[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Green Power

cliaz

So I’m a little upset [like most Marylanders here] about our 50% rate hike on power. I decide to check out other electric companies to see if their service would extend over to my area and I came across something interesting. All electric companies that service Maryland offer green power for more money. Example:

Cost per kwt during the summer months is 0.103030000. I used 857 kwt last reading which is 88.29 base rate not including all of the fees and delivery charges and stuff. That is for coal or fossil fuel.

BG&E offers to supplement your coal or fossil fuel power with wind power at 0.13768600 per kwt. Which would be $117.99 plus other fees and stuff.

So I’m like “Why pay more?” Well then I stumbled across a tax credit that the state of Maryland offers for people who elect to go green with their power.

Clean Energy Production Tax Credit - Personal

Last DSIRE Review: 11/03/2006

Incentive Type: Personal Tax Credit

Eligible Renewable/Other Technologies: Solar Thermal Electric, Photovoltaics, Landfill Gas, Wind, Biomass, Hydroelectric, Geothermal Electric, Municipal Solid Waste, Anaerobic Digestion

Applicable Sectors: Residential

Amount: 0.85¢/kWh (0.5¢/kWh for co-fired electricity)

Maximum Incentive: $2.5 million (total credit during five-year period)

Carryover Provisions: Remainder of credit carried forward to succeeding taxable years until credit is used or until expiration of the 10th taxable year after the taxable year in which the credit began

Authority 1: Md. TAX-GENERAL Code § 10-720

Summary:

Maryland offers a production tax credit for electricity generated by wind, geothermal energy, solar energy, hydropower, small irrigation power, municipal solid waste and biomass resources. Eligible biomass resources include anaerobic digestion, landfill gas, wastewater-treatment gas, and cellulosic material derived from forest-related resources (excluding old-growth timber), from waste pallets and crates, or from agricultural sources.

To qualify, a facility that "primarily uses" eligible resources to generate electricity must (1) be placed in service on or after January 1, 2006, but before January 1, 2011, or (2) generate electricity from an eligible resource that is co-fired with coal and initially begins co-firing an eligible resource on or after January 1, 2006, but before January 1, 2011, regardless of when the original facility was placed in service.

An individual or corporation that applies for and receives certification from the Maryland Energy Administration may claim a credit equal to 0.85 cents per kilowatt-hour (0.85¢/kWh) against the state income tax, for a five-year period, for electricity generated by eligible resources. The credit for electricity generated by co-firing is 0.5 cents per kilowatt-hour (0.5¢/kWh). The electricity generated must be sold to an unrelated person during the taxable year.

Certificates issued by the Maryland Energy Administration will state the maximum amount of credit over a five-year period and the earliest tax year for which the credit may be claimed. The maximum amount of credit is based on estimated annual energy production during a five-year period, or $2.5 million. The sum of all credits statewide may not exceed $25 million. If the credit in any taxable year exceeds a taxpayer's state income tax, the remainder of the credit may be carried forward and applied to succeeding taxable years until the credit is used or until the expiration of the 10th taxable year after the taxable year in which the credit began.

Applications for credit certificates will be approved on a first-come, first-served basis. Certificates will not be issued after December 31, 2010. If, over a three-year period, a taxpayer does not claim on average at least 10% of the maximum credit amount stated in the certificate, the Maryland Energy Administration may cancel part of the certificate.

Now I don’t know if it would be a good choice right now because the way I’m reading this is you don’t get the credit until 2011. But either which way I’ve started my quest to green up my house a bit [and plan on converting the N.C. home to all green].

These bulbs use less than one quarter of the energy of an incandescent bulb of the same brightness making them one of the easiest and most effective energy saving measures you can take.

And then when I do this other website I will convert my hot water heater over to a solar hot water heater.

ill be converting our house into a green one and hopefully get off the grid.

i owuld like to do this also but money is getting in the way

Yeah a 2500 sq foot home cost $38,000 to convert to solar power right now. Plus various states will add a tax to your property because it is considered to be a luxury.

I've been running compact flourescents in my house for about 15 years now. The only problem with them is you can't use them with a dimmer.

Yeah a 2500 sq foot home cost $38,000 to convert to solar power right now. Plus various states will add a tax to your property because it is considered to be a luxury.

yup i was looking at wind/solar. and geothermal and it was going to be like 35.... just cant do that...

just need to win the lottery :D

Amazing that using the sun would be considered a luxury...gotta love some of these states govt