[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which QB?

Its between Beck and Stanton, thats for sure.

I think Beck will be ready sooner than Stanton, but I like the fact that Stanton has a hugh arm, and is afforded the luxery or Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson, Mike Furrey, Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell

as opposed to what Beck has to work with... Chambers, Ginn, Robinson, and Ronnie Brown.

I'll also give the nudge to Martz over Cam Camerons crew.

Rookie QBs are such a crapshoot - even the pro scouts & coaches miss a lot.

That said, Stanton & Beck appear to be the choise you have to make unless your starting QB is McNabb.

Beck figures to have a better opportunity to start sooner, but I like Stanton's upside better for his career. Stanton also appears to have the "it" factor, and he figures to have superb WRs for a while.

I'd take Stanton over Beck.

I don't get the Stanton-love. He's a poor decision-maker, has questionable mechanics, and Michigan State significantly underachieved with him at the helm (not all his fault, but still). He's a big school kid with a big time athletic build, but whatever "it" is, he's a long ways off from attaining anything.

Beck is already 25, and in a situation where an offensive-minded coach drafted him presumably to groom him for a job that's presently being held by a 37 yr old with injury histories on a new team.

Kolb is behind McNabb, but that guy could be down and out for a long period of time at any given moment.

I'd pick it Beck, Kolb, Stanton.

I don't get the Stanton-love. He's a poor decision-maker, has questionable mechanics, and Michigan State significantly underachieved with him at the helm (not all his fault, but still). He's a big school kid with a big time athletic build, but whatever "it" is, he's a long ways off from attaining anything.

When was the last time Martz failed with a quarterback?

Never. Martz has already changed his mechanics... I don't think he'll start this year, but he has a shot to do so next season. I also don't blame him for the shortcomings of MSU. It helps if you have a real coaching staff around.

When was the last time Martz failed with a quarterback?

Never.

When was the last time the Lions succeeded with one they drafted? (the answer to the actual question is 1997, Gus Frerotte).

Martz has already changed his mechanics...

This is a positive? Do you read anything about John Beck having to change his mechanics? And basing the future productivity of a 2nd Round rookie QB who is not in line for starting this season on who his OC is....well, that's just plain ridiculous. Martz could very well only be in Detroit next season if he's running the show.

I recognize that the Detroit QB is going to have some serious talent at WR to throw to in the immediate future, but I don't see Stanton as having the overall skills necessary to succeed at the NFL level. 2nd Round draft picks that play at Big 10 programs shouldn't be having their mechanics ridiculed in the press by the coaching staff the first day they show up for a workout.

When was the last time the Lions succeeded with one they drafted? (the answer to the actual question is 1997, Gus Frerotte).

Drafted by the Skins in 1994

but I guess that helps you point since the correct answer would be Rodney Peete :D or Greg Landry

Drafted by the Skins in 1994

but I guess that helps you point since the correct answer would be Rodney Peete :D or Greg Landry

Frerotte was the answer to the last QB that Martz failed to develop. :D

I recognize that the Detroit QB is going to have some serious talent at WR to throw to in the immediate future, but I don't see Stanton as having the overall skills necessary to succeed at the NFL level. 2nd Round draft picks that play at Big 10 programs shouldn't be having their mechanics ridiculed in the press by the coaching staff the first day they show up for a workout.

Did it ever occur to you that Stanton succeeded at Mich St despite having poor mechanics, questionable coaching, and almost literally no talent around him that could compete at the Big 10 level? Maybe because of his competitiveness, that he understands the game, and that he has big time physical ability?

I'd say what you are putting forth only reinforces why Stanton should be the choice of the 3.

Did it ever occur to you that Stanton succeeded at Mich St despite having poor mechanics, questionable coaching, and almost literally no talent around him that could compete at the Big 10 level? Maybe because of his competitiveness, that he understands the game, and that he has big time physical ability?

I question your definition of "success". And I would also question the competitiveness of someone who's team has collapsed the way MichSt has the last two years. Not to mention a QB's understanding of the game who continues to force throws and stare down receivers as a 3 yr starter in the Big 10.

Obviously, I'm in the minority. Actually, more or less the only person saying anything cautious about Stanton's situation. I'm questioning my own opinions at this point, but I just don't like his prospects.

Put it this way: I like Beck and his situation enough to think he may be starting in Miami by the end of the season. When an organization like the Eagles and an offensive mind like Andy Reid sees something in a QB like Kevin Kolb to "reach" for him, it makes my opinion of the player go up. If the Detroit Lions pick the 3rd QB in the 2nd Round (with a gap of 50+ picks before the next one is taken) who has all the physical tools, but lots of questionable mechanics, forgive me for thinking they probably made a mistake.

I question your definition of "success". And I would also question the competitiveness of someone who's team has collapsed the way MichSt has the last two years. Not to mention a QB's understanding of the game who continues to force throws and stare down receivers as a 3 yr starter in the Big 10.

Obviously, I'm in the minority. Actually, more or less the only person saying anything cautious about Stanton's situation. I'm questioning my own opinions at this point, but I just don't like his prospects.

Put it this way: I like Beck and his situation enough to think he may be starting in Miami by the end of the season. When an organization like the Eagles and an offensive mind like Andy Reid sees something in a QB like Kevin Kolb to "reach" for him, it makes my opinion of the player go up. If the Detroit Lions pick the 3rd QB in the 2nd Round (with a gap of 50+ picks before the next one is taken) who has all the physical tools, but lots of questionable mechanics, forgive me for thinking they probably made a mistake.

It's okay to have a varying opinion. I was on the LJ bandwagon & warning people off Alexander last year, and was in the minority doing it. You put forth your analysis & let people take their swings at you if they want to.

That said, I have drafted Beck in a dynasty draft this year, but only because Stanton had already gone off the board. I think Beck is the 4th best QB prospect coming out this year, while I thought Stanton was at least the 2nd best.

I find it curious that you are so concerned about Stanton's mechanics being altered, even though Stanton threw very well in a BCS conference last year and has willingly accomodated Martz' changes, but you don't say a thing about Beck's low release point & the fact that he has had a bunch of passes knocked back into his own facemask because of it. Beck also played in BYU's shotgun/sprerad O, from which we have seen quite a few other QBs having a tough time transitioning to the pros. He has average arm strength & put up his stats in a weaker middle of the road conference.

Having seen quite a bit of both (living in the Rockys we get to see quite a bit of the MWC games, and having grown up in WIS, I watch all the Big 10 that I can), it seems to me that Stanton has the better chance at success at the next level.

Time will tell...

Edited by Bronco Billy