[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anybody hate......

Ursa Majoris

.....programs that are constantly trying to update themselves or check in with a server even after you've closed the damn program? Adobe is one, RealPlayer is another, AOL is yet a third. Keep having to go into Task Manager / Processes and kill the sumbiatch update programs they leave behind. :D:D

I'm not certain of this but I suspect that if you go into the program settings you may be able to disable that option to check for updates. I know that every time that I open Adobe it wants to check for an update. I am going to play with it right now and see if I can shut that thing off.

{edit to add this}

Just as I suspected the option to put the program on manual update is there with Adobe. Under the Edit | Preferences | Update there is a choice to make it weekly, monthly, or manual. :D

Edited by Skippy

I'm not certain of this but I suspect that if you go into the program settings you may be able to disable that option to check for updates. I know that every time that I open Adobe it wants to check for an update. I am going to play with it right now and see if I can shut that thing off.

{edit to add this}

Just as I suspected the option to put the program on manual update is there with Adobe. Under the Edit | Preferences | Update there is a choice to make it weekly, monthly, or manual. :D

Cool. Going to try this now.

Damned if I can see it. No Update option under Edit / Preferences even though I've clicked on every one of the headings on the left.

One of the worst I ever installed was two weeks ago, was Kodak's Instashare (or something list that). It is software to help download my wife's Kodak camera pics into albums. It took 20 minutes to install, and everytime I boot up it tries to connect to the internet for 'updates'. I looked all over for a switch to uninstall, but no luck. Why do they not design a switch to uncheck to turn off the update preference???? They think their package is so important that it must be updated constantly? Maybe I shouldve checked the credits to see if it was designed by the FBI, the CIA, or George W.

The interface is also so user-unfriendly, that I got frustrated even before showing anyone else how to work it.

I finally uninstalled (taking 20 minutes again, and will find another package to help interface with my wife's camera. Ok, I took my valium, I am finished my rant.

Edited by Joessfl

I finally uninstalled (taking 20 minutes again, and will find another package to help interface with my wife's camera. Ok, I took my valium, I am finished my rant.

Many digital cameras will work just fine in XP, just plug it in, PC will see it as a removable harddrive.

If you bought a kodak digital camera? Well that was just stupid of you wasn't it?

Many digital cameras will work just fine in XP, just plug it in, PC will see it as a removable harddrive.

If you bought a kodak digital camera? Well that was just stupid of you wasn't it?

Yeah, I thought about that after I starting using their software. So, that is my solution for now.

By the way...Stupid because I bought the camera? I resent that, well maybe I am a wee bit uninformed. I like the camera, its the software I had no idea would be the sorespot. I forget what model, but for our menial family photo needs, it works great, and pics look great when printed. hey, wait...why am I justifying my position...Was it the George W statement that brought you into namecalling? :D

If your in a windows 2k, XP machine: Start -> Run -> msconfig -> startup tab. Uncheck all things you don't find necessary at computer startup. If you dont feel comfortable with the name of something...google it to see if its safe not to run at startup. Almost everything is though. Should cut back the updates on ya. Until you run the programs of course, then theyll just start prompting ya again possibly. :D

If your in a windows 2k, XP machine: Start -> Run -> msconfig -> startup tab. Uncheck all things you don't find necessary at computer startup. If you dont feel comfortable with the name of something...google it to see if its safe not to run at startup. Almost everything is though. Should cut back the updates on ya. Until you run the programs of course, then theyll just start prompting ya again possibly. :D

and I have found this website: http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

to be very useful in determining if a program needs to run at start-up or not

One of the worst I ever installed was two weeks ago, was Kodak's Instashare (or something list that). It is software to help download my wife's Kodak camera pics into albums. It took 20 minutes to install, and everytime I boot up it tries to connect to the internet for 'updates'. I looked all over for a switch to uninstall, but no luck. Why do they not design a switch to uncheck to turn off the update preference???? They think their package is so important that it must be updated constantly? Maybe I shouldve checked the credits to see if it was designed by the FBI, the CIA, or George W.

The interface is also so user-unfriendly, that I got frustrated even before showing anyone else how to work it.

EasyShare... and not only did it boot up and try to connect, but it used to take up massive amounts of memory while doing it.

My Kodak camera works great. Never had a problem until I dropped it. Then a little duct tape fixed it up.

Ha, that remindes me, I just had a hell of a time trying to get AOL and Real Player off my SO's comp. I'm not 100% sure if I got all of AOL, but I don't see anything in the startup.. Actually Real Player wasn't bad, it was AOL that sucked.

I also found out she had the option checked to download but not install XP updates, so she had never actually installed a single update since she got the comp two-three years ago. Never paid attention to the icon on her taskbar...

LOL, had some cheapo bundle version of Mcafee running along with the Dell and AOL "security" suites. LMAO. Got rid of and/or turned all that crap off.

Installed Zone Alarm ISS and found 20-something viruses, and over 100 spyware/adware.

Adaware SE found another 60 spyware.

Spybot another 50 or so.

Ha, that remindes me, I just had a hell of a time trying to get AOL and Real Player off my SO's comp. I'm not 100% sure if I got all of AOL, but I don't see anything in the startup.. Actually Real Player wasn't bad, it was AOL that sucked.

I also found out she had the option checked to download but not install XP updates, so she had never actually installed a single update since she got the comp two-three years ago. Never paid attention to the icon on her taskbar...

LOL, had some cheapo bundle version of Mcafee running along with the Dell and AOL "security" suites. LMAO. Got rid of and/or turned all that crap off.

Installed Zone Alarm ISS and found 20-something viruses, and over 100 spyware/adware.

Adaware SE found another 60 spyware.

Spybot another 50 or so.

Kill that computer and start over.

You are the one sending me spam.

Buying a kodak camera is like getting a tranny for a prostutite. There are much better options for similar money.

Thanks?

Edited by Joessfl