[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Life insurance question...smoker that quits.

Skippy

Okay here goes:

You smoked up until about three months ago. You go for life insurance. You fill out that you do not smoke. Fast forward two years or so and you start smoking again. Do you call and tell them so that they can adjust your rates or what?

I ask this as we are considering some life insurance for my wife who recently quit smoking. I was going to wait three months or so and then go for the insurance. Assuming that she still does not smoke at that time, I am thinking that we get cheaper rates. However, what if she would relapse at some point as it seems that a great deal of smokers do?

Okay here goes:

You smoked up until about three months ago. You go for life insurance. You fill out that you do not smoke. Fast forward two years or so and you start smoking again. Do you call and tell them so that they can adjust your rates or what?

I ask this as we are considering some life insurance for my wife who recently quit smoking. I was going to wait three months or so and then go for the insurance. Assuming that she still does not smoke at that time, I am thinking that we get cheaper rates. However, what if she would relapse at some point as it seems that a great deal of smokers do?

I guess they'd never know if you don't die due to smoking related causes.

I guess they'd never know if you don't die due to smoking related causes.

Yes that maybe but what if you did die due to smoking related causes? Also, I don't think that the last 25 years of her smoking are magically erased. I mean I would think that she could still die from something that was caused during those years.

Yes that maybe but what if you did die due to smoking related causes? Also, I don't think that the last 25 years of her smoking are magically erased. I mean I would think that she could still die from something that was caused during those years.

Didn't realize that she had such a long history of smoking. I'm a smoker in otherwise good health and I'm paying about double what I would if I didn't smoke but it's covered. If I quit after 6 months I get a blood test and if I pass, a rate reduction. I've been unsuccessfull in three attempts over the last year and a half but I keep trying. Wish her the best of luck, I look at ex-smokers withgreat admiration. If you want coverage for though, disclose it and expect to pay more.

Yes I would disclose it. However, I am thinking that at some point the rates come down.

On the flip side my life insurance is based on me not smoking, (never did), but lets say for some reason that I decided to start. Am I expected to call them and tell them that?

Yes I would disclose it. However, I am thinking that at some point the rates come down.

On the flip side my life insurance is based on me not smoking, (never did), but lets say for some reason that I decided to start. Am I expected to call them and tell them that?

My rates will go down if I prove I quit so you'd think hers would.

You should check and see what is excluded and not excluded on your policy. I think the quick answer to your question is that if you want it covered you should disclose it.

Let me give you the skinny skippy!!! LOL

First, the insurance companies, most of the good ones anyway, are gonna need to see one year smoke free before they can grant non-smoker rates. So, if she applies, she will get smoker rates anyway because she still smoked within the last 12 months. Now, if she quits for three months and you fabricate(much better than lie!) and she died say 8 months later from lung cancer, the insurance company will refuse to pay because of the 2 year incontestability period where they can prove fraud or at least willfully wrong answers.

Now, I say there are strategies depending ont he type of coverage you are looking for. Rather than bore everyone here with the mundane, you can PM me with your buying scenario, and I will give you some advice on how to deal with the insurance companies.

First, the insurance companies, most of the good ones anyway, are gonna need to see one year smoke free before they can grant non-smoker rates. So, if she applies, she will get smoker rates anyway because she still smoked within the last 12 months. Now, if she quits for three months and you fabricate(much better than lie!) and she died say 8 months later from lung cancer, the insurance company will refuse to pay because of the 2 year incontestability period where they can prove fraud or at least willfully wrong answers.

Now, I say there are strategies depending ont he type of coverage you are looking for. Rather than bore everyone here with the mundane, you can PM me with your buying scenario, and I will give you some advice on how to deal with the insurance companies.

Sounds reasonable, Skip! Call him!

Thank you! I will hook up with you when we start our real shopping. I can sort of read a little between your lines there and think I know where you are heading.

You know big guy. Quit those damn things.

I think its been about 20 years for me.

[RobSchneider]You can do it.{/RobSchneider}

Not me buddy. I have never smoked. I have my own set of problems but smoking is not one of them. This is about my wife.

The life insurance company I deal with has a "spit kit" - you put a paper strip in your mouth and it detects the presence of tobacco by-products. But IIRC it's only good for about 6 months out.

Personally, if she started smoking and you had the non-smoking rate, I'd just keep my mouth shut; that is, as long as you don't need to prove that you are insurable when you renew your policy. If you do have to do that, they'll nail you.

The life insurance company I deal with has a "spit kit" - you put a paper strip in your mouth and it detects the presence of tobacco by-products. But IIRC it's only good for about 6 months out.

Personally, if she started smoking and you had the non-smoking rate, I'd just keep my mouth shut; that is, as long as you don't need to prove that you are insurable when you renew your policy. If you do have to do that, they'll nail you.

Not only will they nail you then but they won't pay out if she dies and they find out. Makes it pointless forking over the premiums in the first place.

Let me clear this up for everyone so noone gives any misinfo to anyone any longer. If you buy a life insurance policy, let us say 20 year term, and never smoked...and two years into the policy you decided to toke away on Camels....you could call the President of the life insurance company and they couldn't raise your rates...PERIOD. The policy is a contract based upon your health at the time it was underwritten. It is a unilateral contract that can ONLY be changed by you within the terms of the policy.

However, if you lie on the application, that is fraud and it has no limit to lookback. The 2 year contestability period is there if you omit something you should have admitted...but didn't lie....or other matters that gives the insurance company an out in the first two years. So, if you want to quit smoking and are serious, first go to the doctor and let them know you quit such and such so they can document your file. Then, after a year has past, call your company or your agent and ask for the rate reduction. You will have to fill out a new app, usually, so they can get your doctors records. They won't just take your word for it all the time....sometimes they check records...so spend the copay and make it official.

So to conclude, if you quit smoking for a year, or have never smoked....applied and got non-smoker rates.....and then started smoking again the day after you signed for the approved policy, there is NOTHING the insurance company can do about it. But be rest assured they will interview your friends, coworkers, doctors, and others to see if you actually did quit smoking if you died too soon, and if you didn't, they will claim fraud and deny claim.

PM me with any questions that are personally specific you do not wish to discuss out in the open.

Edited by TheShiznit

Let me clear this up for everyone so noone gives any misinfo to anyone any longer. If you buy a life insurance policy, let us say 20 year term, and never smoked...and two years into the policy you decided to toke away on Camels....you could call the President of the life insurance company and they couldn't raise your rates...PERIOD. The policy is a contract based upon your health at the time it was underwritten. It is a unilateral contract that can ONLY be changed by you within the terms of the policy.

However, if you lie on the application, that is fraud and it has no limit to lookback. The 2 year contestability period is there if you omit something you should have admitted...but didn't lie....or other matters that gives the insurance company an out in the first two years. So, if you want to quit smoking and are serious, first go to the doctor and let them know you quit such and such so they can document your file. Then, after a year has past, call your company or your agent and ask for the rate reduction. You will have to fill out a new app, usually, so they can get your doctors records. They won't just take your word for it all the time....sometimes they check records...so spend the copay and make it official.

So to conclude, if you quit smoking for a year, or have never smoked....applied and got non-smoker rates.....and then started smoking again the day after you signed for the approved policy, there is NOTHING the insurance company can do about it. But be rest assured they will interview your friends, coworkers, doctors, and others to see if you actually did quit smoking if you died too soon, and if you didn't, they will claim fraud and deny claim.

PM me with any questions that are personally specific you do not wish to discuss out in the open.

But say you already have a policy and you quit for a year and never went to your PCP to document it, then they just give you some sort of tobacco test, correct? Then if the results come back good you will get the reduction?

But say you already have a policy and you quit for a year and never went to your PCP to document it, then they just give you some sort of tobacco test, correct? Then if the results come back good you will get the reduction?

If they won't then just shop for a new policy with a different company as a non-smoker.

Yes, I have had a lots of clients go this route with plenty of companies...but some companies do what is called requesting an APS....Attending Physicians Statement....to confirm you didn't just quit 45 days ago. It usually takes 45 days for nicotine to clear your system if you drink enough fluids.

I quit for 4 months just to get the lower rate and was under the impression that in the 1st two years if you don't die from a smoke related issue then all is good. So good info so far. This clause is there for non-smokers who joined the mortgage broker community in the summer of '07.

quit smoking to live longer and healthier or quit smoking to get lower rates.......

just friggin quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmarc says something worthwhile, aka "sun shines on a dog's ass"