[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA

BigMikeinNY

right, they lose to golden state in the first round :D

One of my fondest memories in recent sports history. Game 1 was the day my son was born. So, son is born then the Warriors go on to win their first playoff game in a bazillion years.... and then go on to win the series.

No competition, better arena. It sucks but it is what it is.

I don't dispute that, but how does the NBA think that it is good for business to abandon an entire region (except Portland)? Only a few years ago, the Pacific Northwest had Vancouver with a team as well.

I'm not saying that its inevitable that the local government is going to have to pony something up, but the day this group bought the team they asked for $500 million without offering up anything in return, and have admitted they bought the team solely to move it to Oklahoma.

I understand how this thing works, but how does the NBA think the $350 million price tag these guys paid for a cruddy team in a sub-standard building (that was renovated to team specs for $100 million 12 years ago) is going to increase in value by sticking it somewhere north of Texas between Denver and Memphis? How do the TV people feel when you abandon a market in favor of another one 1/3 the size? One of the major reasons NBC bailed on the NFL was because they weren't compensated for losing the Los Angeles and Houston markets in the mid-90s (in favor of Oakland and Nashville).

I just don't get how the league thinks it is sensible to do as much, but that's probably why I don't watch pro basketball unless my local team is playing.

I don't dispute that, but how does the NBA think that it is good for business to abandon an entire region (except Portland)? Only a few years ago, the Pacific Northwest had Vancouver with a team as well.

I'm not saying that its inevitable that the local government is going to have to pony something up, but the day this group bought the team they asked for $500 million without offering up anything in return, and have admitted they bought the team solely to move it to Oklahoma.

I understand how this thing works, but how does the NBA think the $350 million price tag these guys paid for a cruddy team in a sub-standard building (that was renovated to team specs for $100 million 12 years ago) is going to increase in value by sticking it somewhere north of Texas between Denver and Memphis? How do the TV people feel when you abandon a market in favor of another one 1/3 the size? One of the major reasons NBC bailed on the NFL was because they weren't compensated for losing the Los Angeles and Houston markets in the mid-90s (in favor of Oakland and Nashville).

I just don't get how the league thinks it is sensible to do as much, but that's probably why I don't watch pro basketball unless my local team is playing.

All good points. Wasn't Stern saying something about this Seattle to Oklahoma issue recently? Not sure what his take is but I think he was saying if the team leaves there will be no replacement down the road as long as he's the commish. Basically, I think Seattle is the latest in the long line of cities lined up to be ass-raped by pro sports.

All good points. Wasn't Stern saying something about this Seattle to Oklahoma issue recently? Not sure what his take is but I think he was saying if the team leaves there will be no replacement down the road as long as he's the commish. Basically, I think Seattle is the latest in the long line of cities lined up to be ass-raped by pro sports.

He wants the same revenue streams provided to the Seahawks and Mariners for their facilities. Because the NBA is of course the same thing as the NFL and MLB.

That isn't completely unreasonable, however, the new Sonics owner (nor the one before him) would not commit to a level of support on the project (The Hawks kicked in $100 million, the Mariners ended up kicking in $120 million, and they both asked for less $$$ AND both projects were subject to voter approval). The head of the Sonics ownership group also said he didn't want it to go to a public vote.

The thing is that there isn't an ass raping involved. It's an attempted ass raping, but thus far, the government and the people are saying no. People do not have a problem with the Sonics getting a new building. The problem is that David Stern and Clay Bennett, and Howard Schultz before him, have a mantra that they are ENTITLED to a new building and that is simply not right.

The thing is that there isn't an ass raping involved. It's an attempted ass raping, but thus far, the government and the people are saying no. People do not have a problem with the Sonics getting a new building. The problem is that David Stern and Clay Bennett, and Howard Schultz before him, have a mantra that they are ENTITLED to a new building and that is simply not right.

I meant "attempted ass-raping". It is what pro sports does to cities periodically. Minneapolis has just ponied up for a baseball stadium after years of internal strife with the Twins kicking in $150m or thereabouts. The Gophers football team are also getting a new stadium instead of sharing the Rollerdrome.

Given the I-35W bridge collapse though, I seriously doubt there is going to be any appetite to replace the Metrodome and the Vikings will be packing their kit around 2011. The T-Wolves will make do with Target Center for the next few years and may elect to develop and run it themselves. There is zero chance of a new basketball arena.

This area is a VERY tough sell for pro sports - our butt cheeks are clenched very tight.