[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blind leading the blind

H8tank

Because hybrids make virtually no noise at slower speeds when they run solely on electric power, blind people say they pose a hazard to those who rely on their ears to determine whether it's safe to cross the street or walk through a parking lot.

"I'm used to being able to get sound cues from my environment and negotiate accordingly. I hadn't imagined there was anything I really wouldn't be able to hear," said Deborah Kent Stein, chairwoman of the National Federation of the Blind's Committee on Automotive and Pedestrian Safety. "We did a test, and I discovered, to my great dismay, that I couldn't hear it." . . .

[National Federation of the Blind] President Marc Maurer said he received an e-mail from an environmentalist who suggested that the members of his group should be the first to drown when sea levels rise from global warming.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071003/hybrids_blind.html?.v=8

Pretty soon the hybrid will have a device to make some noise when it is in electric operation. A few people get run over, blind or not, and someone will make a big enough stink.

In the future that loud whistle coming down the street is my hybrid.

Pretty soon the hybrid will have a device to make some noise when it is in electric operation. A few people get run over, blind or not, and someone will make a big enough stink.

In the future that loud whistle coming down the street is my hybrid.

Better than it being your ass that does the whistling now

I'm confused. I thought one of the main attractions of the hybrid was the fact that it made it easier to run over the blind, the elderly, etc. By doing so, we are decreasing the population, easing overburdened medical costs and minimizing their carbon footprint. This appears to be a win-win to me.