[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Asterisk and the Baseball Hall of Fame

Scooby

How can the Baseball Hall of Fame accept the Barry Bonds homerun ball when it has been vandalized by Marc Echo? Isn't the asterisk dead? The only one in the record books has been removed by Bonds (no longer is the Maris* necessary since he no longer has the record and Bonds had more than 60 HR's after 154 games).

I am not a Barry Bonds fan or supporter of HGH's, but I do love the game. It just seems to me that the Baseball Hall of Fame let this Echo guy BUY INTO baseball history.

The Baseball HOF stance on this is that they are a non-profit organization and all of there memorbilia is given to them and while they are not happy that the ball has been marked they are happy that they are able to display it. Hopefully they display it asterick mark down. While I am any but a fan of Barry Bonds this is a item from the history of baseball and for it to be defaced is ridiculous. It just shows the ignorance of the people who voted for it online.

If I were Barry Bonds, I'd have bought the ball at auction, rather than allow the circus that surrounded its fate to take place.

I am not a Bonds supporter and did not want to see him break the record. However, I do not agree with adding the asterisk. This was a publicity stunt done to drive up sales of Ecko's clothing line. Thus, I don't consider Ecko having spent his own money for the ball, so I really do not think he should have done what he did to it.

IMO, The HOF should NEVER accept any item altered in this fashion. It exists to protect the game's history and not to allow an argument such as this to fester.

buy into history IF they allow the asterisk ball.

whether they allow it or not, it is now a part of history. since the HOF is there to tell the history of baseball, it does not bother me if they bring in the ball. displaying it tells a lot about the times we are living in today, like them or not.

whether they allow it or not, it is now a part of history. since the HOF is there to tell the history of baseball, it does not bother me if they bring in the ball. displaying it tells a lot about the times we are living in today, like them or not.

Agree with this. Well put.

First let me say that the asterisk is on steroids.

As far as the Hall of Fame allowing items/records that have been altered. The minute they allowed any record enhanced by steroids etc they had already lost credibility.

Once they allowed McGuire's drug enhanced records in they opened the door. So who cares that a fan enhanced an item of memoribilia.