[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Guitar Solos of All Time

SheikYerbuti

I got to see Dicky Betts play with Johnny Lang and BB King here for BB's Birthday a few years back and I must say DB was outstanding...way better than all the rest & even stayed playing with BB well after the show was over & most of the others had left...just sitting on stage jamming with BB. He obviously has a sincere love of playing music. :D

:D I'm jealous.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys ever hear a grateful dead song , called viola blues ( believe that is full name ) ...they did not play it often in concerts ...the song is amazing as the guitar solo's is sick ...totally unexpected and blows you away ...if I can find a link to the song I will post it

I think this list also needs duane allman who was fantastic and died way too young

Albert king also played a mean guitar ...

I love listening to Albert King. . .you can hear the bits and pieces that Stevie Ray Vaughn incorporated into his style. It's tough to put Albert onto a top 10 list, though. How can you include him but not BB King, Buddy Guy, Lighning Hopkins, Albert Collins, etc. . .?

I think this list also needs duane allman who was fantastic and died way too young

Without Duane, Layla wouldn't be the classic that it is that's for sure. He is listed as 2nd right behind Santana on my all time favorite guitar players.

You guys ever hear a grateful dead song , called viola blues ( believe that is full name ) ...they did not play it often in concerts ...the song is amazing as the guitar solo's is sick ...totally unexpected and blows you away ...if I can find a link to the song I will post it

Without Duane, Layla wouldn't be the classic that it is that's for sure. He is listed as 2nd right behind Santana on my all time favorite guitar players.

I am very much in agreement with you ..I have a cd with duane's greatest works and I still get goosebumps when I play it ...has a version of hey jude on it and some other songs which are awesome

I love listening to Albert King. . .you can hear the bits and pieces that Stevie Ray Vaughn incorporated into his style. It's tough to put Albert onto a top 10 list, though. How can you include him but not BB King, Buddy Guy, Lighning Hopkins, Albert Collins, etc. . .?

True but for me , most of the ones you mentioned would be in my top 10 anyway

BTW, that's Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring playing on this video not Garcia. I'm guessing that it's not the solo that isleseeya was talking about.

isleseeya, were you talking about the studio version or a live cut?

BTW, that's Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring playing on this video not Garcia. I'm guessing that it's not the solo that isleseeya was talking about.

isleseeya, were you talking about the studio version or a live cut?

Live cut for sure ...and I got it off one of the Dick picks compilations ...it is so worth finding and hearing

P..s on the duan allman cd I was referring to in a previous post , it was off the cd called duane allman ,an anthology

On disc 1 , first song is a actually a 3 song medley with BB king ...it is really fantastic

Live cut for sure ...and I got it off one of the Dick picks compilations ...it is so worth finding and hearing

P..s on the duan allman cd I was referring to in a previous post , it was off the cd called duane allman ,an anthology

On disc 1 , first song is a actually a 3 song medley with BB king ...it is really fantastic

Do you know which one? (I got them all...)

While making a personal list is subjective....and we seem to have a wide range of views here... this site has an interesting list that seems to reflect a good few views here:

http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100great...?PM=ss12_guitar

1. Jimmy Page - Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin)

2. Eddie Van Halen - Eruption (Van Halen)

3. Collins/Rossington - Freebird (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

4. David Gilmour - Comfortably Numb

5. Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

6. Slash - November Rain (Guns 'n Roses)

7. Kirk Hammet - One (Metallica)

8. Don Felder/Joe Walsh - Hotel California (The Eagles)

9. Randy Rhoads - Crazy Train (Ozzy Ozbourne)

10. Eric Clapton - Crossroads

11. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile

12. Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode

13. Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood

14. Clapton/Allman - Layla (Derek and the Dominoes)

15. Dimebag Darrel - Floods (Pantera)

16. Jimmy Page - Heartbreaker (Led Zeppelin)

17. Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

18. Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing

19. Ritchie Blackmore - Highway Star (Deep Purple)

20. Brian May - Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

Overall Hendrix dominates the top 100.

trying to see if i can get a link to this song from work..hope the below linkworks for viola lee blues

viola lee

wait one...over

This the one you're thinking of? It's about 15 MB even ripped as an mp3 for the momos.

Edited by Kid Cid

1. Rock Bottom- UFO (Michael Schenker)

2. Something's Coming our Way- Frank Marino

3. Achille's Last Stand- Zep

4. Still Got the Blues- Gary Moore

5. Hibernation- Ted Nugent

6. Ditch Queen- Frank Marino

7. Europa- Santana

8. SATO- Randy Rhodes

9. Eruption- EVH

10. Thunder and Lightning- Thin Lizzy (John Sykes)

edit to replace Poppy with Europa

Edited by Redfish

6. Slash - November Rain (Guns 'n Roses)

Am I the only one who thinks Slash is a fraud? I saw somewhere that the opening of "Sweet Child 'O Mine" was voted the Greatest Guitar Riff of all time. What a joke. . .it's the same 8 notes repeated over and over again in straight rolling eighth notes. Booooo-ring. Then again, I think the same of "Smoke on the Water" and "Ironman".

Overall Hendrix dominates the top 100.

Justice. Sometimes the cream does rise to the top. In a universe all his own, IMO.

Stone in love or Anyway You Want It - Neil Schon, Journey. I remember this guy could RIP! I saw him live in the ealry 80s and he could jam with anyone.

I saw Journey (with the fake Steve Perry front man) and Peter Frampton a few years ago at Red Rocks. They were both awesome, but different. Neil Schon played with more speed, and Frampton played with more feel. My top three:

1. Bron-Yr-Aur – Led Zeppelin.

2. Do you feel like we do – Peter Frampton

“On the live version, Frampton used a talkbox, a device hooked up to his guitar amp that allowed him to make distorted vocal sounds through a tube in his mouth. Other groups had success with the device around that time (Aerosmith used it on "Sweet Emotion" the year before), but Frampton became known for it because he played a talkbox solo on this. Every time he formed words, the crowd went nuts, especially when he sounded out "I want to thank you," which came out sounding like "I want to f--k you."

3. Eruption – Van Halen. I was 15 or 16 when this album came out, and it blew everything else away at the time.

While not the greatest of all-time, I was listening to the ipod whilst riding the bike yesterday, and it struck me what a great guitar player Elliott Easton of The Cars is. "Tonight She Comes" has a rippin' solo in it, for an otherwise throwaway tune that was the "single" included on the Greatest Hits CD from '85 or so when they broke up.

I like bass players better anyway. Mike Watt? I'll take a rippin' Whisperin' While Hollerin' solo over most tappers any day of the week.