[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another lame law that most reaturants break

detlef

The fun police have taken over way too many aspects of our lives. I look at the crap I used to do when I was 18-25 and wonder how I've never been incarcerated once , let alone 20 times.

Oh don't worry. We're watching you. :D

:D :sortofajoke:

Congratulations. You have just edged out keggerz as the whiniest business owner in America.

Then these guys who appear to have jihad against any normal minded person who has had fun = :eatit :tup: bigdummy:

This is very messed up, D.

What kind of rules does a regular bar have to follow down there? Are they not allowed to serve food after a certain time? If a customer can go to a bar and get food and / or drink any time during their operating hours, (I'm not comparing your resturant to bar food--just using a bar as a hypothetical case) then this seems like a very unfair law that puts you at a competetive dissadvantage.

Like you said, this situation only comes up about once a month, so while it's frustrating as hell, it's probably not hurting your customer base too much.

FIGHT THE SYSTEM BROTHER!! :D

Comping drinks is against the law as well. In fact, I'm not allowed to offer happy hour specials. You can have a special for the day, but whatever you sell it has to be the same price all day to everyone.

So, that reminds me. In regards to the spilled drink issue. Technically, it might also be against the law to give a customer a free drink if they spilled the first one.

Southerner lawmakers... :D

Exactly how hard would it be for you to explain to the customer that the law prevents you from getting them a drink?

Apparently, very.

I deal with compliance issues very rarely - but when an establishment doesn't have their liquor license on premise, I am legally not allowed to deliver. Which mean that some lame LAW that the CUSTOMER is not complying with is MY fault. No matter how much I explain it - "it's state law, call you state rep and yell at him about it."

People are stupid, wieg.

When stupid laws like this appear, especially when there's a whole load of them, it's usually the legacy of knee jerk legislation. Some incident happens, lots of newspaper coverage, public (actually, the media) demand action, bad law goes on the books. Then the Law of Unintended Consequences kicks in.

Exactly how hard would it be for you to explain to the customer that the law prevents you from getting them a drink?

Well, in truth, most people would be cool about it. Of course, I don't make my living serving "most" people, I make my living serving everyone. In reality, it doesn't much matter because it is a law that is largely ignored by many restaurants.

However, that is not the point. It could be state law that you have to do the funky chicken upon entering my restaurant and I could simply explain to my customers that their beef should not be with me, but I'm still the guy who's telling them they have to make an ass of themselves as they enter my restaurant.

It is just a stupid law with no good reason to exist and it puts me in a situation where I either need to refuse service to someone who simply wants a glass of wine after the kitchen is closed or, like the vast majority of restaurants, break the law and hope for the best.

This is very messed up, D.

What kind of rules does a regular bar have to follow down there? Are they not allowed to serve food after a certain time? If a customer can go to a bar and get food and / or drink any time during their operating hours, (I'm not comparing your resturant to bar food--just using a bar as a hypothetical case) then this seems like a very unfair law that puts you at a competetive dissadvantage.

Like you said, this situation only comes up about once a month, so while it's frustrating as hell, it's probably not hurting your customer base too much.

FIGHT THE SYSTEM BROTHER!! :D

Well, there really aren't many "bars" in NC. That is ultimately the point of the law, they don't want bars. In order to serve liquor without selling enough food to be a legit restaurant, you need to basically be a private club and are very restricted in terms of where you can be located. The private club bit is not too hard because the the membership fee can be quite small.

As I mentioned before, that is why I can't sell booze if my kitchen is closed, to prevent someone from getting around the bar law by opening a "restaurant" who's kitchen just happens to be always closed. However, there would seem to be someway other than how they currently do it to avoid this.

True but people like to kill the messenger..

The last bastion of fun seems to be down here in Ft. Liquordale land. Tons so specials (ladies night, happy hour, all day 3-4-1, "in the biz", etc.). When I moved down here from No.Va. I was pleasantly shocked at how easy it is to get drunk pretty much whenever I want. They sell booze until 2am down her every day. The only restriction is no liquor until noon on sundays and at the restaraunt, Shooters (you Clevelanders might know of this place), they had a Sunday brunch that came with a complimentary Mimosa or Bloody Mary. $hit, theres times when the give liquor away for free. Bartenders Bash. It happens end of season (May something) every year in Isla Morada (the Keys). Its essentially a hugh "in the biz" fest. Liquor reps with hot girls giving away all kinds of liquor. The best time I had there was on the "Sand Bar". About a mile off the shore in the gulf theres this sandbar thats about a foot or two above sea level during low tide. You ride out to this sandbar on a boat and the liquor reps have thier own yachts with bars on them. You basically party until yer knee deep in water. One of my fondest memories.

Edited by DemonKnight

detlef, you live in a f'ed up state.

Getting worse all over. Most of these laws are dreamed up by the "don't drink, don't smoke, don't have sex except twice a year in the missionary position with the lights off, go to church on Sunday" brigade. They don't have any fun themselves and want to make damn sure other people don't too.

Getting worse all over. Most of these laws are dreamed up by the "don't drink, don't smoke, don't have sex except twice a year in the missionary position with the lights off, go to church on Sunday" brigade. They don't have any fun themselves and want to make damn sure other people don't too.

The worst part is that all the data is on their side. I mean, there are no studies that show that if people drink less, bad things happen. So, somebody gets it in their head that more restrictions need to made on this type of thing and the only people who fight it on a legislative level are the lobbies for booze and hospitality.

John and Jane Doe have no idea this is going down unless somebody brings it to their attention, which is rare. They don't find out until the next time they show up at a restaurant 20 minutes early and ask if it's OK to just chill and have a beer until they open.

We just had a really lame law overturned in 05 and it was insane how hard it was to do so. There was a cap on the alcohol level of beers at 6%. You could buy MD 20/20, Thunderbird, fortified juice based drinks, etc. pretty much anywhere, so it's not like you couldn't get drunk on the cheap. The people who were basically being denied their drink were beer geeks who wanted rather expensive barley wines and belgian ales. I mean, what's the point of that? Let the freaking hop heads have their $8 ale. None the less, the bible thumpers want more restrictions, not less, the state reps don't want to side with booze, and there's just not enough people who really care about micro brews and esoteric imported beers for the thing to just fly through congress. Fortunately it passed and amazingly, the state hasn't gone to hell in a handbasket...yet.