[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bridge Collapse

BillyBalata

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is horrific, are all our Huddler brethryn accounted for?

yes...

Cool, This is some scarey Sega!.

Curiousity got to me so on my lunch break I went over to see everything...the closest you can get is the University bridge over 35W which is right before 35 collapsed...its the most destruction I have seen in person in my lifetime...the area has been almost completely sealed off as far as seeing into the wreakage...which is probably a good thing since they are going to be doing recovery for the next few days... :D

That more confirms what I said before. Unlike the adjacent bridges, this was not a true arch, but a cantilevered deck truss, which had only 2 main girder lines. It was definitely fracture critical, where any failed tension girder (like those on the bottom) would cascade to the rest of the bridge causing it to collapse, and a fatigue crack would caise it.

That more confirms what I said before. Unlike the adjacent bridges, this was not a true arch, but a cantilevered deck truss, which had only 2 main girder lines. It was definitely fracture critical, where any failed tension girder (like those on the bottom) would cascade to the rest of the bridge causing it to collapse, and a fatigue crack would caise it.

I heard last night on the news that this bridge is a non-redundant system or something which basically means that if one main part failed there were no other systems to back it up and the bridge would collapse...

I heard last night on the news that this bridge is a non-redundant system or something which basically means that if one main part failed there were no other systems to back it up and the bridge would collapse...

Correct.

probably not the best way to build a bridge carrying a main freeway in a major city then...

Most bridges are not built that way anymore due to its lack of redunincy, and I was surprised a freeway bridge built in 1967 was like that, since most bridges built what way were built before 1950.

The nearby bridges don't have the reduncy either, but since they are true arches, they dont have the tension members which are prone to causing bridge failure.

From the Chiefs(KCChiefs.com)

Breakdown: It was a somber day in River Falls as the entire Upper Mississippi River region felt the impact left behind by yesterday’s tragic I-35 bridge collapse in Minneapolis. Located only 25 miles southeast of the Twin Cities, many River Falls residents work in or visit that area frequently.

The victims of the disaster were just average commuters making a routine rush-hour drive across a heavily traveled Minneapolis bridge. As annual visitors to the area, many Chiefs players, coaches, staff members and fans have ventured through that portion of downtown at one point or another. With the Royals in town to play the Twins and Chiefs training camp running full-throttle in River Falls, there is a definite Kansas City presence in the area.

“On behalf of the organization and me personally, our thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved in the incident [bridge collapse] in Minnesota,” Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards told media members. “It’s kind of ironic that I was involved in one earlier [9/11] tragedy in my career as a coach in New York. I know what those people are feeling. Unless you’re in the city where it actually happens you can’t understand how tough that is for people to deal with. We dealt with 9/11 in New York and it’s tough.”