[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bridge Collapse

BillyBalata

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the bridge I travel across EVERYDAY to get to work...its about 2 miles from my office..

this is crazy

It sure is. Infrastructure in this country needs a lot of work. I hope everyone is OK.

This is frickin' ridiculous. I drive on the Alaskan Way Viaduct in Seattle everyday and think about something like this occurring every commute. Thoughts with those surviving and the loved ones of those who perished.

Fifty cars in the river. Thirty+ workers on the bridge when it collapsed. The fall at its highest point would have been 200+ feet. The depth of the river, which is very shallow due to drought, is almost irrelevant as the force of the drop would have been devastating. Let's pray for everybody involved.

Edited by General Itals

Someone did a report not too long ago that I saw on tv where our highways and bridges in this country are in sad shape overall. They also said it would take billions to repair those structures that were in the most need.

Pretty scary stuff. My heart breaks for all those people looking for the families right about now.

I had just crossed the bridge one half hour before it collapsed. I had my two daughters and my neighbor's two daughters in the car with me. I'm too stunned to be shaken at this point. It doesn't look good. They are reporting that a Homeland Security vehicle is on site.

I had just crossed the bridge one half hour before it collapsed. I had my two daughters and my neighbor's two daughters in the car with me. I'm too stunned to be shaken at this point. It doesn't look good. They are reporting that a Homeland Security vehicle is on site.

And FBI..It sounds like it was strutural failure. On the news, they just stated that it was inspected last year (may 2006) and fatigue cracks were found in the girders.

:D You'll probably need a few of these about now.

Glad you and your loved one are ok. :D

Someone did a report not too long ago that I saw on tv where our highways and bridges in this country are in sad shape overall. They also said it would take billions to repair those structures that were in the most need.

Pretty scary stuff. My heart breaks for all those people looking for the families right about now.

Yep.

And politics make the highway funds steer towards new roads and bridges rather than upkeep of what is there now, as the new projects are more "sexy" to the constituates.

Of what I saw so far, the repair work going on was non structural in nature. I saw the structural components as a cantilever truss, which could be "fracture critical", but I can't tell of the limited photos I saw of it. On fracture critical, if a single "tension member" fails, the whole bridge can quickly collapse, and the multiple steel beams could fail iin several ways.

And FBI..It sounds like it was strutural failure. On the news, they just stated that it was inspected last year (may 2006) and fatigue cracks were found in the girders.

Saw this after i just posted. Fatigue cracks are very serious and a structure like that needs close in-depth inspections of those. Any significant signs of those call for immediate structural rehabilitation, precautionary weight restrictions or even bridge closure.

whew, good to see you made it OK.