[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drano :

isleseeya

Heard for years that drano is supposed to be really bad for your pipes ...not sure if anyone used the stuff and has first hand experience that it damages them

Had a clogges sink in my upstairs bathroom..wife bought super strength drano gel ..figured let me try it which I did this Am ...in 15 minutes , sink is clear and water going down faster than Bush's approval rating ...so I gotta believe this stuff works really well

Hope no long term damage to my pipes though

Heard for years that drano is supposed to be really bad for your pipes ...not sure if anyone used the stuff and has first hand experience that it damages them

Had a clogges sink in my upstairs bathroom..wife bought super strength drano gel ..figured let me try it which I did this Am ...in 15 minutes , sink is clear and water going down faster than Bush's approval rating ...so I gotta believe this stuff works really well

Ive used it several times before, usually working each time. I think it is ok to use every now and again, but if you use it every day it is probably bad. :D Try drinking it. Maybe they mean its bad for THOSE pipes. :D

We started using an enzymatic cleaner (I think it's called Bio Clean) at the suggestion of a friend. It won't unclog a stopped up pipe but will keep stuff from accumulating over time.

Our house has this lame set where the washer/dryer is pretty near the kitchen sink, so you've got the handy combination of lint from the washer mixing with grease from the sink and making a nice paste. On top of that, when the washer backs up, you're talking about gallons and gallons of water in an area that's freaking hard to clean up.

So far so good, then again, it is summer so grease doesn't build up as badly as when it's colder.

Ask the Mythbusters.

We started using an enzymatic cleaner (I think it's called Bio Clean) at the suggestion of a friend. It won't unclog a stopped up pipe but will keep stuff from accumulating over time.

Our house has this lame set where the washer/dryer is pretty near the kitchen sink, so you've got the handy combination of lint from the washer mixing with grease from the sink and making a nice paste. On top of that, when the washer backs up, you're talking about gallons and gallons of water in an area that's freaking hard to clean up.

So far so good, then again, it is summer so grease doesn't build up as badly as when it's colder.

This is good info ..I may have to look this stuff up ..thanks

Ask the Mythbusters.

Mythbusters is entertainment, not science. Those guys couldn't pick the scientific method out of a lineup that included a tube of hemmoroid cream and a unicycle.

Drano, depending on the formulation, has several actives. Usually, caustic soda (aka lye, sodium hydroxide, NaOH) does much of the heavy lifting by attacking fats and cellulose (hairs, etc) that cause clogs. NaOH hydrolizes these materials into new, more water-soluble materials. Sometimes there is bleach (aka sodium hypochlorite, NaOCl), which is a strong oxidizer. It chemically attacks the materials in the clog, as well. There can also be thickeners (to hold the actives against the clog materials) and surfactants (to help solublize the clog).

PVC and copper are pretty resistant to these chemicals, especially in short exposures (using Drano when you have a clog). These chemicals are hardest on galvanized piping, but if you still have galvanized drain pipes, you've likely got such a thick buildup of gunk in your pipes that the galvanized will never contact the Drano.

Heard for years that drano is supposed to be really bad for your pipes
It's not really bad if used in moderation. But most drain cleaners contain some form of an acid or base which if left in contact with the pipes may corrode or otherwise eat away at the pipe. They also can cause chemical burns if they come into prolonged contact with your skin.

A few years ago I tried to clear a clog with Drano and it didn't do crap, so I used Red Devil Lye, straight up. Problem solved. I've never used anything else since. Am I hurting my pipes (I don't use it more than once a year or so)?

I have replaced many a pipes of people who say they just used drano or something similiar. It may be because they misused it or it may be because the gunk in the pipe was the only thing holding the water in. I always recommend snaking the line out. Also, if you use a chemical and it does not solve the problem and you must call a plumber, PLEASE let him know what you used. I try to remember to ask but have forgotten.

Mythbusters is entertainment, not science. Those guys couldn't pick the scientific method out of a lineup that included a tube of hemmoroid cream and a unicycle.

Whatever, yer just jealous. Adam and Jamie are the roxorz mad scientists.

Seriously though, they are set designers, what do you expect. I think they do a pretty good job at conclusively proving or disproving a very diverse range of "myths". Things I have learned: Dont run in the rain, it gets you wetter. Do tailgate Tractor Trailers when doing 55 on the highway as it will save you 20% gas mileage. Do use a 12 gauage deer slug when shooting a lock off a door. :D

I have replaced many a pipes of people who say they just used drano or something similiar. It may be because they misused it or it may be because the gunk in the pipe was the only thing holding the water in. I always recommend snaking the line out. Also, if you use a chemical and it does not solve the problem and you must call a plumber, PLEASE let him know what you used. I try to remember to ask but have forgotten.

well, i think your cause and effect is a little backwards here. for example, just this week i had some guys out to replace a 4' section of my kitchen sink line (50 year old house) that had corroded so badly there were holes on the top of the pipe that dirt was coming in and clogging the line. the line has always drained, but it was a bit slow. of course, before i spent a grand to have them jackhammer my basement floor and replace the pipe, i tried drano a few times. obviously, drano didn't CAUSE the problem, it's just the first thing you try when you HAVE a problem.

well, i think your cause and effect is a little backwards here. for example, just this week i had some guys out to replace a 4' section of my kitchen sink line (50 year old house) that had corroded so badly there were holes on the top of the pipe that dirt was coming in and clogging the line. the line has always drained, but it was a bit slow. of course, before i spent a grand to have them jackhammer my basement floor and replace the pipe, i tried drano a few times. obviously, drano didn't CAUSE the problem, it's just the first thing you try when you HAVE a problem.

I have seen cases where gunk has lined the inside of the pipe. There was still a large enough hole for water to drain slow. Once the drano and even a snake were used the corroded pipe exposed the holes that were already there. I guess what I am trying to say is it can work both ways. If used improperly the drano can eat a hole in the pipe. If used correctly it will clean the pipe of the grud but may expose the correded pipe and thus it will leak. Of course by snaking it the leak would show up as well. Does this make any sense or am I just rambling?