[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

good article on mars global warming

polksalet

I guess avalanches, tsunamis, hurricanes, etc. are next on the list? Do you know how big the lava pool is below Yellowstone?

:D

yuup....all of them are going to be taken care of by one big electric shock :D

how can you compare a volcano to those?....just curious..

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to imagine it is the other way around, china passing the US. china's economy is growing at a ridiculous rate, with very few environmental controls. they aren't going to be getting passed by anybody.

2 weeks ago in my Green Buildings class....we had someone come in and speak for some company that I forget and it was said we are #1 in uhh....manufacturing CO2 into the atmosphere :D

..but on a serious note...I assumed his source was more recent than China because someone mentioned that and he said "no, we are once again #1" as China did something, but I forget what he said because I was too busy writing something down :D..

It really depends on where you are and how your house is set up. $120 would be a lot for me. However a gas bill at around $380 in the winter is normal. If you cook with electric and heat your home with electric then I would think that $120 would be a bargin. However, the only thing I use electic for is lighting and appliances.

yeah, we have Electric and Gas....

2 HDTV's and a hugh setup for each....an internet/VP relay system, 2 computers and all kinds of other crap that run up the bill....

the Gas bill usually isn't THAT high, but right now it's about 80 bucks and should shoot up to around close to 200 during the winter...

yuup....all of them are going to be taken care of by one big electric shock :D

how can you compare a volcano to those?....just curious..

Natural disasters. And...the inability to really affect anything like those because they are on such a big scale.

:D Finally, someone mentions the truth.

Oh wait. For those pessimistic people out there this may not go well with the theory that humans are the root of all problems here on Earth. How can we take this information out of context and blame humans? Know-it-all Huddlers, your thoughts?

Oh wait. For those pessimistic people out there this may not go well with the theory that humans are the root of all problems here on Earth. How can we take this information out of context and blame humans? Know-it-all Huddlers, your thoughts?

I know you're a more of a mongoloid than the average huddler so I'll help you out on this one. If you think the anthropogenic effect on global warming is a myth, maybe you shouldn't be applauding an op-ed that contends livestock is a major contribution to the the warming of the globe. :D

And your point is?

Are you saying that you don't eat beef and therefor don't contribute to this problem or simply pointing out yet another in a long list of ways your lifestyle helps the world along a very unfortunate path.

Oh, and for the record, green activists are aware of the problem. Believe me, spend a day outside J-ville and you will see the hippies scream about cattle and pork production as much as SUVs. I think it's also pretty safe to say that as a whole, green activists are supporting large scale cattle production less than the H8tanks of the world.

Dude, you have got to be kidding me. Your post may be the single most moranic thing ever written in the huddle. If you had a better track record, I would have thought this was a fishing trip ala Spain. I wish I could give you that benefit of the doubt, but I really don't think you've earned it.

This is a problem caused by livestock. Livestock implies that humans, yes humans, are breeding tons and tons of these animals for use by humans. It doesn't take a tree-hugger to follow the path of evidence right to us and our lifestyle choices (like, for instance, having burger joints on every corner). That's basically like saying, people don't cause pollution, factories and cars cause pollution.

Now, I'm not pointing any fingers here because I consume beef. Even those of us who make choices to limit our impact on the planet do harm in other ways. My point is, that's really no reason to throw your hands in the air and just to frick-all. Choose your vices. Just don't choose all of them.

Edited by detlef

I am proly the biggest "tree hugger" on these boards and have been vocally supporting the anti-beef charge for a long time. Way to make a point for me. :D

P.S. I dont eat any Beef or Pork.

I'm still trying to figure out how blue staters got as dumb as they are. I'm thinking breeding ugly people...

probably...

good thing I am neither....but when you consider the power behind the red states the past 2 elections.....the grass definitely looks greener on the other side...

I just change sides to who sounds less shady...and you can't get any shadier than the Bush administration....

...but back to global warming :D

oh a lot of the vegan fruitcakes harp on this incessantly. it's only the "greenies" who eat red meat who conveniently ignore it. hmm, one wonders, does the goracle chow down on steaks?

oh a lot of the vegan fruitcakes harp on this incessantly. it's only the "greenies" who eat red meat who conveniently ignore it. hmm, one wonders, does the goracle chow down on steaks?

I love steak and most beef products...

we can still eat it, we just need to cut down some so I can keep eating all the beef I want....

see...win-win here...

Edited by Avernus

There were approximately 105 million head of cattle in the U.S. as of July 2007. The American bison herds of the great plains peaked at around 100 million in the mid 19th century.

:D I wonder if the settlers really decimated the bison herds to prevent global warming and not to rob the native american tribes of their main food source.

again...apples and oranges...

if you can't see that...then oh well..

Please enlighten me orange man. If you seriously think man can control a supervolcano, I'm sure you could show me how to control a wild f'ing gypsy and I'll show you how to control an unhinged, pig-feeding gangster. <Snatch>

There were approximately 105 million head of cattle in the U.S. as of July 2007. The American bison herds of the great plains peaked at around 100 million in the mid 19th century.

:D I wonder if the settlers really decimated the bison herds to prevent global warming and not to rob the native american tribes of their main food source.

Yeah, and don't forget all of the horses than were running around as man's most common means of transportation!

I love steak and most beef products...

we can still eat it, we just need to cut down some so I can keep eating all the beef I want....

see...win-win here...

so what you're saying is, other people need to cut down their greedy fat gasoline indulgence so you can feel better about your greedy fat methane-farting beef indulgence?

The US is small fry in the cattle biz...

Brazil holds the second largest number of cattle in the world, after India, with more than 160 million head. The number is equivalent to its human population and enough to inundate the international market with beef and milk - if its productivity were not so low.

Think globally, act locally.

But cattle do not only generate gases that contribute to global warming. In Brazil, the animals are also associated with the country's top environmental problem: the burning of forests and the concentration of rural property in the hands of a few, which has proven to be a source of serious social conflicts.

In many cases, especially on the agricultural frontier, people burn forests in order to create pasturelands, and abandon thousands of head of cattle there just to ensure ownership of large tracts of land by showing it is occupied. Meat and milk production is not the central goal.
Edited by DemonKnight

so what you're saying is, other people need to cut down their greedy fat gasoline indulgence so you can feel better about your greedy fat methane-farting beef indulgence?

pretty much...but my body doesn't store fat.....so I can eat all the beef I want :D

well bison eat grass cows eat corn, ground up cows and other yummy stuff

and bison is way better eating that cows :D