[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mayday! Mayday!

detlef

OK, so I have one of those commercial grade door handles on my bathroom door at the restaurant. It has the little notch that you can unlock it from the outside with a screwdriver or butter knife. It is currently closed and locked and messing with the notch isn't working. I have the little pin that allows you to pull the handle off the barrel but no further than that.

Anyone with any advice?

OK, so I have one of those commercial grade door handles on my bathroom door at the restaurant. It has the little notch that you can unlock it from the outside with a screwdriver or butter knife. It is currently closed and locked and messing with the notch isn't working. I have the little pin that allows you to pull the handle off the barrel but no further than that.

Anyone with any advice?

I assume you can't just remove the hinges?

Edited by yo mama

I assume you can't just remove the hinges?

Hinges on the inside

just wait for polk to finish and have the hazmat crew on standby.

Ha ha very funny. Had to figure I'd get one

Can you access the bathroom from an exterior window, or perhaps from the an attic/crawlspace above the bathroom? Should be able to unlock from the inside, no?

No window, very dicey going through attic because it's a metal dropped ceiling that certainly wouldn't support my weight.

Can you get a butterknife between the door and the frame?

The door jam sort of covers that. Can't do the credit card thing either.

I sucked it up and called a locksmith. Actually the handle has been acting up anyway so I'm just being punished for delaying this. He's going to come down, change it out, and likely take all the profits I would have made today.

Fortunately, it's a small restaurant and each bathroom is a one person deal, so we're just having everyone use the women's room until he gets here.

I am not sure what type of lock it is but on many once the handle is removed their may be a plate that would come off to access the screws holding it on.

You may be able to call a locksmith for advice since they should be more familiar with those types of locks.

Hinges on the inside

Ha ha very funny. Had to figure I'd get one

No window, very dicey going through attic because it's a metal dropped ceiling that certainly wouldn't support my weight.

The door jam sort of covers that. Can't do the credit card thing either.

I sucked it up and called a locksmith. Actually the handle has been acting up anyway so I'm just being punished for delaying this. He's going to come down, change it out, and likely take all the profits I would have made today.

Fortunately, it's a small restaurant and each bathroom is a one person deal, so we're just having everyone use the women's room until he gets here.

no advice here, but your proficiency with the multiple-quote button is really coming along. :D

So, why should I have expected that hiring a proper locksmith would make any sense at all? Not sure, let's just say it hasn't.

So, I had engagements the night that this whole thing went down and, after calling the locksmith and explaining exactly what I needed to him, I left the job in the hands of my manager.

Dude showed up, got the handle off but didn't have the right kind of replacement handle. This was something I thought I'd worked out when I said, "I need a handicap approved handle (not a knob) for a commercial restroom". As I was speaking to someone who does this sort of thing for a living, I assumed I was straight. I was assured that he'd have everything he needed on the truck.

I get a call from my manager. "Dude doesn't have a handle, just a knob. He can install the knob tonight or come back in the morning to install the handle that matches the other."

Well, obviously I wanted him to come back in the morning and but the appropriate, legal handle on rather than one that could get me slapped with a fine from ADA. That said, I insisted that I not get charged for another trip since I made it clear what I needed from the outset. They were cool with that.

Next day, I come in and he's already been there and installed a freaking exterior door handle! Rather than simply having a push button lock on the inside, you could either push it, or push and twist it. Of course, if you push and twist, it remains locked even after you open the door. Thus, locking behind you when you leave. Also, rather than being able to open it from the outside with a butter knife or screwdriver, you needed a key. Nobody who has any idea about doors and locks would confuse this for a bathroom door handle (unless it was an exterior bathroom door handle like at gas station).

So I call back, "You gave me the wrong kind of handle".

"Nope, that's the right kind sir."

"Well why in the hell would I want a door that will require me to continually unlock with a key throughout service?"

"Well, if they just push the button rather than totally engage the lock, you won't have a problem."

"Well the first freaking time I used it, I engaged the freaking lock, so I have to assume that others might as well. Are you prepared to stand here all night and tell people how to use the lock or unlock it after they don't do it right?"

Long story short, I got a call back yesterday evening saying that the supervisor agrees with me and they'll change it out. I got to the restaurant this morning to learn that, as I expected, my manager had to unlock the door 5 times last night during service.

Idiots.