[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Orlando Pace

CaptainHook

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Orlando Pace tore the labrum and rotator cuff in his right shoulder in the season opener Sunday and will be sidelined for the rest of the season.

An MRI exam Monday revealed the damage to Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowl player who was the first overall pick of the 1997 draft. Pace was injured on the first play after the two-minute warning while pass-blocking against the Panthers' Julius Peppers, minor jostling that didn't appear out of the ordinary.

"I feel very bad, obviously, for Orlando," coach Scott Linehan said. "He had a real unfortunate injury and we'll have to pick up the pieces.

"Come Sunday, we'll have our best five out there."

The 31-year-old Pace has been injured in consecutive games. He was placed on injured reserve last November with a torn triceps, also sustained while pass blocking, that knocked him out for the last seven games. He also missed an early-season game in 2006 with a concussion.

Before last season, Pace had been to seven straight Pro Bowls. And until last season he had been durable, missing six games in 2002 with calf and hamstring injuries, but starting every game in the other six seasons.

Adam Goldberg, who made two starts in 2006, replaced Pace in Sunday's 27-13 loss to Carolina. The Rams allowed one sack, but the offense struggled without the anchor of a young line, managing 16 first downs and 238 yards total offense.

from ESPN.com

Edited by CaptainHook

I don't think Holt/Bulger will suffer that much. It could benefit them fantasy wise. The inability to run the ball very well now will force them to pass more. imo

Yeah, sorry, this is a huge blow for the receivers. Bulger was under pressure all day, and had no time to throw. Goldberg is actually the third stringer in that position. They're talking about moving guys around, including moving RT Alex Barron (the human false start) to left tackle and moving a guard into his spot.

At least in the running game they can run the other way.

Brutal.

I don't think Holt/Bulger will suffer that much. It could benefit them fantasy wise. The inability to run the ball very well now will force them to pass more. imo

Pace was Bulger's blind side protection on pass plays & arguably one of the best in todays game at pass protection. Hard to see his loss being in any way shape or form an uptick for the passing game, as run blocking is almost always easier for lineman to do than pass blocking...especially for the left tackle.

I agree with this. I could see it helping the WR's even more than the QB as Bulgers INT's should go up which will hurt Bulger in leagues that take away for turnovers. but I can see them passing a whole lot more with Jackson benefitting from the passing as well.

I agree with this. I could see it helping the WR's even more than the QB as Bulgers INT's should go up which will hurt Bulger in leagues that take away for turnovers. but I can see them passing a whole lot more with Jackson benefitting from the passing as well.

Losing Orlando Pace isn't going to benefit that offense in ANY way.

The Rams were going to be behind with or without Pace. Now they're simply going to have inferior pass protection.

Which means they will have to throw more quick routes to keep the opposing defense off balance and to help protect the QB while at the same time getting positive yards that they cannot get as easily running the ball because Pace is out.

Which means they will have to throw more quick routes to keep the opposing defense off balance and to help protect the QB while at the same time getting positive yards that they cannot get as easily running the ball because Pace is out.

It could benefit McMichael and S-Jax (although he'll lose rushing yards) via your reasoning. But it's not going to help their receivers (especially Holt). And I don't know of many leagues where Bulger will benefit from having to get rid of the ball right away.

When you look at prolific passing offenses, very few have major holes at LT.

It could benefit McMichael and S-Jax (although he'll lose rushing yards) via your reasoning. But it's not going to help their receivers (especially Holt). And I don't know of many leagues where Bulger will benefit from having to get rid of the ball right away.

When you look at prolific passing offenses, very few have major holes at LT.

I understand your line of thinking. just defending mine.

We just have a diferent opinion.

The one thing everyone has to remember is when Pace went down in the past, there was a backup. His backup is already hurt so we're at stiff #3 at LT. They're talking about moving a bunch of guys around to new positions just to get their 5 best linemen on the field at the same time. And McMichael wasn't going to be anything BEFORE the injury, now he has to stay in and help block even more, so his numbers are bound to go from bad to worse.

As I mentioned before, at least when you run, you can run away from that side, so SJax might be OK. Bulger is going to be running for his life and won't make it through the season uninjured IMO. He's shown himself to be pretty fragile.