[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction vs Draft...........have you played both?

Never done a auction and after 7 years of having a drafting league I am thinking of switching as it seems no matter what the 9th and 10th picks (at least in our league) do consistently poorly. Has anyone made the switch and if so what are the advantages and disadvantages? Also any advise for a newbie as I will be joining at least one auction this year for the EXP and have no clue if there are any strategies as of yet? Thanks all for your advise and may the swartz be with you!

I have a work league that has a couple of chicks in it who aren't real football savvy and they were the most apprehensive when we made the switch. None of us had ever done an auction which made everyone feel better and it took about 3 picks into the first auction when they all said how much fun they were having.

Auction all the way. I'm in one and if I could I'd do my other two auction as well. By far the most "fair" format while at the same time really rewarding those that do their homework and have a solid strategy they execute. I suggest a "practice" one a week before the actual draft - you learn a TON from the first one and having everyone get a mulligan will be very beneficial - especially if you are going to have any keeper component.

? Almost all if not all people who use auction drafts have used "snake" drafts. Most prefer auctions. I'm amazed most aren't auctions now. Anyway -

My "advise" is read the "why auction" classic if you have a hard time convincing people:

http://www.thehuddle.com/classics/02auction.php

As for auction strat in general this is also a good one, if a bit busy (for newbies at least):

http://www.thehuddle.com/classics/04_auction_budget.php

I am in an auction league an a snake draft league. Like most people that have tried an auction, I prefer that format over regular snake-drafting.

However, my snake draft league had a vote this year on whether or not to switch to an auction and I voted against it. I want be in at least one snake-draft league so I have an excuse to do mock drafts over the summer. :D

My biggest advice for an auction is to create a budget and try to stick to it. Don't be afraid to overpay a little for a couple of studs, but once you have some studs, hold off and look for value. Also, nominate players early on that you don't want to bid on so that the other teams start spending their money. I believe you can get average auction values at fantasyauctioneer.com. Those are a great tool.

I have a work league that has a couple of chicks in it who aren't real football savvy and they were the most apprehensive when we made the switch. None of us had ever done an auction which made everyone feel better and it took about 3 picks into the first auction when they all said how much fun they were having.

This gives me an idea. :D

Instead of using money we use articles of clothing that we're wearing...

While I will always play in draft leagues and they are fun, I do enjoy the auction format much more for the reasons I mentioned in that article. I converted my old local to auction after about 11 years and they all love it. And they are for the most part very casual players with only that one league that they play. It's just a superior way to get players on rosters that is the most fair and fun. There's nothing in a regular draft to compare with watching two homers go nuts over one over-hyped player from the local NFL team. Trust me - there's a whole lot more laughter going on in an auction than in a draft. And it is not any longer to do as long as you have reasonable time limits between bids and awards.

I used snake drafts when I was learning about fantasy football. Once I wanted to really start playing fantasy football, I changed to auctions. There's really no comparison.

People who are new or don't know much about football find a snake draft easier because they can just pick from a cheat sheet. But all experienced players should be in an auction format. Why play in a league where the players you get are dictated by your draft position? Use an auction, and get who you want. And the better players will do more homework and get better deals in the auction.

There's nothing in a regular draft to compare with watching two homers go nuts over one over-hyped player from the local NFL team. Trust me - there's a whole lot more laughter going on in an auction than in a draft.

Yeah...in a regular draft you miss out on some priceless moments like this one that happened in our auction last year....

New owner stands up and says with authority "I nominate Carson Palmer.....40 bucks (out of 100)"..............<stifled laughter>.............<crickets>.........<crickets>........SOLD!!

Yeah...in a regular draft you miss out on some priceless moments like this one that happened in our auction last year....

New owner stands up and says with authority "I nominate Carson Palmer.....40 bucks (out of 100)"..............<stifled laughter>.............<crickets>.........<crickets>........SOLD!!

LOL yea I have a feeling that a practice draft is almost a mandatory, how long do auctions last?

LOL yea I have a feeling that a practice draft is almost a mandatory, how long do auctions last?

shouldn't talk any longer than a normal draft unless people spend too much time laughing at each other. Should schedule a break or two during the auction though for 10 minutes or so.

Ours didn't take any longer than a regular draft...about 2-3 hours. We used the following format:

We went in a circle nominating players. The owner that nominates the player conducts the auction for that player. He needs to end each auction with going once..twice...sold...and has final say on who won the bid. We also had a projector displaying an Excel spreadsheet that showed everyone's roster and how much money they still had (not a necessity, but it was nice). The process worked smoothly with no real hiccups.

We also had a projector displaying an Excel spreadsheet that showed everyone's roster and how much money they still had (not a necessity, but it was nice).

Nice idea for everyone but I was thinking of making my own sheet as I went along to see who was where to have an advantage some of my lazy arse friends :D

So with a mock draft and real draft it would take about 4 to 5 hours most likely

I used snake drafts when I was learning about fantasy football. Once I wanted to really start playing fantasy football, I changed to auctions. There's really no comparison.

People who are new or don't know much about football find a snake draft easier because they can just pick from a cheat sheet. But all experienced players should be in an auction format. Why play in a league where the players you get are dictated by your draft position? Use an auction, and get who you want. And the better players will do more homework and get better deals in the auction.

Sorry but while I much prefer auctions and not saying you're totally off base, this whole "snake drafts are for newbies, auction is for serious vet FFers" mentality is BS. Drafting well in a snake draft takes FF smarts too.

Sorry but while I much prefer auctions and not saying you're totally off base, this whole "snake drafts are for newbies, auction is for serious vet FFers" mentality is BS. Drafting well in a snake draft takes FF smarts too.

I've played in both and that's my opinion. Have you played in both types? If so, why would you choose a snake draft over an auction if you know anything about football? Don't you want to be able to do your homework and get the players you want? Redraft's ok for a free Yahoo league I guess, but why would you put money into a league and not be able to get who you want?

:D Where did I say I prefer snake drafts over auctions?

whatever

Thanks for your insightful comment.

You said that snake drafts weren't just for newbs. I asked you why an experienced player would choose a snake draft over an auciton. You responded with an emoticon. Thanks for coming out.

I've played in both and that's my opinion. Have you played in both types? If so, why would you choose a snake draft over an auction if you know anything about football? Don't you want to be able to do your homework and get the players you want? Redraft's ok for a free Yahoo league I guess, but why would you put money into a league and not be able to get who you want?

This is ridiculous. There's a place and preference for both. I'm in leagues that auction and snake draft and to be honest, sometimes the auction gets a little boring if not kept rolling. There are strategies and head games to be played with both formats and I like them both. By the way, what does knowing anything about the game of football have to do with a snake or auction draft? I've seen people almost ignorant about football do fairly well drafting in both formats. One happens to be my wife.

By the way, what does knowing anything about the game of football have to do with a snake or auction draft? I've seen people almost ignorant about football do fairly well drafting in both formats. One happens to be my wife.

I agree. While I do think that there is a little more room in an auction for those who actually know their stuff to get better value, people who know very little can still do well. We had an owner in one of my auction leagues last year who was not only new to fantasy football, but he couldn't even name who won the Superbowl the year before. Anyways, he got a hold of some average auction values off the internet and drafted a very competetive team.

Snake drafts are fun; auctions are much more fun. That's my experience and the vibe I get from most FF players who have done both. The only exception is on-line drafts, where IMO snake drafts are better (the jazz you get from a live auction is lost).

I've heard of plenty of leagues switching from snake to auction format, but I've never heard of one that went the other way. That ought to tell you something.