[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need advice for an entry-level computer system

wiegie

I've got a friend who doesn't really know jack about computers who wants to get one for the purpose of browsing the internet, checking e-mail, and playing around with digital photos. The person is not a gamer at all (unless you count solitare).

Anybody have any advice for a such a system?

I've got a friend who doesn't really know jack about computers who wants to get one for the purpose of browsing the internet, checking e-mail, and playing around with digital photos. The person is not a gamer at all (unless you count solitare).

Commodore 64 is where it's at.

If he insists on buying one new, he should get the cheapest he can find, which will still be gross overkill for his purposes.

I thought emachines were crap. Is this incorrect?

Compared to a dell? :D

Anything is a good enough deal if it is cheap enough. Emachines have the same guts in them as dells, they are actually much easier/cheaper to repare down the road if you ever do have a problem.

You asked for cheap, I gave you cheap.

Cheap is good--I just wanted to make sure that the computer will run properly.

Thanks for the advice to all of you. (And I'm still open to hearing more.)

for the money the pc h8 linked will be fine for him and not to mention it has XP on it and not VISTA

Compared to a dell? :D

Anything is a good enough deal if it is cheap enough. Emachines have the same guts in them as dells, they are actually much easier/cheaper to repare down the road if you ever do have a problem.

You asked for cheap, I gave you cheap.

I've used a couple of E-Machines in my office when the boss said get a cheap system. Works perfectly for the basic stuff. You can get some pretty good deals from Tiger Direct also on their open box stuff. Here's a link to the emachines stuff:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...rId=305&CatId=6

Cheap is good--I just wanted to make sure that the computer will run properly.

Thanks for the advice to all of you. (And I'm still open to hearing more.)

Just to let you know, I work in hardware end of this industry. The big thing about the low end PC's is that... well, I can't tell you, but what I can tell you is to look at the warranty. If something is going to go wrong, it's prolly gonna happen right out of the box. After that, just back everything up on an external drive (they're fairly cheap now). If you go with a Dell or HP and something does go wrong, they'll fix it. Other brands may fix it just as fast, but paying an extra $50 for something I'm sure will happen should I need the warranty is my point.

Again, you could buy a raggedly p1 with 128 ram, put puppy linux on the thing and be faster than 90% of the winblows machines out there.

For my own next system, I might just do that. But for my friend who is buying the computer, I figured Windows XP is probably the best bet.

For my own next system, I might just do that. But for my friend who is buying the computer, I figured Windows XP is probably the best bet.

Drop 12 cents on a blank cd, go to puppylinux.org and download v. 2.16, burn to cd, reboot, hit f8 or whatever to go into bios, boot from cd and try it out. As long as you do not install it you will learn a great deal with no after affects. If you install it you can thank me later.