[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HOW THE HELL DOES ONLY 2 SECONDS COME OFF THE CLOCK ON AN ONSIDE KICK?

pig devilz

And if he had touched the ball as it went by the clock would have started. In the last 2 minutes of a half the clock does not start on a kickoff untill legally touched AFTER having been kicked.

Knowing that you'd THINK he woulda jumped on it....you know, to start the clock.

:D

seriously tho, at that point it had been touched..... i think it was Crayton who actually touched it first out of everyone.

I'm still baffled how they blew that game.....unreal.

Edited by doobwaa

There is no way that took 2 seconds...it took like 5..tops...but more than 2 for sure. But, it wasn't the end all of the game. If the just cover Crayton tighter on the last play....then they force Romo to take a shorter throw or a longer throw...either way is better than a wide open ten yard out.

Normally the clock would start when the ball is kicked, except in the last 2 minutes of either half. On kickoffs during the last 2 minutes of a half the clock does not start until a player from either team legally touches the ball. So last night the clock should not have started until after the ball was touched, subsequent to having been kicked.

And all extra point attempts are untimed downs.

OK so when the ball was first touched by Dallas (was it Sam Hurd?) is that considered a "legal touch?" Of not, and the clock did not start until the second Dallas player touched the ball, then I can see where it would only be 2 seconds off the clock and not longer as nearly all (myself included) thought would come off after the initial touch.

OK so when the ball was first touched by Dallas (was it Sam Hurd?) is that considered a "legal touch?" Of not, and the clock did not start until the second Dallas player touched the ball, then I can see where it would only be 2 seconds off the clock and not longer as nearly all (myself included) thought would come off after the initial touch.

No, it's the first player to touch it after it's gone 10 yards. That was the guy who palmed it forward just after it crossed the 40 yard line. The clock starts there. Then it rolled around near the 50 and a Dallas player fell on it. The Buffalo player nearer looked like he was caught with his weight on the wrong foot. Whether or not, that was longer than any two seconds.

So I went to Youtube and found the video of the onside kick. I watched it several times and from the moment the Dallas player touches the ball until it is fallen on is 2 seconds. With a Buffalo player literally on his back the recovering player was down there and the play ended. So the ref got it right. Now the refs don't come in waving their arms for another 3 seconds but a review can result in adjustment of that based on replay showing when the ball was dead.

So I went to Youtube and found the video of the onside kick. I watched it several times and from the moment the Dallas player touches the ball until it is fallen on is 2 seconds. With a Buffalo player literally on his back the recovering player was down there and the play ended. So the ref got it right. Now the refs don't come in waving their arms for another 3 seconds but a review can result in adjustment of that based on replay showing when the ball was dead.

i just looked, too. at the link above, you can see that at :03 seconds, the cowboys touch the ball. at :05-:06 seconds, it appears the ball is down. at :07 seconds, the whistle blows. so if you go by the whistle, it's 4 seconds. but if i remember right, the clock never started running, so they had to go back and look at it to see how much had run off. ignoring the whistle, i think the play took between 2 and 3 seconds (and i'm assuming that the refs were allowed to ignore the whistle when reviewing the play, but i don't really know).

ah, watching that play over and over brought back a lot of happy memories. :D

(and i'm assuming that the refs were allowed to ignore the whistle when reviewing the play, but i don't really know).

If the official scoreboard operator goes off the referee's physical signals for clock stoppage, why wouldn't the replay official do the same? Did they review the play? I missed the live action but on the Sportscenter highlights it looked like the clock never even started.

Also, that Youtube video isn't the best quality but it looks as if the ball is touched around the 3 second mark and the ref stop clock signal comes at 7-8

Edited by bushwacked

On a kickoff a "legal touching" ends the kick. Then the return begins which of course we all know is ended when the returner is either downed by a defender, runs out of bounds or scores. In the final 2 minutes of a half the clock starts when the ball is legally touched, thereby ending the kick. Muffs do not end the kick. Any touching of the ball, after it travels 10 yards, that does not result in a possession of the ball, will not end the kick. Therefore the clock does not start until possession is established and the person possessing the ball I downed.

I may be the only person who has not seen it, and I am not disputing how much time did pass I am just trying to help with the rules, but the questions is, after someone possessed the ball, how much time passed until he was downed by an opposing player?

My perception was the sam, but I watched a replay on NFL Countdown today. I replayed it several times. After the touch it was 2.3 secs.. After the kick it was 4.1. Those are averages of 4 replays each.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm no boy :D fan. And I'm not trying to dis anyone here. But that's what I have.

Also, there is a ref on the field that keeps the official time, if memory serves. I'm sure he was consulted and that it wasn't a guess.

I may be the only person who has not seen it, and I am not disputing how much time did pass I am just trying to help with the rules, but the questions is, after someone possessed the ball, how much time passed until he was downed by an opposing player?

It's immediate. The Dallas player falls on the ball and a Buffalo player is literally on his back the second he touches the ball.

I replayed it several times. After the touch it was 2.3 secs..

it was no longer then 2.5 seconds to get that recovery

the clock doesn't stop when a bunch of guys hit the ground and you think one of them has it. the clock stops when the whistle is blown and the ref signals for the clock to stop. it may have been only 2.5 seconds from the time hurd touched it to the time curtis touched it, but that doesn't make it correct that only 2 seconds ran off the clock.

he hit the ground and was immediately touched therefore stopping the clock. Did you even see the play?

No, it's the first player to touch it after it's gone 10 yards. That was the guy who palmed it forward just after it crossed the 40 yard line. The clock starts there. Then it rolled around near the 50 and a Dallas player fell on it. The Buffalo player nearer looked like he was caught with his weight on the wrong foot. Whether or not, that was longer than any two seconds.

Also, that Youtube video isn't the best quality but it looks as if the ball is touched around the 3 second mark and the ref stop clock signal comes at 7-8

yup, and those are the two markers that count. should have been 4-5 seconds, not 2, without a doubt.

the clock doesn't stop when a bunch of guys hit the ground and you think one of them has it. the clock stops when the whistle is blown and the ref signals for the clock to stop. it may have been only 2.5 seconds from the time hurd touched it to the time curtis touched it, but that doesn't make it correct that only 2 seconds ran off the clock.

:D So what are me, Az, and Ursa missing here.

Ok everyone knows I hate the boyz, but it was no longer then 2.5 seconds to get that recovery stop the complaining or be dubbed seahawk fans!!!!!!!!!!

Low blow :D

But even as a seahawk fan I have to admit it was funny :D

Az,

I'm not looking for an argument here. I timed what I timed. There may have been a whistle or not. I stopped my timer when he curled up on the ground w/ the ball which should have created a whistle. But I have seen too many plays where the whistle didn't mean squat either.

My post was not intended to be the deciding factor of this debate, per se. It was just what I did and reported. That's all.

rr26

from what i can tell from watching my DVR replay is,

from the time the ball is first touched, which was by a cowboy, (legally at or beyond the 40)

till the time a cowboy lands on the ball is, in my calculation 2.3 seconds.

now, if the rule states that the clock begins and stops upon touch of the ball, they got it right.

if the rule states that the clock starts upon legal touch and stops upon recovery by a team,

they got it wrong....recovery is a loose term, possesion might be better.

my calculation for that is 3.5 seconds (i can except that)

but if the clock begins upon legal touch and ends with the ref blowing the whistle (waiving his arms to stop the clock) my calculation on that is 5 seconds....i cant except that.

i think the clock was started late.

how many seconds were on the clock when the winning kick was made? 4 seconds?

and i'l add...i really had no interest in who won....Folk's point meant nothing to me, i had already won.

it just baffled me how the entire play took 2 seconds....

anyway it was a great/messy/exciting game to watch.

Edited by pig devilz

Something similar happened with the TO incompletion as well.

If you look at that replay, the 13 second mark is the exact time that TO hit the turf.

If it was ruled an incompletion, looking at the position of the side judge, the clock would have stopped at around the 11 second mark by the time he signaled incomplete, maybe even the 10 second mark.

Because it was reviewed, just like the onside kick, they took the exact time that the player made contact with the ground, not the time an official would typically signal end of play.

I don't care either way, but the 13 seconds put on the clock on the incompletion was just as generous.

It was done right because on a review, they can't guess when an official would have signaled the play dead, they need to go by when the ball carrier makes contact with the ground.

Dallas just caught a break because between those 2 reviews, without a doubt, they ended up with 5 extra seconds.

Edited by charty

Something similar happened with the TO incompletion as well.

If you look at that replay, the 13 second mark is the exact time that TO hit the turf.

If it was ruled an incompletion, looking at the position of the side judge, the clock would have stopped at around the 11 second mark by the time he signaled incomplete, maybe even the 10 second mark.

Because it was reviewed, just like the onside kick, they took the exact time that the player made contact with the ground, not the time an official would typically signal end of play.

I don't care either way, but the 13 seconds put on the clock on the incompletion was just as generous.

It was done right because on a review, they can't guess when an official would have signaled the play dead, they need to go by when the ball carrier makes contact with the ground.

Dallas just caught a break because between those 2 reviews, without a doubt, they ended up with 5 extra seconds.

:D i just reviewed every play in the game, and it turns out the game should've ended midway through the third quarter.