[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I completely boned this year? (Just had draft).

Bowled Over

Hey guys. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I just finished up my draft in a 12 team league with performance scoring except that passing yards count as much as rushing. We play 1 qb, TE, DEF, and K. We play 2 WR, and RB. and 1 Flex position RB/WR. I picked 11 out of 12, serpentine draft style.

11- Willie Parker

14- Tom Brady

35- Thomas Jones

38- Marshawn Lynch

59- Pats D

62- Donald Driver

83- Mark Clayton

86- Calvin Johnson

107- Leon Washington

110- Jerious Norwood

131- Kevin Curtis

134- Ben Watson

155- Jason Campbell

158- Greg Jennings

179- Rian Lindell

I like my QB and reasonably satisfied with my RB's. But my WR's suck. What do you think I could have done differently so that I can improve next year?

I like my QB and reasonably satisfied with my RB's. But my WR's suck. What do you think I could have done differently so that I can improve next year?

First off - where you screwed up was in the 2nd round. Drafting Brady with the 14th pick of the draft was a mistake of gargantuan proportions. As soon as you did that and then decided to go RB heavy at the top of the draft, there was no way you were going to get a stud WR. Then you compounded it by drafting a D in the 5th round. Why in the world would you draft Brady & a D so early - are you that much of a NE homer that it affects your FF judgment that badly?

That said, while your WRs don't have a huge name, you've got some very solid depth there. With the group you've got you ought to get some decent production - Driver could finish well into the top 10 WRs, either Johnson or Clayton could morph into a legit #2 FF WR, and Curtis has been looking good in the PHI O, plus there is no way Jennings should have been available to you in the next to last round.

BB covered it, but it bears reiterating. You blew it big time in the 2nd and 5th rounds but got a great brea kwith Thomas Jones falling to the end of the third. WRs are unspectacular but good be decent producers, RBs are decent, QB is fine thoug htaken way toe early.

If it is NFL.com scoring, the top defenses are worth quite a bit. The Ravens and Bears scored like top tier RBs last year. Adding Adalius Thomas to the Pats is making some think they will be very good this year, and if so this may not end up being a disaster. You already know it was reach, so instead of piling on, I'm just offering some optimism. If it's not a D-heavy league, then yes, that was definitely a wasted pick.

I don't understand the Brady pick -- how many QBs were taken before him?

Considering you had the 11th pick and the fact that you took a QB in the second round, I think you still ended up with very good RB and WR depth. You are going to need to hit paydirt on a couple of sleepers -- Norwood and Calvin Johnson most likely, and you need the Pats D to be dominant. And you need to be right about Brady, he has to have an MVP type year.

Donald Driver has scored like a top 5 receiver the last two years. I am not sure what your scoring system is but I like your starters. I agree you made a mistake picking a D and Brady that high, but you recovered somewhat in the later rounds. Best case scenario:

-Driver stays where he has been(I could always count on grabbing him late and letting him plug away).

-Clayton has a few decent games and you can use him on bye weeks and Johnson blows up.

-Johnson could easily play to a role of Issac Bruce (different styles, but statistically)in the beiggining of the Martz era in St Louis.

-Thomas Jones is going to be a monster this year. Somehow he managed to pile up 1000yd seasons in Chi and now he is headed to a team that pounds the ball. I am very high on him.

-Norwood could be huge, his style fits the scheme. But, Is Warrick Dunn going to hang around like he did last year? I thihk he does.

Trade Lynch and maybe Jennings to someone for a good TE and I think you can right wour ship.

Thank you for all your advice. I agree that my big mistakes were the second and fifth rounds; however, I'm not sure if Brady was as big of a bust as you think he is. In my league we give equal points for passing yards as receiving and rushing yards, and 6 pts for passing TD's. You CAN'T win in my league without a STUD QB. I've seen it happen year after year after year. Only once in the past ten years of our league has someone with a QB out of the top 4 won it all. So obviously QB's go really early in my league. Manning and Palmer were already gone, McNabb and Bulger went right after me.

In fact, not a single person drafted a WR in the first round. Honestly, I was banking on either Chad Johnson or Steve Smith coming back to me round 3 spot, (I was playing the league, not the numbers, and I just had a feeling that the other guys were going to be stupid). As it turned out Johnson got taken 3 picks before me, and Steve Smith RIGHT before me, so I sort of panicked. Thomas Jones was so good at that pick that I had to take him though.

Should I trade off some of my RB stock to improve at TE or WR? Now with Clayton hurt I'm nowhere near as willing to sit and do nothing.

P.S. I'm not a patriots fan at all, I root for the Niners :D . But I think the Pats are going to unstoppable this year with all the acquisitions they made.

Thank you for all your advice. I agree that my big mistakes were the second and fifth rounds; however, I'm not sure if Brady was as big of a bust as you think he is. In my league we give equal points for passing yards as receiving and rushing yards, and 6 pts for passing TD's. You CAN'T win in my league without a STUD QB. I've seen it happen year after year after year. Only once in the past ten years of our league has someone with a QB out of the top 4 won it all. So obviously QB's go really early in my league. Manning and Palmer were already gone, McNabb and Bulger went right after me.

Then why are you asking us? It sounds like you are happy with your choices. Live with what you drafted and good luck.