[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiering System

so, we're going into our 5th annual fantasy league time and all ive ever done is have a list 1-150 and picked accordingly yet ive still made playoffs everytime and won it all twice. well, this year i think i wanna try a tier system for each position. i mean there are players that i vale at equals and dont wanna overpay for one player when i can get an equally good player later on in the draft. what do you all think of a tiering system? i will post my tier when i get it going to see what y'all think.

Tiering/value drafting is the way to go. It is the easiest way to illustrate as your draft is going what positions are a bit deeper in terms of who is left on the board, so you know that if you 4 RBs in a tier and only 1 WR, you should probably grab the WR in the higher tier and plan to take one of the 4 RBs that you have together in a subsequent round.

I actually really never combine my positions into a single list. I keep it separated by position, then, as my turn is coming up, I peruse my top players at each position, study me team needs and the needs of the teams picking between me and my next pick to come up with a plan on who I think may slip to my next round, and who I think definitely won't so I can target the player that is least likely to make it to my next pick that fills in my biggest need at the time.

Edited by Big Country

so, we're going into our 5th annual fantasy league time and all ive ever done is have a list 1-150 and picked accordingly yet ive still made playoffs everytime and won it all twice. well, this year i think i wanna try a tier system for each position. i mean there are players that i vale at equals and dont wanna overpay for one player when i can get an equally good player later on in the draft. what do you all think of a tiering system? i will post my tier when i get it going to see what y'all think.

Tiering is exactly the way to rank players for precisely the reason you stated - you don't want to overpay for a player when you can get a projected similar player later in the draft. Some call it setting up buckets. I'm sure you get some good feedback here when you post your tiers.

Good luck - well worth the work it takes to set it up. :D

so, heres my intial tier of QBs. comments / suggestions??? :D

Quarterbacks

1st Tier - Automatic :D (top players with very low risk)

Peyton Manning, IND

Carson Palmer, CIN

Tom Brady, NE

2nd Tier - Solid :tup: (top players with some risk)

Drew Brees, New Orleans

Marc Bulger, St. Louis

Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia

3rd Tier - Boom/Bust :D (solid players but proven inconsistent, either Boom or Bust)

Michael Vick, Atlanta

Matt Hasselbeck, Seattle

Vince Young, Tennessee

Matt Leinart, Arizona

Tony Romo, Dallas

Jon Kitna, Detroit

Jay Cutler, Denver

Brett Favre, Green Bay

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh

Philip Rivers, San Diego

Chad Pennington, N.Y. Jets

Eli Manning, N.Y. Giants

Jake Delhomme, Carolina

Steve McNair, BAL

4th Tier - Back-ups :D (starters, yet very inconsistent and should only be a #2 guy)

Alex Smith, SF

Jeff Garcia, TB

Rex Grossman, CHI

Damon Huard, KC

Jason Campbell, WAS

J.P. Losman, BUF

Matt Schaub, HOU

Byron Leftwich, JAC / David Garrard, JAC

5th Tier - Untouchable :doh: (way too risky and shouldn’t be considered for #1 or #2)

Chris Simms, TB

David Carr, CAR

A.J. Feeley, PHI

Daunte Culpepper, MIA

Kurt Warner, ARI

Trent Green, KC

Charlie Frye, CLE / Brady Quinn, CLE

Josh McCown, OAK / JaMarcus Russell, OAK

Tarvaris Jackson, MIN

Edited by morris0311

okay. so heres my running back tiers. im really not a fan of RBBC's from a fantasy standpoint, and think it'll effect some of these placements. Yet proven, solid RBs that are really the only guys on their team gets my upside :D

Running Backs

1st Tier - Automatic :doh: (best of the best. period. locks for top 3 picks....)

LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego / Michael Turner, San Diego

Steven Jackson, St. Louis

Larry Johnson, Kansas City

2nd Tier - Solid :D (good, very solid performers that arent in RBBC )

Shaun Alexander, Seattle

Frank Gore, San Francisco

Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia / Correll Buckhalter, Philadelphia

Joseph Addai, Indianapolis

Willie Parker, Pittsburgh

Rudi Johnson, Cincinnati

Willis McGahee, Baltimore

Laurence Maroney, New England

Clinton Portis, Washington / Ladell Betts, Washington

Edgerrin James, Arizona

Thomas Jones, N.Y. Jets / Leon Washington, N.Y. Jets

Reggie Bush, New Orleans / Deuce McAllister, New Orleans

3rd Tier - Good yet Risky or Splitting :D (i really just dont like RBBC...but solid #2 guys)

Ronnie Brown, Miami

Travis Henry, Denver

Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville / Fred Taylor, Jacksonville

Ahman Green, Houston

Cedric Benson, Chicago

Cadillac Williams, Tampa Bay

Jamal Lewis, Cleveland

Marion Barber, Dallas / Julius Jones, Dallas

Adrian Peterson, Minnesota / Chester Taylor, Minnesota

DeAngelo Williams, Carolina / DeShaun Foster, Carolina

Warrick Dunn, Atlanta / Jerious Norwood, Atlanta

Tatum Bell, Detroit / Kevin Jones, Detroit

4th Tier - Boom or Bust :D (can be good, but unproven and/or inconsistency raises eyebrows)

Brandon Jacobs, N.Y. Giants / Reuben Droughns, N.Y. Giants

Marshawn Lynch, Buffalo / Anthony Thomas, Buffalo

LaMont Jordan, Oakland / Dominic Rhodes, Oakland

5th Tier - Yuck :tup: (don’t even pay attention to these RBBC, just won’t produce enough)

Vernand Morency, Green Bay / Brandon Jackson, Green Bay

Chris Henry, Tennessee / LenDale White, Tennessee

Edited by morris0311

the reason why i have henry and ronnie brown there is this. miamis offense is gonna need to show that it can do somethin without him, if not every team will crowd line again and he will have a productive yet un-spectacular year (which at the top of tier 3 means an inconsistant #2 guy but a pretty dam* good #3 RB). then henry, really truely i believe he'll be a very solid #2 guy and a steal in the DEN system, but the threat of mike bell being there and drug suspensions against him or just a couple of questionable things has him from top to mid 2nd tier to top 3rd tier...the henry thing id be most likely to consider moving, i had brown last season and he had a good season but with that awful OLine and a very lacking surrounding offense, im afraid he might see many 8 man fronts again, hindering his production.

with all things well-and-good, id have both henry and ronnie mid 2nd tierers no doubt. just some questions i need nswered before i consider takin either one with my 2nd overall pick.

**as a rule i tend to stay away from any RBs in RBBC. i really look down on them and would have rather say a cadillac or ahman green than say two DAL RBs that kinda hinder each other. so, the only real RBBC id see worth taking only 1/2 of is the New Orleans duo, but still i like to have a work horse than a RBBC in fantasy football**

Edited by morris0311

Initial thought: Tiers that large won't accomplish what you want it to on draft day.

Tier the top 12-15 QBs, the top 24-27 RBs, the top 30-35 WRs, and the top 12 TEs, and forget the flotsam after that - they're all crapshoots after that point anyhow.

point taken BB. will put modified ones up in a bit. and to the other post, i didnt put the RBBC in any particular order, either way with martz running the show the two of them splitting carries only worsens their statistical output. kevin still may start over tatum but its irrelevant really wither way...theyre wayyy down the list.

THE OFFICIAL MORRIS TIER OF FANTASY FOOTBAL COMING LATER TONIGHT FOR DEBATE AND USE :D

Tier-man, :D morris0311, will be ranking: top 15 QBs, top 30 RB or RBBC, top 40 WR, top 12 TE and top 15 D/ST

so, be ready to critique, agree, disagree, and give suggestions!...coming soon to a new thread near you :doh::tup:

here's a quick 'off-the-top' ranking....I have it set for PPR...5 tiers....I left out names that are too iffy for me or I feel I don't have enough information at this time to rank.....plus injuries between now and the time of my local draft...

LaDainian Tomlinson

Steven Jackson

Larry Johnson

Frank Gore

Brian Westbrook

Joseph Addai

Travis Henry

Clinton Portis

Willie Parker

Shaun Alexander

Laurence Maroney

Reggie Bush

Thomas Jones

Rudi Johnson

Ronnie Brown

Willis McGahee

Deuce McAllister

Edgerrin James

Maurice Jones-Drew

Cedric Benson

overall i think your tiers look great. i would maybe make a minor switch - westbrook for alexander. westy is just too injury prone.

in a PPR, not sure you want to make that switch, I may move SA up to that 2nd tier, but it is a matter of personal opinion

in a PPR, not sure you want to make that switch, I may move SA up to that 2nd tier, but it is a matter of personal opinion

yeah, I haven't been much of a SA fan...even though he produces...he seems about late 2nd tier in a PPR...

I just personally think he's on the verge of being a wasted pick in the 1st and I try to minimize those to the fullest...

I miss out on gems.....but more times than not, it works out at least pretty good..