. :D

Love to fish too Yukon. Not to derail this thread but.... We went fishing for Catfish on the Mississippi last Saturday. They (the catfish) go to the dams to spawn (sp?). Before I even get my line in the water my old man hooks on to something big. This thing jumps about 3 ft out of the water and is at least 4 foot long. It was real dark...almost black. It ended up straightening his hook and getting off. We're not sure what it was but think it may have been a Sturgeon. Cool stuff. I've never seen anything like that fishing before. We didn't catch many Cat but a lot of sheep head. I did catch a 7 lb Channel Cat right before we left though. Anyway, sorry for the off topic post, but I had to tell ya that story.

Might have been an alligator gar. (and if so, it is probably best that it got away as the following pictures will attest):

http://www.mosportsmen.com/fishing/alligatorgar.htm

http://www.okiefish.com/wl_new3.jpg

I play the Titleist ProV1 ball and have since it's inception. I like the feel of the ball. You won't necessarily get more yards with a ball that spins more if the clubhead speed isn't there. You sound like you are on the right track with the ball you play and it is an important factor. Just make sure you are getting a little height on your shots whatever the ball so that your shots are more playable. I see a lot of my members play a decent shot into the green but it runs off the back because it came in at eye level. Good luck and pm me if you need any other tips.

Love the PRO VI. I have 130 of them and have I've never bought one. I have several dozen Callaway HX Tours and crappy shoes from spammers ONE Blacks as well. With all the hazards on the course I play, you just need to know where to look. If there is no one behind me, I search 10-15 minutes and can find 20. We live in the desert and the wetlands created by course design, and natural rivers recede as the summer goes on-exposing more and more golf balls. I was thinking about selling some of my Pro V's and my husband says they are very cheap on Ebay, so a tip on finding some used for cheap. I usually give friends a dozen when they come and visit-they will lose them all in just a day or two on our course.

BTW, when I said you have less control with the hybrids, what I meant was less spin on the green. If I get a #6 hybrid I might find a way to keep my 6 iron for more spin on some approach shots on narrow and shallow greens-maybe take the 7 iron out of the bag.

According to my PGA professional, beside fitting your clubs, it's all about staff flex. The club heads are pretty much all the same. I tried Cobras, Callaways, Pings, Clevelands, and Nikes, and ended up with Taylormade. It had the right balance for me to hit it far but was easy to hit. For example, the Cobras were easy to hit, but the staff had more flex (I'm guessing) and I got 10 less yards than the Talyormade. The Callaways and Pings exenuated my fade. The Clevelands felt really stiff. The Nikes were really close to the Taylormades in performance. It's all about personal preference. If you can get to a demo day and try them all, that's the key.

Another BTW, our course will be on the Golf Channel for the PGA Professional Tournament the last week of June, and will be on network TV for the Senior Tour Traditions Tournament in August. It's a really beautiful but challenging course. I'm happy to break 100 here, but can break 90 at a lot of courses. The name of the course is Crosswater in Sunriver, OR.

I play the Titleist ProV1 ball and have since it's inception. I like the feel of the ball. You won't necessarily get more yards with a ball that spins more if the clubhead speed isn't there. You sound like you are on the right track with the ball you play and it is an important factor. Just make sure you are getting a little height on your shots whatever the ball so that your shots are more playable. I see a lot of my members play a decent shot into the green but it runs off the back because it came in at eye level. Good luck and pm me if you need any other tips.

Thanks. Those of us that live in the land of hack keep thinking that it's the club's fault we suck at this game. Instead of playing course management most of the time, I swing as hard as I can on my drives. I can hit the ball over 250 with that 8.5, and when I get compression it’ll go 300 sometimes. The Pinnacle Gold (DT 90 wind) won’t get me compression much, but when it’s taking a right turn and just sort of fades, it’s a much calmer feeling than watching a high spin ball keep making that right turn OB.

Love the PRO VI. I have 130 of them and have I've never bought one. I have several dozen Callaway HX Tours and crappy shoes from spammers ONE Blacks as well. With all the hazards on the course I play, you just need to know where to look. If there is no one behind me, I search 10-15 minutes and can find 20. We live in the desert and the wetlands created by course design, and natural rivers recede as the summer goes on-exposing more and more golf balls. I was thinking about selling some of my Pro V's and my husband says they are very cheap on Ebay, so a tip on finding some used for cheap. I usually give friends a dozen when they come and visit-they will lose them all in just a day or two on our course.

BTW, when I said you have less control with the hybrids, what I meant was less spin on the green. If I get a #6 hybrid I might find a way to keep my 6 iron for more spin on some approach shots on narrow and shallow greens-maybe take the 7 iron out of the bag.

According to my PGA professional, beside fitting your clubs, it's all about staff flex. The club heads are pretty much all the same. I tried Cobras, Callaways, Pings, Clevelands, and Nikes, and ended up with Taylormade. It had the right balance for me to hit it far but was easy to hit. For example, the Cobras were easy to hit, but the staff had more flex (I'm guessing) and I got 10 less yards than the Talyormade. The Callaways and Pings exenuated my fade. The Clevelands felt really stiff. The Nikes were really close to the Taylormades in performance. It's all about personal preference. If you can get to a demo day and try them all, that's the key.

Another BTW, our course will be on the Golf Channel for the PGA Professional Tournament the last week of June, and will be on network TV for the Senior Tour Traditions Tournament in August. It's a really beautiful but challenging course. I'm happy to break 100 here, but can break 90 at a lot of courses. The name of the course is Crosswater in Sunriver, OR.

I used to pick up Easter eggs on the golf course, but years ago I picked up someone’s ball. It looked like an abandoned ball under a tree, so I picked it up. I play on, and when I got to my shot I can see the guys looking for the ball. I ran back there and put it right where I found it and apologized. There’s pretty much no way to not feel like a complete ass in that scenario, and so I just leave them.

First and foremost the main issue with buying sticks on ebay is you really don't know what you are getting as far as fit for your type of swing. Period the end. The advantage is...... for your recreational golfer that doesn't have a "TRUE" single digit handicap, but plays more for the fun and comraderie of the game. If you are serious enough about the game to achieve and maintain a single dig handicap, then you should always(and more than likely already do) get your clubs properly fitted to your swing. There is nothing like getting properly fitted to your set of sticks. You might as well use the ever changing and improving technology to its full advantage right? If you don't take the game too seriously then by all means go on ebay and buy away, better yet go to garage sales.

Hybrids hve been around for at least twenty years. That said they keep getting better. My faves currently are the Cleveland "Halo" series and the TayorMade Rescue series. Kepp the 3 iron at home and put a 18 degree hybrid in your bag and hit with confidence. less thinking about ones swing equates to better ball striking and better playing as you still need to putt to score. TaylorMade Rossa here.

I've went to a local golf store, used the simulator, and determined I want this club. So what's wrong with saving $150?

Nothing. I just paid $110 on ebay for an Odyssey Tri-Ball putter that was $200 at my local golf store.

Might have been an alligator gar. (and if so, it is probably best that it got away as the following pictures will attest):

I have caught (actually snagged) a Longnose Gar on the Mississippi. They have razor sharp teeth along the length of their "nose".

Didn't we do a "What's in your bag" thing one time? :D

My bag: Taylor Made R7 400cc driver, Cobra SS 3+ and 5 woods, Cleveland TA7 3-PW, Cleveland R588 52 and 57 degree wedges and an Odyssey Two-Ball DFX putter. I play ProV1s when it matters - Maxfli Noodles when I'm just goofing around. I hit my long irons pretty well, so I haven't looked real closely at hybrids. I did, however, hit my buddy's Hogan 1i hybrid on the range the other day and absolutely killed it - about 225 in the air dead down the middle. Just a little shorter than I hit my 5-wood, but a lot higher and straighter. I may be in the market for one soon. :D

You guys are killing me with the $20 ebay clubs! Go see your local PGA golf professional and get the questions answered properly. Hybrids are MUCH easier to hit than long irons and MUCH easier to control as well.

phooey. Gimme my 3 iron any day. Won't go as far but straight n true damn near every time.

My driver, however.... :D

phooey. Gimme my 3 iron any day. Won't go as far but straight n true damn near every time.

My driver, however.... :D

Opposite for me… I can’t hit a 3 or 4 iron worth a shat, especially if there's taller grass in front of the ball (I have a lot of experience hitting a second shot on a par 5 somewhere off the fairway).

Can I borrow you for a week or two, or three? :D Seriously, I'm a hacker and unless i devote more than once every 2 weeks or even longer to getting out on the course, I'll always be a hacker. Years and years ago I allowed myself to get upset, but now I come in with the realization that i basically suck. That way, when I do hit a good shot, it makes my pants tight. My older brother was the captain of the Pitt golf team when I was little. He was constantly out in the yard swinging his clubs. That's why he's a scratch golfer to this day. He lives and breathes golf. One of my proudest moments was beating him on a par 3 hole at his country club. I parred the hole and he had a very rare bogey. He wasn't very happy to say the least but I acted like I just won the lotto. Ah, the joys of golf.

i used to take my jon boat out with a buddy at the sand lake in orlando. we used to catch a ton of largemouth. one day i hooked into an alligator gar. fought that thing for about 10-15 minutes before i got him to the boat. i was thinking i might have some sort of record bass.......but no, it was one of those nasty ass things. a tip for fishermen who might not know, do not attempt to take the hook out of its mouth. just cut the line off. it was fun fighting with it....just sucked when i saw what it was.