[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cats ....dreaded cats

isleseeya

So I find out that a cat decides to have her babies in my backyard , under the steps of my deck ( there is a small opening where they can fit and are protected from elements under my steps )

Problem is I have a nice pond in my backyard with 6 beautiful large koi which I have had for amlost 4 years ...have to believe cats pose a serious threat to my fish ..plus I am allergic ( very allergic ) to cats as well as fact I have 4 children who play back there and really do not want overprotective mommy cat going after them to protect her kittens

I am an animal lover ...so how do I humanely get ride of these cats and this problem asap ??

Help

You should be able to borrow a humane trap from your local animal control office. It may be tricky getting mom and all her kittens in there at the same time, though. You can trap mom and put the kittens in a box or something in order to transport them to the shelter. Just don't keep them separated for too long, though.

You're in New Jersey, right?

http://www.njspca.org/

But be warned, if they don't find homes for adoption, the cats will be euthanized.

I am in Nj and don't want them euthanized so may have to hold off on calling animal control just yet ...however if they kill any of my fish then my opinion may change ( just kidding as I would never purposefully hurt or kill a cat )

I don't know how close you are to Atlantic City, but when I was there a few years ago, I saw someone on the boardwalk taking care of a feral colony. If you do some looking and asking around, you may be able to find that guy or someone that does the same work that will be willing to relocate them for you. If mom cat is wild and unadoptable, a feral colony would be a good option for her. The kittens may be able to be adopted out through the shelter or SPCA or something.

I don't know how close you are to Atlantic City, but when I was there a few years ago, I saw someone on the boardwalk taking care of a feral colony. If you do some looking and asking around, you may be able to find that guy or someone that does the same work that will be willing to relocate them for you. If mom cat is wild and unadoptable, a feral colony would be a good option for her. The kittens may be able to be adopted out through the shelter or SPCA or something.

Never heard of this but it is interesting ..I am 60 miles north of AC ...this may be a last resort ...hoping for any easier solution in interim

Never heard of this but it is interesting ..I am 60 miles north of AC ...this may be a last resort ...hoping for any easier solution in interim

Where exactly are you in NJ? I can do some asking around for you this morning.

BTW - Is mom cat definitely feral and unmanageable? If not, a feral colony may not work out. :D

Edited by Vicky

Where exactly are you in NJ? I can do some asking around for you this morning.

BTW - Is mom cat definitely feral and unmanageable? If not, a feral colony may not work out. :D

Thanks vicky ( by the way I always liked you more than cliaz ..lol )

I live in jackson , NJ

Appreciate your efforts

Edit to add that mother cat so far appears to be manaegable and not aggressive although we really have not socialized or been in backyard when cats are out so this may change

Edited by isleseeya

Thanks vicky ( by the way I always liked you more than cliaz ..lol )

I live in jackson , NJ

Appreciate your efforts

Edit to add that mother cat so far appears to be manaegable and not aggressive although we really have not socialized or been in backyard when cats are out so this may change

I won't tell him if you don't. lol

I'll let you know if I find out anything, but that link from Ursa looks great! Lots of information about what you can do and how to go about doing it.

Thanks ursa as more good info given. ..you have cats don't you ursa ? If you are making a roadtrip to nj anytime soon , stop by

Seriously thanks :D

You're welcome. Pretty much every state has a network of excellent people dedicated to rescuing all manner of wildlife and other animals. We had cause to use the Minnesota wildlife rehab folks recently.

there only in asia or zoo's .. ever see the one at como the poor fbucker just walks back and forth and has that " please let me out or kill me look"

Same as the poor old polar bear, slowly going insane. I hate zoos like that.