[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Water restrictions

detlef

If the normal water restriction was already at 3 days per week, and then the drought has caused them to now scale that back to just 1 day per week, then perhaps they need to plan better and build more infrastructure (water towers and accompanying equipment). That's a big part of what your local taxes should be going for anyway. I would be on the phone asking all of your local politicians why they haven't spent your money towards better planning regarding water usage.

Thats the big gripe around here now. Why do the commisioners keep rubber stamping rabid development, knowing full well we don't have the infrastructure to support it (roads and schools as well as water). They just don't (or won't) get it. Probably the developers have bought em all off...sigh.

Thats the big gripe around here now. Why do the commisioners keep rubber stamping rabid development, knowing full well we don't have the infrastructure to support it (roads and schools as well as water). They just don't (or won't) get it. Probably the developers have bought em all off...sigh.

yeah, they did this locally in a town called castle rock, where my folks bought a new place a couple years ago. they build all these new homes, schools and such, tapping some non-renewing aquifer for the water. then they realize it will be empty in 5-10 years. oops. now all the new homes have some $10K "water exploration fee" tacked on. my folks have this tiny little yard, mine on the other hand is 12,000 sq ft -- but their water bills are like 3 times more than mine.

Welcome to Wake County, where everyone wants it all, but doesn't want to pay for it. :D

here in western sconny they have put a big halt on that and they charge developers for infrastructure.... it has slowed growth a bit and i like that

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

You should move to New Jersey. It hasn't friggin stopped raining here for over a week. Half my garden is ruined due to torrential downpours. My tomatoes all cracked, my hot pepper plants are uprooted, my pea vines all drowned.

Why does god do this to us??

here in western sconny they have put a big halt on that and were and do charge developers for infrastructure.... it has slowed growth a bit and i like that

That seems to be a fine way to go. I lived in Santa Cruz where they fight all development tooth and nail and that sucks just as much as things going crazy. Just charge those who stand to profit enough that the market takes care of itself. I mean, it's not a tax so much as it just makes the developers, rather than the people who already live there shoulder the cost of the additional impact on the infrastructure.

That seems to be a fine way to go. I lived in Santa Cruz where they fight all development tooth and nail and that sucks just as much as things going crazy. Just charge those who stand to profit enough that the market takes care of itself. I mean, it's not a tax so much as it just makes the developers, rather than the people who already live there shoulder the cost of the additional impact on the infrastructure.

I don't have a problem with it, but if you think the developers are the ones shouldering the extra cost then you are mistaken. It is all passed right along to the end user. It just makes it more expensive to buy a new home, or more expensive to rent in a new apartment complex etc... There is nothing wrong with that, but don't be naive about who is shouldering the cost.

God clearly hates Texas. :D

Texas weather is crazy. Good thing God created St. Augustine grass, which easily thrives in Texas droughts. That stuff could probably survive in Death Valley. I'm surprised that it isn't imported to other parts of the country as super low-maintenance grass, but there may be some ecological reason.

Texas weather is crazy. Good thing God created St. Augustine grass, which easily thrives in Texas droughts. That stuff could probably survive in Death Valley. I'm surprised that it isn't imported to other parts of the country as super low-maintenance grass, but there may be some ecological reason.

like texans it dies when it sees snow

I don't have a problem with it, but if you think the developers are the ones shouldering the extra cost then you are mistaken. It is all passed right along to the end user. It just makes it more expensive to buy a new home, or more expensive to rent in a new apartment complex etc... There is nothing wrong with that, but don't be naive about who is shouldering the cost.

yup thats who i would expect to pay.. not me but them , both of them if it could be that way but the buck is passed to the common man...

and that is why development has slowed.. lots jumped another 25 to 40 grand.....

yup thats who i would expect to pay.. not me but them , both of them if it could be that way but the buck is passed to the common man...

and that is why development has slowed.. lots jumped another 25 to 40 grand.....

If you live in a state that collects property taxes, then everyone will feel it, as it will increase property values as well, thus increasing property taxes.

If you live in a state that collects property taxes, then everyone will feel it, as it will increase property values as well, thus increasing property taxes.

yup still doesn't bother me.... we need more firemen, cops and infrastructure since it has been neglected for the last 7 years..

Well, if the developer is paying, say $10K more per house and passing that cost along, then he is making less money than if that cost never existed. His margin has decreased as a percentage. I know, you take money, not margins to the bank. However, it has also caused him to slide further along the demand curve so he should theoretically have a hard time selling those houses.

I do understand what you are saying. I also understand that in most places, everyones property tax goes up (though in a rather delayed and discounted manner). However, the more costs that can be levied on those directly responsible for requiring increased services, the fairer it is.

Well, if the developer is paying, say $10K more per house and passing that cost along, then he is making less money than if that cost never existed. His margin has decreased as a percentage. I know, you take money, not margins to the bank. However, it has also caused him to slide further along the demand curve so he should theoretically have a hard time selling those houses.

I do understand what you are saying. I also understand that in most places, everyones property tax goes up (though in a rather delayed and discounted manner). However, the more costs that can be levied on those directly responsible for requiring increased services, the fairer it is.

Most home builders build on a cost plus method. So in reality the developers could and probably do make more money because of these additional charges. Their margins stay pretty much consistent. While all of our work is commercial, I have three very good friends who build custom homes, and everyone of them do all their work on a cost plus basis, so this additional cost would be passed directly to the home owner plus the additional margin mark up. It may be a little different for spec houses, but most people in the spec game have the resources to sit on a house long enough to get what they want. The additional costs may end up pricing home out of peoples reach and slow down the housing market, but probably not by much. Like I said, I have no problem with additional fees by municipalities. We get hit with them all the time on commercial projects, and we take those fee, throw are mark up on top of them and then bill the client for it. If anything this will only make developer more money in the long run once everything settles out throughout the entire housing market in the area (existing and new). So in the end by trying to tax the developer these well meaning people have actually made the developer more money, and only postponed by a few months taxing home owners and renters.

like texans it dies when it sees snow

You are wrong on both counts. Texans love snow,and the panhandle gets snow every year, while some of us only get it about every 3rd or 4th year. I have St. Augustine in my yard, and it has been snowed on at least 3 different years, and it is still alive. The only problem with St. Augustine is there are a couple of fungi the will kill it, so you have to watch out for that, and if you start seeing brown spots during the normal green season then you have to spray it with some anti-fungi crap.

It cant survive freezing temps for over a week at a time, or it dies, never to return.

You are wrong on both counts. Texans love snow,and the panhandle gets snow every year, while some of us only get it about every 3rd or 4th year. I have St. Augustine in my yard, and it has been snowed on at least 3 different years, and it is still alive. The only problem with St. Augustine is there are a couple of fungi the will kill it, so you have to watch out for that, and if you start seeing brown spots during the normal green season then you have to spray it with some anti-fungi crap.

It cant survive freezing temps for over a week at a time, or it dies, never to return.

:D

Why don't they just increase the price of water? Problem solved.

(If they want, they can increase the price by putting a steep tax on water and then giving households/businesses a rebate of the tax such that a normal user won't be harmed by the tax while the overall incentive to cut back on water-usage is still imposed.)

Why don't they just increase the price of water? Problem solved.

(If they want, they can increase the price by putting a steep tax on water and then giving households/businesses a rebate of the tax such that a normal user won't be harmed by the tax while the overall incentive to cut back on water-usage is still imposed.)

Then who would be paying this steep tax if they turn around and give it back in rebates?

The people who are using above-normal amounts of water. :D

And what are normal amounts of water? Is the normal amount of water the same for a home owner as it is for a business owner? Is the normal amount the same for an office building as it is for say a car wash? Who decides what "normal" is? In reality it doesn't matter, because in the end it is everyone in the area that will be paying it one way or another. Sure this might crack down on the home owner that waters his yard 5 times a week in the middle of the day, but if you are trying to "tax" businesses, you know as well as I that they will just pass this expense along to the end user.

If you are caught watering your lawn or washing your car in the town I live in, they automatically cut off your water and it is $1000 to get it cut back on. My lawn and shrubs are all dead. and my car is filthy..