[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steriod testing in Texas high schools

Grits and Shins

I totally blame this on 'Smash' from Friday Night Lights. If that story line hadn't aired, nobody would suspect that HS ballers are playing dirty....

I doubt that show has anything to do with it. I'm five years removed from high school, but I can tell you that roids are still a problem in High School football programs. Or at least it was in the area where I went to High School in Denton Texas. There were a few guys who juiced and if you asked them about it they would either get really pissed and roid rage on everyone or kind of smirk and walk off. One of the guys im friends with admitted to me that he used roids during that time as well. Its something that needs to be done.

I doubt that show has anything to do with it. I'm five years removed from high school, but I can tell you that roids are still a problem in High School football programs. Or at least it was in the area where I went to High School in Denton Texas. There were a few guys who juiced and if you asked them about it they would either get really pissed and roid rage on everyone or kind of smirk and walk off. One of the guys im friends with admitted to me that he used roids during that time as well. Its something that needs to be done.

Texas can't even figure out how to fund public education and now they want to come up with an additional $4 million per year?

That's like buying steak when you can't afford bread.

Texas can't even figure out how to fund public education and now they want to come up with an additional $4 million per year?

That's like buying steak when you can't afford bread.

Well, they could always just ban high school football in Texas. :D

Just tell them your daughters are clean.

Well, they could always just ban high school football in Texas. :D

Well ... there it is ... the main cruxt of the problem ... there is way too much emphasis on high school football here in Texas (and across the nation).

I'd like to see funding cut in half across the state for the football programs and the seasons shortened. Kids are supposed to be in HS to get an education.

Well ... there it is ... the main cruxt of the problem ... there is way too much emphasis on high school football here in Texas (and across the nation).

I'd like to see funding cut in half across the state for the football programs and the seasons shortened. Kids are supposed to be in HS to get an education.

Amen. Anyone with talent (and without rich parents) is trying to be a '1%er' - that is, the 1% that get a full scholarship to play college. Besides being the BMOC in HS, playing football is seen as a ticket to either the pros or at least a degree, and therefore a great life. And for a select few, it might work out, roids or not.

But most don't understand what that treadmill does to you: if you needed them to get to the next level, the competition in Div1A will be even harder, so you'll have to keep using them. Then by the time you graduate (and/or quit playing without a degree,) your body is shot, you likely have a lifelong knee or shoulder injury that the roids made worse, and you'll be in pain forever. That leads to the addiction to painkillers like Percoset - ask even a superstar like Brett Favre.

If that happens, then you'll be lucky to get out of bed enough to hold a job in the local Dairy Queen, forget about dealing with the high stress world of big business or a demanding profession like law or medicine. Then your HS years as a bigshot were truly the glory days, and its all downhill from there. Sad life.....