[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wally World unadvertised deals(HD DVD player $100)

keggerz

ok i have to ask why....thought that HDMI was HDMI and unless you were running in walls or very long distances that it didnt matter?

oh and this is a good spot to plug www.monoprice.com

Well, in certain respects that's true and jitter, loss and delay (the gremlins of digital data transmission) are profoundly more apparent over longer runs. However, that doesn't mean that jitter, loss and delay can't and don't happen on shorter runs, they do. The question is whether your equipment can compensate for jitter and delay (some can better than others) or if your senses can pick up the loss (most can but the brain tunes it out). All of it manifests itself a muddiness in the overall sound or a lack of clarity in the video portion. Seldom are these gremlins strong enough to manifest as audio or video drop out.

There are many quality factors involving cables besides gauge or insulation properties of the cable, and not all of them are related to amplitude degradation, jitter degradation, propagation delay or skew of the pristine cable. Crushing or bending of these cables can have a severe impact on their performance. Design of the cables can have a large impact on how well cables can maintain their performance when bent, twisted or compressed.

What it really boils down to is that even for HDMI cables, guage of wire, insulation, quality of construction, and quality of connectors are still determining factors as to whether you get as rich and full an audio and video experience as possible. Your budget and willingingness to accept a certain level of imperfections (no audio or video is a completely accurate reproduction of the original performance) determines what you'll eventually end up with.

Kmart Dumps Blu-ray Due to Price

Kmart has decided not to carry Blu-ray players due to their high prices, instead focusing solely on HD DVD this holiday.

I know no one shops at Kmart, but never underestimate the power of Wal-Mart and Kmart to push BluRay out of the game permanently. Sony must be shaking.

Edited by TimC

Kmart Dumps Blu-ray Due to Price

Kmart has decided not to carry Blu-ray players due to their high prices, instead focusing solely on HD DVD this holiday.

I know no one shops at Kmart, but never underestimate the power of Wal-Mart and Kmart to push BluRay out of the game permanently. Sony must be shaking.

not completely true:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/02/no-blue...art-for-blu-ray

Update: Kmart reaffirms this to High-Def Digest saying that "Kmart intends to support both the HD DVD and Blu-ray platforms, and has no plans to support either platform exclusively." We should've also mentioned that PS3s can be found on Kmart's shelves.

HD-DVD under $100 and it'll play pr0n?

Buy-bye Blu Ray.

ahaha that comment is plain silly...

this is a clearance price because the players didn't sell...

what good is selling a player for under 100 bucks when the purchase of 3 movies exceeds the cost of the player?...

the fact is...if HD DVD couldn't sell more discs than blu-ray during Transformers week and Blu-ray had no new movies that week, what does that say about HD DVD?...

I didn't want to go there...but you spewed more crap about the format again :D....even though it is fun :D

Just finished watching my new HD copy on the HD DVD... pretty sweet. :D

I walked into a Sears earlier and they had Transformers playing on a 65" set and I was tempted to price match the HD DVD player at the 99.00 price point....

but I had to fight the urge....

regardless, it is a nice deal....but I would be pretty much buying the player to watch Transformers and Batman Begins in high def......since the other worthy titles are the one's out on Blu-ray and I own them...

Well, in certain respects that's true and jitter, loss and delay (the gremlins of digital data transmission) are profoundly more apparent over longer runs. However, that doesn't mean that jitter, loss and delay can't and don't happen on shorter runs, they do. The question is whether your equipment can compensate for jitter and delay (some can better than others) or if your senses can pick up the loss (most can but the brain tunes it out). All of it manifests itself a muddiness in the overall sound or a lack of clarity in the video portion. Seldom are these gremlins strong enough to manifest as audio or video drop out.

There are many quality factors involving cables besides gauge or insulation properties of the cable, and not all of them are related to amplitude degradation, jitter degradation, propagation delay or skew of the pristine cable. Crushing or bending of these cables can have a severe impact on their performance. Design of the cables can have a large impact on how well cables can maintain their performance when bent, twisted or compressed.

What it really boils down to is that even for HDMI cables, guage of wire, insulation, quality of construction, and quality of connectors are still determining factors as to whether you get as rich and full an audio and video experience as possible. Your budget and willingingness to accept a certain level of imperfections (no audio or video is a completely accurate reproduction of the original performance) determines what you'll eventually end up with.

yuup...HDMI is more suited towards 1080p and also lossless audio.....

but I don't know too many HD-DVD titles that offer lossless audio over your surround system....

plus I fancy the gold plated cables because they seem to last longer for me....

monoprice.com is genius for those looking for a gold plated HDMI cable...

You know, if you can't decide which format to go with then you could always buy one of the players that does both. LG just came out with one recently

if you read the reviews, it's a crappy player...I'm pretty sure it doesn't support any of the special features from either format.....

and considering one of the formats will be gone...it's a waste of money....

in my opinion anyways...

read this interesting tidbit about best buy and the HD DVD HD-A2 player.....

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9519

You can also buy the A3 for $199 now at BB. It comes with 9 free movies. Two are in the box (Bourne Identity and 300), you pick two, and you get the five free online deal as well. :D I need a new DVD player, and this isn't too much more than a good up-converting DVD player. I might get it. Any blu-ray players this cheap yet?

You can also buy the A3 for $199 now at BB. It comes with 9 free movies. Two are in the box (Bourne Identity and 300), you pick two, and you get the five free online deal as well. :D I need a new DVD player, and this isn't too much more than a good up-converting DVD player. I might get it. Any blu-ray players this cheap yet?

nope...not yet...

there's a player for 349...

with the studio support leaning heavily towards blu-ray, they don't have a reason to do a fire sale like this...

HD DVD is marketing their players as an up-conversion player just as much as a HD player :D ....way to move us into the next format Toshiba....

I mean...blu-rays are selling more than DVD's did at this point in their lifecycle when that 1st came out and the disc sales have dwarfed HD DVD all year long....

Blu-ray was won the weekly sales every week since last December...they aren't going to sell their players for 99 bucks and take a severe loss on manufacturing these things.....

Toshiba is pretty much giving these things away....but the average consumer doesn't realize they can't watch stuff like spider-man and pirates on this player.....

I know someone who purchased an up-conversion DVD player and thought it played Blu-ray and HD DVD movies...

it's sad but true...both of these formats are still early in the adoption phase.....but Blu-ray is still managing to receive strong software support considering the format has been around almost a year and a half...