[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis

peepinmofo

I've neither heard nor read of Gibbs putting a definite cap on touches for Portis.

Do you have a :D to Gibbs saying that gd74?

Heard it on ESPN....so I cant link my TV..... if you disagree...then express your thoughts...but I have him on my team and it is what I heard

Heard it on ESPN....so I cant link my TV..... if you disagree...then express your thoughts...but I have him on my team and it is what I heard

Not disagreeing, just looking for verification. So did you hear Gibbs actually say that in an interview, or did you hear one of ESPN's talking heads saying that Gibbs said that?

• 1 month later...
Gibbs has said that Portis will get a maximum of 20 touches per game......and Betts gets the rest

Gibbs has never said anything like that. He's said that Clinton Portis is there main guy, but they feel comfortable with Betts if need be.

As far as Portis' outlook for the rest of the year, he's on pace for 1400 yards and 10+ TD's... He's a solid RB2 imo, maybe more if they continue to rest him during the week.

As soon as I heard that Gibbs was going back to 'Redskins football' (:D), I tried to acquire Portis before this week for pretty cheap but his owner didn't bite (some Skins homerism).

It seems to happen every year around this time since '04... in '05, Portis exploded in the second half of the season. Last year when Portis was injured, Betts exploded in the second half. All mostly due to Gibbs scrapping their original offensive gameplan from the start of the season.

Regarding the Betts/Portis situation from the article linked above...

Betts has been ineffective as well, but he often goes an hour or more without carrying the football, enough to derail any tailback. He eclipsed 1,000 yards after replacing injured Portis in the second half of 2006, but Gibbs has been adamant that Portis is his starter (he has 98 rushes the last six weeks to just 30 for Betts), and Bugel equated switching starters to throwing Portis "under the bus" this week. Others on the staff believe Betts could contribute more with a bigger role, sources said, but they lack the authority to alter personnel.
Edited by kingfish247

And that one touch led to a fumble... All of that talk about Betts taking over...

Actually all of that talk of Betts pushing Portis & the Skins backfield going heavily to a RBBC, bamboozled a lot of people. Quite a few long time fantasy football players, even on this board, bought into it hook line & sinker.

It's what allowed fantasy savvy owners to basically steal Portis in their drafts.

Actually all of that talk of Betts pushing Portis & the Skins backfield going heavily to a RBBC, bamboozled a lot of people. Quite a few long time fantasy football players, even on this board, bought into it hook line & sinker.

It's what allowed fantasy savvy owners to basically steal Portis in their drafts.

Portis is showing burst again. Some of the runs he had the past 2 weeks were awesome, and he was close to busting it loose. Portis looks great and he is really putting the team on his back!

I haven't followed the RBBC real close, but wasn't it a pretty heavy RBBC until recently?

I haven't followed the RBBC real close, but wasn't it a pretty heavy RBBC until recently?

No... Portis' carries outnumber Betts' by a little over 3:1.

As long as Portis is healthy and active, Portis will receive the touches at a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio.

Again, the Betts/Portis share situation only came about last year due to Portis' nagging shoulder injury. Even then an injured Portis got more touches per game and was still more productive than Betts.

It's not an RBBC when Portis is healthy. Even in an RBBC, Betts is not a RB that can be productive with half or less of the lion's share of the touches.

Edited by kingfish247

As explained by kingfish247 above, while some people got suckered into expecting a Portis / Betts RBBC this season, it never materialized.