[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wireless Routers

CaP'N GRuNGe

I'm looking to get a wireless router for at home. We have a desktop PC and my wife has a work laptop that has a wireless modem (or whatever they are called) built in. Also, our next PC, probably in a year or so, could very well be a laptop.

What do a need in a wireless router? We have a cable modem with high speed innernets. I'm confused as to the different types of routers with the labeling such as "G" or "N" etc. I'm assuming i can get by with one for around $60, but do the cheaper ones lack the speed that the more expensive ones do? Any help greatly appreciated.

Speed difference isn't that great, but you might notice a slight increase if you d/l a lot or transfer files from one system to another. Personally, I'd just stick w/ 'G'. If you need a large distance go w/ Mimo.

Brands in order of preference:

Buffalo (good prices at newegg.com)

D-Link

Linksys

Stay away from:

Air-link

Other low end brands.

What's considered a large distance? The house we live in is a one story, about 1800 sq ft. I doubt we would use it outside, but I suppose I could see sitting just outside one our patio in the backyard.

I do that all the time, April-Oct anyway. I don't have MIMO, I have a strong signal from about 20' and going thru 2 walls and a floor. Walls and floors will weaken the signal more than distance as will metal studs vs wooden ones and concrete flooring vs wooden, but they both (dist & walls/floor) factor in.

Edited by rocknrobn26

I have a linksys wireless G and it's located on our lower finished level. I hang out on the patio all summer with the wireless laptop and have never had any issues. I can even steal my neighbors signal from across the street and he's a still a decent distance - not sure what he's running though.

Speed difference isn't that great, but you might notice a slight increase if you d/l a lot or transfer files from one system to another. Personally, I'd just stick w/ 'G'. If you need a large distance go w/ Mimo.

Brands in order of preference:

Buffalo (good prices at newegg.com)

D-Link

Linksys

Stay away from:

Air-link

Other low end brands.

I have a D-Link Mimo router, very nice distance. Recently we went to FiOS TV and they brought an ActionTec router, I figured I wouldn't be using that as my wireless router (use my D-Link bridged to it instead), but the range on that is very good and so I'm probably going to part with the D-Link or just stash it away.

Do not buy anything but Buffalo, and buy from Newegg.

Don't waste your time on anything else. And the N routers are not worth it right now, the Buffalo G is fine.

Buy this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833162134

Nice, I came in here because a friend wants me to set up wireless in her house. I was going to search for your posts about wireless routers (couldn't remember the brand you preferred), but there it is! Thanks.

I have also bought all my stuff from Newegg when I have built/upgraded/fixed computers. If they don't have the best price on-line, they have always been willing to price-match (and once in a while, even more, like throwing in free shipping).

Edited by Gunther

Do not buy anything but Buffalo, and buy from Newegg.

Don't waste your time on anything else. And the N routers are not worth it right now, the Buffalo G is fine.

Buy this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833162134

FYI, just found that Fry's Electronics has it for $7 cheaper.