[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a fridge

muck

Here's the deal:

We had to include our fridge in the sale of our current home.

We did not include our fridge in the purchase of our next home.

Our next home needs to have the kitchen remodeled (pretty badly) ... but this isn't in the cards for at least 3-6 months (maybe as much as 1-2yrs out).

The plan is that whatever we buy now will not be a part of the redone kitchen, and instead will find a new life down in the soon-to-be-completely-redone basement.

Wife loves our current fridge ... freezer on the bottom ... stainless steel ... around 25 cubic feet in size (iirc, it's a Kitchen Aid).

I don't want to spend $1900 (or whatever they cost). I want to get something functional and pretty good sized. She doesn't care about the stainless since this will be a short-timer fridge (a black one is just peachy for her). I keep telling my wife that if we can save $500-1000 on this fridge, that it's one more thing that she can do to this new house...

Anyone here sell fridge's for a living? Any experience with someplace like Sears scratch and dent? Any experience with buying fridge's out of the classified's?

Suggestions?

Don't think this is what you are looking for in the immediate future, but don't buy a Sub Zero-they are an overpriced piece of s**t. When remodel time comes and considering what are thought to be top brands, we have not had good luck with the two we have, and have heard the same from others who own them.

Here's the deal:

We had to include our fridge in the sale of our current home.

We did not include our fridge in the purchase of our next home.

Our next home needs to have the kitchen remodeled (pretty badly) ... but this isn't in the cards for at least 3-6 months (maybe as much as 1-2yrs out).

The plan is that whatever we buy now will not be a part of the redone kitchen, and instead will find a new life down in the soon-to-be-completely-redone basement.

Wife loves our current fridge ... freezer on the bottom ... stainless steel ... around 25 cubic feet in size (iirc, it's a Kitchen Aid).

I don't want to spend $1900 (or whatever they cost). I want to get something functional and pretty good sized. She doesn't care about the stainless since this will be a short-timer fridge (a black one is just peachy for her). I keep telling my wife that if we can save $500-1000 on this fridge, that it's one more thing that she can do to this new house...

Anyone here sell fridge's for a living? Any experience with someplace like Sears scratch and dent? Any experience with buying fridge's out of the classified's?

Suggestions?

A girl at work is selling a 2 year old, black side by side for $600. She lived in a house for a year, had to move, and it's been at her mom's for a year.

Buy a used one. If not Sears Scratch and Dent is the cheapest and best place to get one, imo.

+1

Muck, this is one time that you're just gonna have to get Mrs. muck to understand that any fridge that comes in cheap is the one you want. Features are not a priority right now. I'm typically against buying cheap, but in this instance it is the way to go.

Muck,

Here at my workplace we have a classifieds section for all the employees and I have had good success with both selling and buying. I think it's okay to buy this way and I have also heard good and bad stories about the Sears outlet place you are referring to. It's all what you're comfortable with really, but I think it's not that big a deal to purchase this way, some folks just have to sell for certain reasons just as CD pointed out.

Thanks ... btw, the current fridge (the one that's staying with the house) was a Sears scratch and dent ... mixed reviews after having it for 2yrs ... I'm willing to try it again, though ...

Go to Lowe's and Sears and price out a mid-range model you like, one that has the features you want. Then take those prices to a local private dealer and start to haggle. You should be able to save $200-300, and get free install.

This was the tactic I used on my washer and dryer and it worked like a charm. The local guy chopped $300 off the Lowe's price ($325 off Sears) and gave free delivery / install / removal. He said they had to do whatever they could to keep the business away from the box stores.

It took some running around on my part, but it was definately worth it.