[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jolted from the couch

boat_hacked

You know that whole state is going to break off and sink into the Pacific, don't you? I was out there in San Deigo back around 1988 when there was an earthquake. I thought it was the kids upstairs jumping around. Didn't really feel very much but it was something like 5.4 if I remember correctly.

we just enrolled our daughter in preschool and were up at the school tonight going through orientation with a few other parents. the preschool director was going over various stuff, and she says how they'll occasionally do fire drills. i asked, "what about earthquake drills?" she said they don't really do that because most of the glass in the school was replaced by plexiglass. we went on to another subject, but i am not kidding -- literally two minutes later the whole room started mildly shaking. my wife grabbed my arm and asked if we were having an earthquake (we just moved up here two months ago and she's never been in one). heard it was 5.6 and was centered only about 20 miles from us. it wasn't so much the quake itself as the eerieness of having JUST brought it up that creeped me out.

we just enrolled our daughter in preschool and were up at the school tonight going through orientation with a few other parents. the preschool director was going over various stuff, and she says how they'll occasionally do fire drills. i asked, "what about earthquake drills?" she said they don't really do that because most of the glass in the school was replaced by plexiglass. we went on to another subject, but i am not kidding -- literally two minutes later the whole room started mildly shaking. my wife grabbed my arm and asked if we were having an earthquake (we just moved up here two months ago and she's never been in one). heard it was 5.6 and was centered only about 20 miles from us. it wasn't so much the quake itself as the eerieness of having JUST brought it up that creeped me out.

Wow...I just moved from the bay area a few months ago having lived there for the last 11 years, and never once felt an earthquake. On average there are about 30 earthquakes a week somewhere in the 9 counties that make up the SF bay area. Almost all of them of course are 'minor', and under 3.0 on the Richter...

I've experienced 3 quakes in CA, and I've never even lived there! One was pretty big, back in 195 or there abouts. I was in my hotel room, dead asleep after a long night of cocktails, but I still woke up. It was pretty violent, a 6.1 I think it was. The next day back at company HQ, we had one of those "rolling" aftershocks. It was like my desk was riding on a wave... up and down. Then another in Long Beach a couple years later. That was enough for me. Keep CA with it's fires and quakes. But, at least you don't get many terrorists out there....

I've experienced 3 quakes in CA, and I've never even lived there! One was pretty big, back in 195 or there abouts. I was in my hotel room, dead asleep after a long night of cocktails, but I still woke up. It was pretty violent, a 6.1 I think it was. The next day back at company HQ, we had one of those "rolling" aftershocks. It was like my desk was riding on a wave... up and down. Then another in Long Beach a couple years later. That was enough for me. Keep CA with it's fires and quakes. But, at least you don't get many terrorists out there....

Gawd dammed you're old! :D

:D That's right! California is going to break off and fall into the Pacific Ocean!! Everyone needs to leave right now, and I don't want anyone to move here!!! It's too dangerous!!!!

Sincerely,

Chargerz :D

:D That's right! California is going to break off and fall into the Pacific Ocean!! Everyone needs to leave right now, and I don't want anyone to move here!!! It's too dangerous!!!!

Sincerely,

Chargerz :D

I don't mind the earthquakes, though it has been about a decade since I felt one. But in contrast, at least the hurricanes back in Houston had the good sense to limit themselves to trailer parks and the more rural Walmarts.