[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling all Musical Huddlers

Czarina

OK folks, you helped me through the drum purchase last year, now we're in the market for a decent starter acoustic. Who's generally good, bad and otherwise. How do I decide if I can get a full size or 3/4 size? Is there a rule of thumb for those things? Money is definitely an object here, especially since I expect he's going to want to move into an electric sooner or later.

Oh, btw, this is for my 8 year old. :D

This one.. is very inexpensive..

These are a little more expensive (#9 baby Taylor may be the most practical from a size point of view)

I would try and get a guitar with Nylon strings so its a little easier on your kids hands to get started..Good luck Czar

Edited by whomper

For some reason I assumed I'd be wanting one with steel strings. Is it just a difference in style/tone to go with the nylon strings?

He's got a 1/2 size guitar he borrowed from a friend to try for a while and he can't put it down. It's very cute. :D

I'm taking guitar lessons once a week right now. Unfortunately, I'm not a phenom who picks it up and knows how to play right away. After two weeks of lessons, I can now play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star".

For some reason I assumed I'd be wanting one with steel strings. Is it just a difference in style/tone to go with the nylon strings?

He's got a 1/2 size guitar he borrowed from a friend to try for a while and he can't put it down. It's very cute. :D

Nylon strings will be easier for him to press down and allow his to achieve a cleaner chord..Steel strings are harder to press dow..Steel may help him achieve better hand strength but can get frustrating if he is having trouble pressing them down

Some things you need to know.

You can put steel or nylon strings on any guitar. You will definitely want nylon to begin with as steel hurts like the dickens untill you have calluses built up.

Considering this is for an 8 year old, you may want to consider a 3/4 size guitar. The best thing to do is to go to a music store and have the child try one on for size. If he can reach all the way to the nut (the piece of plastic or bone that the string touches next to the head (the place where the tuning pegs are)) without moving the guitar on his lap or his right hand (assuming he's right handed) on the strings, then that is the guitar for him.

A classical acoustic guitar will have a wider neck than a similar regular acoustic guitar. With a child's hands, this will make it tougher for them to play at first because they will have to stretch their fingers farther to make the chords. I would stay away from one of these even though a classical acoustic will always come with nylon strings.

If you look carefully, you can probably find a beginners pack for less than $100. That will include a guitar and a gig bag (soft carrying case) , maybe some picks thrown in. At this stage of the game you shouldn't worry about brand too much.You'll also want to spring for a music stand and a tuner. Being able to tune a guitar by ear takes a lot of practice; there are guitar tuners for about $20 that will work wonderfully and make things much easier on the kid.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

This one.. is very inexpensive..

These are a little more expensive (#9 baby Taylor may be the most practical from a size point of view)

I would try and get a guitar with Nylon strings so its a little easier on your kids hands to get started..Good luck Czar

When I saw you recommended a TAYLOR I was like "whoa, they start around $400 AND go up to $3500.. I passed on a midrange TAYLOR a few years ago, awesome tone but a 4th guitar was not a top priority at the time.. I still like to play them when I visit the shop.. But the tuner will be the BEST investment for a beginner..

• 1 month later...

Don't know if you purchased yet, but I'd suggest a Seagull S6+. Solid Spruce top with Godin electronics

http://www.epinions.com/content_29204713092

edit reread 7 y/o. nevermind. still a great guitar for the money

Edited by MuddyPaws

Hey Czar - I don't know if you are still searching or not but I had my eleven year old up to the music store near my house and they fitted her with a 3/4. She is actually pretty big for an eleven year old so I just thought that if you haven't purchased something yet, you would probably be best to stay 3/4 or smaller. Nylon strings is also for sure the way to go for a beginner. One thing that you may be able to do that we can do here in Pittsburgh is actually rent a guitar. The one that we settled on is going to be $16.75 a month for rent and 40% of that will go to a purchase if we decide to purchase.

I would just purchase right from the jump but with an investment as small as I am going to have I think that letting her get a real feel for it before a big commitment is the way to go. She is already pretty good at the clarinet and reads music so I think this will be pretty easy for us to figure out if she is in it for the long haul or if it is just a little passing faze.

I ended up buying one from ebay. It was $120 plus shipping for the guitar. I'm probably going to cheap out on a little amp to get him started. The music store down the road suggested a package with a Fender Squier Affinity series guitar, but their package was too $$ for a starter, IMO.

I ended up with a sweet looking Squier Affinity that someone had made some upgrades on. It arrived today and I haven't been able to look at it yet. Just waiting for them to go to bed.