[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Players Union Supports Thugs

spain

http://www.thetennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll...RTS01/705300421

Wednesday, 05/30/07

Players union rallies to Pacman

NFL chief told penalty too harsh

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

The NFL Players Association has stepped up its support for Pacman Jones with a letter to Commissioner Roger Goodell requesting the Titans cornerback's season-long suspension be reduced.

The four-page letter could impact Goodell's reconsideration of the suspension, which Jones appealed earlier this month. It raised questions about punishing a player retroactively and the severity of the suspension, but did not list concerns with the NFL's new personal conduct policy.

Previously, the union's support of Jones seemed lukewarm, and it had signed off on Goodell's recent conduct crackdown, which led to the suspension. Now the NFLPA is assisting Jones and his legal team, according to the letter.

"We support every player's appeal,'' said Thomas DePaso, NFLPA staff counsel who signed the letter and was present at Jones' appeal hearing. "That is our obligation, and we do so and we have done it here. Other than that, I can't comment.''

Attorney Manny Arora, who represents Jones, said, "The NFLPA's position speaks for itself.'' An NFL official declined to comment.

Goodell suspended Jones on April 10 for engaging in conduct detrimental to the league on numerous occasions, although he left open the possibility of Jones being reinstated after 10 games if he follows specific conditions.

In Goodell's letter to Jones informing the cornerback of the suspension, the commissioner listed three reasons for the stiff penalty: pending obstruction charges in Georgia from 2006, the disposition of a January 2007 case on charges of disorderly conduct and public intoxication in Murfreesboro, and his failure to report charges in two separate 2006 cases in Georgia to the NFL.

Cases are compared

The union's letter to Goodell, dated May 23, states "your suspension of Jones without pay for the 2007 season is clearly excessive and much greater than discipline imposed upon players for the same or similar incidents.'' It says Jones has been treated differently than any other player has been treated under the old personal conduct policy.

"To impose discipline for pending charges also violates clearly established principles of employment and labor law,'' the letter states before going into detail on each example.

In comparison to other cases, DePaso wrote that Jones should have received fines, not extra games as part of his suspension.

"For all of the foregoing reasons, the NFLPA hereby requests that you reconsider the one-year suspension you imposed … as it is excessive and inconsistent with the treatment of other similarly situated players,'' the letter reads.

"We will defer to Jones' counsel for appropriate discipline, if any, to be suggested.''

In the letter of appeal Jones filed with the NFL, his attorneys made it clear a lawsuit is possible if the suspension is not reduced.

Did anyone expect any less. The union support has certainly been tepid at best, though, despite this letter which has taken a long time to be put forth.

I think the union is just going through the formalities of an action against Jones that it tacitly supports - kind of a "yeah, we're pissed, and you need to reduce the ruling *wink* *wink*".

"We support every player's appeal,'' said Thomas DePaso, NFLPA staff counsel who signed the letter and was present at Jones' appeal hearing. "That is our obligation, and we do so and we have done it here. Other than that, I can't comment.''

I think this speaks for itself. This is his union...I am not a member of one but know enough to know that they would have to step in at some point. Behind the scenes, they may not want to and other members may be asking them not to, but in the long run, this is at the core of their existence...protecting their players.

I think this speaks for itself. This is his union...I am not a member of one but know enough to know that they would have to step in at some point. Behind the scenes, they may not want to and other members may be asking them not to, but in the long run, this is at the core of their existence...protecting their players.

100% agree. We'll see if this is a tooth and nail fight or little more than lip service. I'm guessing they ake noise towards the former, but roll over into the latter. They're smart enough to know the wrong side.

I look at it kind of like a defense attorney. They may not condone their clients actions, and they may personally feel they are guilty as sin, but it's their job to defend them as much as they can.

If the NFLPA really wanted to fight the suspension, it wouldn't have taken several weeks to write this letter.

I look at it kind of like a defense attorney. They may not condone their clients actions, and they may personally feel they are guilty as sin, but it's their job to defend them as much as they can.

If the NFLPA really wanted to fight the suspension, it wouldn't have taken several weeks to write this letter.

Good info here.

Exactly.