[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

U.S. Fears Terror Spectacular Planned

Flip_Side

A secret U.S. law enforcement report, prepared for the Department of Homeland Security, warns that al Qaeda is planning a terror "spectacular" this summer, according to a senior official with access to the document.

"This is reminiscent of the warnings and intelligence we were getting in the summer of 2001," the official told ABCNews.com.

U.S. officials have kept the information secret, and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said today on ABC News' "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" that the United States did not have "have any specific credible evidence that there's an attack focused on the United States at this point."

As ABCNews.com reported, U.S. law enforcement officials received intelligence reports two weeks ago warning of terror attacks in Glasgow and Prague, the Czech Republic, against "airport infrastructure and aircraft."

The warnings apparently never reached officials in Scotland, who said this weekend they had received "no advance intelligence" that Glasgow might be a target.

Homeland Security Secretary Chertoff declined to comment specifically on on the report today, but said "everything that we get is shared virtually instantaneously with our counterparts in Britain and vice versa."

Unlike the United States, officials in Germany have publicly warned that the country could face a major attack this summer, also comparing the situation to the pre-9/11 summer of 2001.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=3336148

if i am not mistaken and i am not trying to down play any threat , this is not the first time that we have heard of imminent attacks ...this does not mean we should take it lightly but again this is not the first time nor the last i suspect we will hear this ...and if they do not have credible evidence or where , when and if an attack is to take place in the US , not sure there is a whole lot we can do ..other than try to live our lives normally

It’s in the terrorists best interests to have us change our habits thinking something is just 'round the corner. More security, more costs, more fear, more mistakes by our own government in their war against an ideology.

9/11 keeps on paying dividends to fundamentalists

It’s in the terrorists best interests to have us change our habits thinking something is just 'round the corner. More security, more costs, more fear, more mistakes by our own government in their war against an ideology.

9/11 keeps on paying dividends to fundamentalists

I know right? If we just leave them alone, they'll leave us alone.

I know right? If we just leave them alone, they'll leave us alone.

eh... no. maybe. If we never went into Iraq - and put out time into Afganistan - terrorism would be far less a probem. So while doing nothing isn't good - there are certain things we can do which make the problem worse.

Including suggesting that this is the summer that they get us.... if someone saying 'terror spectacular' makes the government work harder to protect us - we have issues. They should be doing their best to begin with. All the announcement of a 'terror spectacular' does is make us scared - which works into their hands.

eh... no. maybe. If we never went into Iraq - and put out time into Afganistan - terrorism would be far less a probem. So while doing nothing isn't good - there are certain things we can do which make the problem worse.

Including suggesting that this is the summer that they get us.... if someone saying 'terror spectacular' makes the government work harder to protect us - we have issues. They should be doing their best to begin with. All the announcement of a 'terror spectacular' does is make us scared - which works into their hands.

the terrorists dont want us scared, they want us dead.

All the announcement of a 'terror spectacular' does is make us scared

Uhhhmmm, I'm not scared sally.

I don't think your ilk was saying this after 9/11, you were pissed we didn't do more, now you're mad we are doing more? foktard right there folks.

I don't think your ilk was saying this after 9/11, you were pissed we didn't do more, now you're mad we are doing more? foktard right there folks.

Explain "more" and I dont mean the threat rainbow.

me either, Karen.

So why make a big deal of the 'terror spectacular'? Silly term 'terror spectacular' like Rip Taylor is going to dust us with anthrax and confetti

as for 'me' being mad that we're doing more... is the more you are talking about 'Iraq'?

me either, Karen.

So why make a big deal of the 'terror spectacular'? Silly term 'terror spectacular' like Rip Taylor is going to dust us with anthrax and confetti as for 'me' being mad that we're doing more... is the more you are talking about 'Iraq'?

:D Thats so Fin funny

Edited by whomper

eh... no. maybe. If we never went into Iraq - and put out time into Afganistan - terrorism would be far less a probem.

You have an extremely short memory if you think that the Iraq invasion has changed the minds of these idiots. They didn't hate us any less before 2003. If we had put more resources into Afghanistan, they would've simply relocated to Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Somalia, or any of the other terrorist havens in the Middle East.

After 9/11 and the "other" WTC bombing that people have seem to forgotten, we have plenty to be concerned about. That said, I'm not altering my plans tomorrow because of the threats of some murderous thugs pretending to be working on behalf of God.

So are their less or more terrorists since we invaded and bungled iraq ? ...if you say less , I am sorry if I laugh a little bit

There are probably about the same number, given that they've been bombing our embassies and ships overseas long before that. How many major terrorist attacks have occurred on U.S. soil since the Iraq invasion? More or less than in the four years prior to the invasion?

You have an extremely short memory if you think that the Iraq invasion has changed the minds of these idiots. They didn't hate us any less before 2003. If we had put more resources into Afghanistan, they would've simply relocated to Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Somalia, or any of the other terrorist havens in the Middle East.

After 9/11 and the "other" WTC bombing that people have seem to forgotten, we have plenty to be concerned about. That said, I'm not altering my plans tomorrow because of the threats of some murderous thugs pretending to be working on behalf of God.

These idiots? I think that there are many people who aren't idiots who were negatively affected by the war who didn't exactly see things from Bill Swerski's perspective and wanted to somehow take control of their lives and strike back. I can see how many might have been disillusion about the government we set up for them, the security we provided and our rebuilding efforts.

Neato that you have the omniscience to tell me what the terrorists (many who were likely pharmasists, ditch diggers and chefs before we invaded and occupied) would have done if we had not invaded Iraq. You need to work for the state department.

There are probably about the same number, given that they've been bombing our embassies and ships overseas long before that. How many major terrorist attacks have occurred on U.S. soil since the Iraq invasion? More or less than in the four years prior to the invasion?

um... no.

Reports from the CIA, the U.S. State Department, the FBI, and the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, as well as the investigations of foreign intelligence agencies found no evidence of an operational connection between the ties between Saddam and al-Qaeda.

On the contrary, a consensus has developed among intelligence experts that the Iraq war has increased terrorism. Counterterrorism expert Rohan Gunaratna frequently refers to the invasion of Iraq as a "fatal mistake." London's conservative International Institute for Strategic Studies concluded in 2004 that the occupation of Iraq had become "a potent global recruitment pretext" for jihadists and that the invasion "galvanised" al-Qaeda and "perversely inspired insurgent violence" there."

The U.S. National Intelligence Council concluded in a January 2005 report that the war in Iraq had become a breeding ground for a new generation of terrorists; David B. Low, the national intelligence officer for transnational threats, indicated that the report concluded that the war in Iraq provided terrorists with "a training ground, a recruitment ground, the opportunity for enhancing technical skills... There is even, under the best scenario, over time, the likelihood that some of the jihadists who are not killed there will, in a sense, go home, wherever home is, and will therefore disperse to various other countries." The Council's Chairman Robert L. Hutchings said, "At the moment, Iraq is a magnet for international terrorist activity." And the 2006 National Intelligence Estimate, which outlined the considered judgment of all 16 U.S. intelligence agencies, held that "The Iraq conflict has become the 'cause celebre' for jihadists, breeding a deep resentment of US involvement in the Muslim world and cultivating supporters for the global jihadist movement."

Al-Qaeda leaders have seen the Iraq war as a boon to their recruiting and operational efforts, providing evidence to jihadists worldwide that America is at war with Islam, and the training ground for a new generation of jihadists to practice attacks on American forces. In October 2003, Osama bin Laden announced: "Be glad of the good news: America is mired in the swamps of the Tigris and Euphrates. Bush is, through Iraq and its oil, easy prey. Here is he now, thank God, in an embarrassing situation and here is America today being ruined before the eyes of the whole world."

Al-Qaeda commander Seif al-Adl gloated about the war in Iraq, indicating, "The Americans took the bait and fell into our trap." A letter thought to be from al-Qaeda leader Atiyah Abd al-Rahman found in Iraq among the rubble where al-Zarqawi was killed and released by the U.S. military in October 2006, indicated that al-Qaeda perceived the war as beneficial to its goals: "The most important thing is that the jihad continues with steadfastness ... indeed, prolonging the war is in our interest."

Edited by Duchess Jack