[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

STRATEGY GUIDANCE

Matrix

Need to pick the brains of the best Huddlers out there. 11 year league vet and this is the first time I am in the 12th spot. Very competitive guys, not too many drafting mistakes made and RB's fly off the board in the first two rounds. One key scoring factor is that we get 1 PPR for TE ONLY, so it makes the TE's with heavy receptions very valuable and usually the top 4-5 go in the first 3 rounds with Gates in the early 2nd. I would like some advice on strategy in the 12th spot.

My thoughts thus far have been RB1/RB 2 with guys like Henry/Bush/Brown/Maroney/Rudi/McGahee/Benson and then looking at WR1/TE in rounds 3/4; WR2/WR3 in 5/6 and then RB3/QB1 in 7/8.

Also could go RB1/WR1 and hope to land someone good in rounds 3/4 for RB2 and RB3. Use 5/6 to get WR2 and TE hoping Davis is there. Then 7/8 could be QB1 (Rivers) and then maybe WR3 or best available RB3.

Please respond with some thoughts on these ideas and your own personal strategy. **Just FYI, the guy who has drafted Manning in the first 15 picks has never won this league. I won’t go with Manning at 1.12 or 2.1 for sure, so don’t waste your time creating your strategy based on either of those picks.

Thanks!

Please respond with some thoughts on these ideas and your own personal strategy. **Just FYI, the guy who has drafted Manning in the first 15 picks has never won this league. I won’t go with Manning at 1.12 or 2.1 for sure, so don’t waste your time creating your strategy based on either of those picks.

Thanks!

Well there goes my main strategic idea for this year... :D

You have to be real flexible. If the first 11 all go RBs, I'd probably lean towards going RB/WR with the 1/2 and probably RB/WR again in the 3/4 unless some great value fell to me. I see you have some strategies suggesting going 3 RBs in the first 4.. can you start the 3rd RB or is that for depth purposes?

Well there goes my main strategic idea for this year... :D

You have to be real flexible. If the first 11 all go RBs, I'd probably lean toward going RB/WR with the 1/2 and probably RB/WR again in the 3/4 unless some great value fell to me. I see you have some strategies suggesting going 3 RBs in the first 4.. can you start the 3rd RB or is that for depth purposes?

I can start 3RB's if I want to. I have mocked a bunch and run Draft Dominator many times, simulating the owners preferences and have found that even going 4RB's is not a bad strategy and then trading out one of them for a high end WR1/WR2.

Personally I would go WR/WR/RB/RB .......or maybe WR/RB/WR/RB their is a good article on here about this particular thing. The thinking is why settle for the 12 and 13th best running backs when you can get the best WR's....it will close the gap alot faster than having the middle of the pack running backs and will also prevent the guys at the top of the draft from getting the some of the top WRs in to go along with LT, SJ, LJ and SA. Plus alot of the backs you can get during the middle rounds. An Ahman Green, Deuce McCallister, Julius Jones could easily be as good as Laurence Maroney.....or anyone else you would get at pick twelve

I'm not seasoned ... maybe I'll check back after I have been seasoned

G&S...here is some Emeril Essence...now you are seasoned. It's guys like you that I am looking to give me their expert advice. Come on bro, help me out.

I can start 3RB's if I want to. I have mocked a bunch and run Draft Dominator many times, simulating the owners preferences and have found that even going 4RB's is not a bad strategy and then trading out one of them for a high end WR1/WR2.

If you think you could start Henry/Rudi, that's a nice start....as is Henry/Rudi and Steve Smith. That'd be my preference in order. And then in your 3/4 or 5/6 piccks snag one of those stud TEs is they're difference makers in your scoring system. Gates will obviously go early, but many (m yself included) think that Vernon Davis could equal or top Gates this year...and based on that hype, he's climbing while guys like Heap/Winslow/Shockey are dropping a tad -- even Gonzo based on the terrible QB situation in KC -- so you might be able to land a stud TE in the right round.

Other guys who could surprise at TE:

Witten -- people have forgotten about him cause he was drafted highly last year and didn't pan out relative to that draft position, but Parcells didn't use him right, he had to block more to make up for OL injuries....but Wade Phillips should use him right, great chemistry with good buddy Romo, I see a big a comeback year there. Wil focus on being more of a red zone threat, and let's not forget he's had three 60-plus catch seasons.

Randy McMichael -- ditto....drafted highly in '06, tanked, pissed off owners, but now he's in STL in a great system for him, great offense

Owen Daniels -- 5 TDs in 34 catches. If he did relatively well with Carr, he'll only improve with Schaub.

Side note, just my 2¢ but don't ever draft thnking that you're going to trade. Owners are fickle and usually fear trading (thinking they're being screwed), so you can't count on getting a deal done just because you have a surplus at one position...and even if you do lure a trade partner, you can't count on getting the EXACT type of player (WR1) that you envisioned when you loaded up on RBs.